No more Xena, now Eris

So much for Xena...

UB313 was named Eris yesterday (goddess of strife and discord, Roman equivalent Discordia) and its Moon Dysnomia (the daughter of Eris known as the spirit of lawlessness.)

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=22045

For people who like this sort of thing....
Eris is the Greek goddess of discord and strife. She is Ares' constant companion and follows him everywhere. Eris is sinister and mean, and her greatest joy is to make trouble. She has a golden apple that is so bright and shiny everybody wants to have it. When she throws it among friends, their friendship come to a rapid end. When she throws it among enemies, war breaks out, for the golden apple of Eris is the Apple of Discord. She did this once during the wedding of Peleus and Thetis, and this act brought about the Trojan War.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/e/eris.html

Cross referencing news sites gives 14:00 BST today for the announcement. And someone told me at 14:11 :D

Kim
www.kimfarnell.co.uk

Eris? description and story does sound like the state of the world these days. Iran wanting the golden apple? Terrorists throwing their apple of fear? Over here Republicans and Democrats have been giving us a strudel feast.

Damn.

It seemed so obvious I didn't think it was worth saying, but I can't resist being the one to bring it up.

Eris is lawless. Dysmonia is the spirit of lawlessness.

Am I really the only one here who actually watches Xena? You know, the show starring Lucy Lawless?

Symbolism doesn't always have to be clever :D

Kim
www.kimfarnell.co.uk

Lucy means ?light?.
Good one. Thank God someone knows what I'm on about. I thought I'd have to keep on talking to fourteen year olds.

Xena's satellite is, of course, Gabrielle. Played by Renee O'Connor. The reborn, wilful one if you want to dissect her real name.

It's so tidy. The IAU chose the only corresponding mythological name to Xena. Nothing's really changed :D

No, surely not. The IAU don't have such a sense of humour - do they?

Kim
www.kimfarnell.co.uk

Considering she is stuck at 20-25 Aries for the next 20 years, seems to me she is pretty well covered by the mars connection. ;-)

that is an interesting point in the sky for now I think. and that Planet has a very eliptical orbit, so wondering how things will transpire.

Granny

I think astrologers will like the sound of this.
Especially those into the mundane/cultural/trans-personal end of the business. Seems apt with all the current warmongering/democratizing going on. My thingummmy shows it doesn't ingress into Taurus until May 2045. Might just get to be there if neither Uncle Sam nor Old Nick get me first.