As we are on the subject of house rulers this seems as good a place as any to seek an answer to an issue I have been wondering about.

I have Jupiter rising exactly on the ASC and trine everything in sight. Terrific all the moderns say. On the other hand it is my 8th and 12th house ruler. So is this a case of just accidental dignity by Jupiter's placement or as one person suggested to me 'accidental debility' due to the planets association with these houses?

Should the emphasis be given to a benefic influencing traditionally negative houses or rather the benefic being weakened by its association with these houses?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I goofed!! Mark said clearly Jupiter in Sagittarius and my fertile imagination switched that to Scorpio. I made a mistake and my remarks can be ignored. I am not of the opinion that sign=planet=house and that's what my remark seemed to indicate. I didn't mean it, honest.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tom

MarkF wrote:
So I looked at my own chart, and my 8th house ruler is Jupiter in Sagittarius in the 8th house. So what does that mean? Don?t pull any punches. We all have to go sometime.
Mark,

Morin's technique cannot be taken in isolation from the entire chart. The ruler of the 8th in the 8th would probably mean that the death may be a thing unto itself, not necessarily connected with the other houses. This would be similar to the ASC-ruler in the 1st signifying a self-sufficient person. Is Jupiter the only planet in the 8th? Is Jupiter Almuten of the 8th?

Jupiter also rules Pisces, which is probably the 11th (friends) or 12th (illness, hospitals) cusp in this chart with Sagitarrius on the 8th so that friends or illness/hospitalization could also be implicated in the death. If Jupiter is significantly aspected by other planets, they will also help determine the death and other 8th house matters. Antiscion contacts with Jupiter will also be relevant. If Jupiter is in Sagittarius in the 8th, it's quite benefic so a "good" death is indicated.

As in all delineations we need to synthesize all the factors that impinge on the 8th house and its rulers to come to any conclusion.

Tony

Tom wrote:

I thought there was birth data on this forum, but there isn't so I didn't copy down Steve Irwin's birth data that was shown at my astrology club's meeting this afternoon. What I recall is this: he had Aquarius rising with Mercury just above the ASC and Mars just below it. Scorpio was on the MC. Having the ruler of the house of death in the ASC is an indication that the native somehow particpates in the manner of his death. This doesn't always mean suicide, but Irwin did take risks, and this last one cost him his life.
Mars ruling the MC and being in the first is an indication of honors in the lifetime.
Tom,

If you find Steve Irwin's data, would you post it. One Internet site gave FEB 22, 1962 at 1 AM in Essendon Australia. I'm not sure how valid the time is. It is attributed to an Australian astrologer. This chart has Capricorn rising, Cancer on the 8th cusp, and the Moon in Virgo in the 10th, which would show his death connected to his profession. The chart you cite is a 4 AM chart.

Tony

Tony,

I believe the time we used was 4:25 AM. AEST - 10 hours. This gives 13 Aquarius rising. Ken Negus said he found two times (did not say where) ten minutes apart so he split the difference. The 4:25 time puts Mercury, fairly close to the ASC, and Mars Lord 10 is also close to the ASC giving honors from the career.

I'll try to narrow this down a bit more, but regardless it is a speculative time until somone can document it.

Tom