Accidental deletion of Yod thread

I?m sorry to everyone involved and to everyone who has put time and effort into this thread, but I?ve made a mistake in trying to keep the Yod thread ?on topic? and ended up deleting the whole thing by mistake. Once deleted from the database, I don?t have any way to restore it.

I obviously need to explain. I toyed with the idea of moving some of the posts regarding grammatical sloppiness into a new thread in the news and notices forum, so that this controversial issue (which was bound to attract more response) wouldn?t disrupt the discussion about the Yod. I also thought it would be better to have that discussed as a general principle rather than in reference to one member?s contribution, who seems to have been highlighted because it was felt it detracted from the value of his good content (as opposed to sloppiness in posts of no real substance which have never caused comment). To be careful, I first copied the whole thread over and left its ?shadow? in the original forum. But as I was doing this I noticed someone made a new response that I hadn?t seen, then I realised that this posts intertwined both issues so that it would be much harder to separate the comments than I thought.

Thinking that I?d merely created a copy of the original thread, I then deleted the new one I created and gave up on the idea of trying to intervene. I wasn?t aware that this would delete the ?shadow? topic as well because they were tied together in the database. So now all is lost!

I really am sorry for those people affected. This had never happened before and now I realise the situation it obviously won?t happen again. If people want to talk about the Yod again there?s no option but to start a new topic in the main forum. But if the discussion on grammatical issues continues, please place your comments here so that we can keep general forum issues out of discussions on astrological principles.

Apologies again
Deb

PS - I am going to rename this forum "News, notices, books, links and forum gripes" so that any other general suggestions on content in the forum can go here.

Deb,

You aren?t alone in tangling with shadow threads. While you were away in July I learned that shadow threads aren?t deletable* copies of a moved thread. What we ended up with was an ongoing thread appearing in two forums, with me sitting in front of my computer dying a thousand deaths for shame and embarrassment. As the thread was new and only consisted of posts by the forum member and myself ? including my explanation that what everyone sees happening is called a shadow thread ? I thought clearly enough to tell the member to copy, paste and start a new thread, then I would delete the original one. But I had it easy: the member was still around and there hadn?t been any other member posts that needed to be saved. Judging by the number of views during the fiasco, it appears that the whole affair has probably been a secret between two of us. But I?ve always had the suspicion that there could be one other person who saw my ragged forum technical skills...

I now know to remove the check from the box when asked if I want a shadow thread.

* According to Word spell check and the Shorter OED there is no such word. Preposterous! If there isn?t, there should be.