To Yuzuru,
In profections (by sign, not house as Zoller do), if there is a planet in the natal sign, he will be lord of profection IF in the solar return it aspect by sign the Prof sign.
This approach seems to accord with my questioning and what follows with solar return does seem a complementary to what I learned from R.Zoller, which he states as some astrologers' practice but he himself goes with the profections of the natal only.

W.Lilly also uses it in his CA Vol.3 almost the way R.Zoller teaches. He takes the ruler of the profected house as the "lord of the year" and looks to its natal and profectional house placement. However he also refers to the solar revolution if my memory doesn't fail me.

Could you give the source of your approach?
Did you also compare your method to the others?

I feel that the two approaches should not be taken as rivals but as complementing each other. I usually like reconciliations when possible :brows

Thanks,
Sigma

Sigma

If my approach isn?t in some way irrelevant for the subject (and I hope it is useful), I would like to give a different perspective over the issue of profectio versus natal chart or solar return.

So I would first establish a rule. A priori I want to say that this rule is in some way inspired by the work of Placido Titi, Coelestis Philosophia.
The rule would sounds like this: an element (a planet in principal, but also a lot/Arabic part, or a house) has the virtue to determine a particular event only if it is in titled in some way and by something with this aptitude.
Conclusion: no potential no significance for the event.

After giving this rule I would like to give also a small example. For example we have profectio of Mars over natal Jupiter. Now the question would be: is in some way relevant Jupiter for the issues governed by Mars? If it is, how? And if we find the role of Jupiter in some future event signified by profectio of Mars, how thing are going to happen (in other words, ultimate prediction)? Of course the rule is mainly relevant for the first question, for the second and the third things become more complicated. If in the natal chart Jupiter is in trine with the Mars for example, than Jupiter has the virtue to determine in some way the future events.
Things happen, I think, similar in the case of profectio versus solar return, or primary direction versus natal chart, or transit versus natal chart (even if transits are more like clocks).

In the end, what is after all the relevance for this topic of this rule?
Well, I think that if we first take in consideration this rule, we wouldn?t be forced to choose between position and rulership, or at least it would be easier.