Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Marsilio Ficino's "The Book of Life" + Alkindi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBrown

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Marsilio Ficino's "The Book of Life" + Alkindi Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have read "The Book of Life"? If so, do you think it is a worthwhile book for the student of astrology? I just realized I have a copy of the Charles Boer translation, which apparently some people, including Christopher Warnock, are critical of. I am wondering why this is so, for on the back cover of my copy it reads that it is an "exact" translation. I am wondering if traditional astrologers are hostile to the translation because of Boer's connection to neo Jungians such as James Hillman and Thomas Moore?
Anyhow, I would love to read any and all comments.
Also, have any of you read Zoller's tranlation of Alkind's "On the stellar rays."? If so, how is that book, and would you recommend it, as John Frawley does in his two books, to a fellow seeker of true wisdom?
I look forward to hearing from some people, as always on this delightful forum!

Peter
Sue

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I have to agree and say that the Charles Boer translation is quite poor. It is not an exact translation. But, then, there is no such thing as an exact translation because Latin is quite different from English.

One thing that put me off initially is that he is obviously not familiar at all with astrology. He says in his forward that Ficino was born around 9 pm when Saturn was on the ascendant (of Aquarius). The ascendant at that time would have been Taurus or Gemini, I forget which. Saturn was in Aquarius. It took me some time to figure out why he had it so wrong. What Ficino says in his letters is that he was born at around the 21st hour. The 21st hour was around 3pm, giving the correct chart. I think it is a very basic translation with very little in the way of extra information. I didn't know about his other connections to the neo Jungians. Sounds like some sort of a cult. Smile

I strongly suggest that you get the following translation. It will be more expensive than the Charles Boer translation but infinitely better. It is definitely a worthwhile book for more reasons than just the Ficino part. The editors have done an excellent job having both researched the area at great depth. Carol Kaske, in particular, is an expert in the field. The footnotes are extensive and the introduction alone is worth it.

Marsilio Ficino, Three Books on Life, ed. Carol V. Kaske; John R. Clark (Tempe: Arizona Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, 2002).
PBrown

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Thanks, Sue Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the quick reply and recommendation. I will definitely take it.

Now for the other question, though, to forum members: Who has read Alkindi's "On the stellar rays"? I know that some of you must have, for he is supposed to be one of the best "theoriticans of the magical arts"! Someone must have some input! Leery
I look forward to hearing from someone, anyone! Very Happy

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Philosophy & Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: