http://www.new-library.com/zoller/featu ... orld.shtml
this article is called "medievel astrology in the modern world".

he has others but they cost (not to much though).

Paran's were used first.
Bernadette Brady is a good source to look for these and how they were (and now) used then.

Then the mathmatical skills came into being that provided a way to cast horoscopes (the nativity/mundane chart).
there is the sidereal and tropical zodiac from which one can cast a horoscope.

Vedic astrology today is very much as it was centuries ago.
(Modern) Western astrology is not what it was many centuries ago.

There was a group called "Project Hindsight" that translated many works into english a decade or so ago. You might do a google on that also.

This is a wide and myriad search you are on, I wish you happy hunting, it is a very interesting subject.

Perhaps I mis-understand, but are you asking about where the Modern newspaper horoscope, verses Traditional astrology comes from?

Because if I'm not mistaken, the modern two byte sun sign Horoscope came along in the 20th century? Granny

It's usually attributed to RH Naylor in August 1930. However, he didn't actually write a twelve sign column until January 1936 in Prediction magazine.

The first horoscope column in the twelve sign format appeared in January 1932 in an American magazine called Your Destiny and appears to have been written by William Franks. At least that's the earliest I've found.

The first astrological newspaper column was, of course, by William Lilly.

The first book that suggested that you put the Sun on the ascendant and use solar houses (as in a horoscope column) was John ab Indagine's A compendious description on of Natural Astrology never so briefly handled before published in 1522.

The first big selling Sun sign book was The Shepherds Calendar of 1490.

Babylonian zodologia was Sun sign astrology.

And I just wrote a book on the subject... :D

Kim
www.kimfarnell.co.uk