If one accepts the idea that the origin of the 27 degree Leo/Aquarius emphasis relates to the fixed star Regulus I would suggest we should be shifting our attention to modern nativities with 29 Leo/Aquarius as this is where Regulus has been located for some time. :D

In this context though I think Regulus tells us more about elevating the public profile of the astrologer rather than telling us how good they are at the art itself. There also lots of other zodiac degrees linked to powerful fixed stars. For example 23/24 Libra linked to the highly benefic fixed star Spica.

Personally, the only consistent thing I have noticed in astrology is the disproportionate incidence of Virgo planets (esp the Sun or Moon) amongst professional astrologers. This rather supports the traditional idea of Mercury as the ruler of astrology.

Just in response to the insights floated by Tumbling Sphinx and MarK C that the star Spica in Virgo might have something to do with the "astrologer's degree" of 11 degrees Virgo.

I realize that mythology isn't everyone's cup of astro-tea, but it may make sense here. I would welcome any feedback, as I mull over this topic.

I think there could be something to this, and that it pre-dates classical astrology. Apparently one of the oldest depictions of the constellation Virgo comes from Sumer, where a goddess variously called Nidaba, Nisaba, & cognates was credited with the invention of writing, and was a sort of patron goddess of scribes. Well, writing back then apparently began as a kind of book-keeping in order to keep track of grain stores and rations. Virgo was called "The Furrow" and could be symbolized by a very stylized stalk or sheaf of barley. [cf. Spica=a stalk of grain]

I haven't been able to track this down this down definitively, but this goddess seems also to have been the scribe of the heavens, whose accounting extended to keeping track of stars. The hymn to Nisaba/Nidaba of ca. 2700 BC is suggestive: http://www.gatewaystobabylon.com/gods/l ... etches.htm .

Well, this goddesses' functions become absorbed over time by the Babylonian scribe god Nabu, whose correspondences to the Roman god Mercury are more clear. Then, as now, the planet Mercury was thought to be especially strong in Virgo.

[Sources on google books are: Gavin White, Babylonian Star-Lore; Ulla Koch-Westenholz, Mesopotamian Astrology; and Bruno Meissner et al., Reallexikon der Assyriologie (in English).]

The qualities of Nabu become assimilated ancient Egypt by the god Toth who more clearly is the god of astrology. From Toth, there is a link to the Greek Hermes and Hermes Trismegistos, and so to the Middle Ages; with the planet Mercury said to rule astrology

Virgo has a varying career, also, being ascribed to Demeter, Persephone, Isis, and others; but Spica itself remains pretty constant as the spike of grain.

Apparently in the early decades CE when the Egyptian Dendarah zodiac was constructed, a line drawn from Arcturus to Spica was depicted as the goddess Hathor's original measuring-line for the zodiac. Their "New Years Day of the Ancients" apparently coincided with the heliacal rising of Spica on Oct. 5 [R. Gleadow, The Origins of the Zodiac, 180-182, 204.]

I'd have to leave the working out of the 11th degree of Virgo as the astrologer's degree to someone more knowledgeable than I am, if indeed the above information is relevant.

Thanks for sharing that.

I have Gavin White and Rupert Gleadows' books but wasn't aware the other ones you listed were in google books. Thanks for sourcing your comments.

To often as astrologers we rely exclusively on hellenistic and Roman sources. Mespotanian and Egyptian myths associated with the stars and planets are fascinating and give some extremely useful insights for practical astrology.

waybread wrote:
I think there could be something to this, and that it pre-dates classical astrology. Apparently one of the oldest depictions of the constellation Virgo comes from Sumer, where a goddess variously called Nidaba, Nisaba, & cognates was credited with the invention of writing, and was a sort of patron goddess of scribes. Well, writing back then apparently began as a kind of book-keeping in order to keep track of grain stores and rations. Virgo was called "The Furrow" and could be symbolized by a very stylized stalk or sheaf of barley. [cf. Spica=a stalk of grain]
Well, this goddesses' functions become absorbed over time by the Babylonian scribe god Nabu, whose correspondences to the Roman god Mercury are more clear. Then, as now, the planet Mercury was thought to be especially strong in Virgo.
Very interesting quote.

I agree with you, it should not be Regulus, but Spica.

Liber Hermetis: "From the 1st to the 3rd degree there arises Spica......from the 1st to the 7th are Mercury terms, and it is called wisdom, philosophy, geometry, mechanics: so many will become orators, astrologers and astronomers."

But in every case, in the very 11th degree there arises Lucina sitting with a child. She is Isis in Teucer and the Beautiful Virgo in Albumasar, and both sit with their child, as Lucina.

Juno Lucina gave origin to the Milky Way from a drop of her milk and the Virgin is venerated as the Regina Coeli, the Queen of the Sky.
Not so far from astrology...
Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Hi All !

I would like to meet people with esoteric interest and share my experiences. I always had a desire to learn in depths regarding astrology and divination, and I have 1-2 years semi-professional experience with Tarrot fortune telling. I am very open minded and I would like to learn more respectfully from those who have more professional working experience in this field. Thought I'm an amateur, I take this very seriously and I give all my best to further develop my skills, help and guidance is appreciated.

famous croatian astrologer, originally shepard, made a lot of work on degree meaning. His name was Mile Dupor.

I saw that many people how are good in astrology have

1. something between 25-29 Virgo
2. egypt astrology - 26 aries
3. 11 Pisces also - i don t know why.
4. strong 9 house - house of astrology.
As long as you remember me I ll never be too far