Exam horary

Dear all!
I am having a hard time to answer a horary question about me. I will take the exam Toefl and ask the question will I pass the exam?
In the chart I am the ruler of Asc. Mercur is in 29 degree Leo retrograding. And the exam is the ruler of 10th house (Gemini Mercury again). So the exam and me have the same ruler.
Even though Mercury is in an angular house but it retro and is about to change the sign which I did not like it. Also I know that 29 degree is an unfortunate one isn't it?
Now I am looking at the Moon. It is in detriment in Capricorn and about to be oppose Mercury. I think the answer is no. What do you think? Any insight?
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?btyp ... 110&nho2=1

Jasmine

Jasmine, you have given us the link to your account! :shock:

Instead, go to the chart you want to show us, then click on the chart to bring up the 'printable version'.

After that, copy and paste the URL from *that* chart; that way, we only get the URL for the chart, and not the URL for your Astrodienst account (which we can't access, anyway!).

Give it a go... :)

I believe that the 9th would rule exams, not the 10th, as 9th is ruler of higher education. In this case, ruler is Venus in Gemini, with reception to you as Mercury by rulership/triplicity.

However, as you have noted, Moon is in Capricorn, in mutual application by opposition to Mercury (and you are retrograde); the retrograde in itself might suggest that you have to retake the exam, and with the moon not well-placed... :-?

Hi Jasmine,

You might like to think about using the 9th house ruler for the exam. It seems appropriate for the learning and fits nicely with TOEFL being directly related to a foreign language. The ruler of the 9th is Venus in the 10th house. Mercury makes sense as your significator. I haven't looked at the chart properly yet but thought I would just mention it. The fact that a planet is at 29 degrees does not make it intrinsically bad or difficult as far as I am concerned. When a planet is at a very late degree it can be a sign, particularly when a significator, that the situation is about to change in some way. However, Mercury is retrograde so it is moving away from that late degree into an earlier one.

Judging by your post you seem to do pretty well with English so I hope the exam will be a success for you.

Cheers
Sue

10th house =profit from knowledge

Thanks archergirl. But I also thought it must be the ninth house but 10 house= profit from knowledge, as Frawley says.
What I am wondering is if the ruler of the querent and quesited is same, does it signify anything special?

They change the system in the exam and it will be harder. Moon in Capricorn could represent this hard situation?

Thanks

Also..

"The 29th degree shows some misfortune connected with the matter; the person or matter asked about is changing, at the end of his rope or patience, or desperate"

"Goldstein-Jacobsone says that a planet in 29? shows that a person is "about to make a definite change." It can also show desperation, impatience, misfortune."

I think most astrologers would go for the 9th, not the 10th, as traditional ruler of higher learning; Sue is right, also, that the 9th would represent 'foreign language'. The reception between Mercury (you) /Venus (exam), although not especially strong, may mitigate some of the difficulties elsewhere in the chart.

Where significators are the same for quesitor and quesited, take the Moon as ruler of the quesitor and the house ruler for the quesited. If you were, indeed, Mercury and the exam was Mercury, you would take the Moon as yourself and Mercury for the exam. There is no real 'significance' to this, I don't think; sometimes a planet will co-rule two houses that are related to the question somehow, but always use the Moon for the questioner if in doubt.

As for the late degree, as Sue notes you are moving _away_ from the degree, not applying, so you may get some relief. Still, it may be that the exam proves difficult.

Best of luck!

I haven't seen the chart but I don't think 29 Leo is as an unfortunate degree. Far from it.

This degree is conjunct the fixed star Regulus. This is one of the four 'royal stars' associated with success and honours. According to Lilly this is the most positive of all the fixed stars (others have their favourities such as Spica, or Betelgeuse( Brady). Lilly was so keen on the power of this fixed star he gave it a 5 degree orb!

It may not be decisive but it does seem to tilt the judgement in a more positive direction

Mark

29 degrees is considered a 'critical degree', but only in particular signs (I forget which ones right now; I believe it may be the cardinal signs). 29 degrees itself is neither positive or negative, unless it conjuncts either a benefic or malefic fixed star or constellation. 29 Taurus, for example, is the Weeping Pleiades (a fate to weep about), but 29 Leo is Regulus, one of the noblest Fixed Stars. It should be a minor consideration in a horary where the answer is a fairly simple 'yes/no', but critical degrees *are* sometimes helpful when looking at a chart in greater depth.