The 4 crosses in astrology

Hello yet again,

I was sorting out my notes the other day (in my head) on the importance of the "crosses" in astrology. As I can immediately remember, there are 4 important "crosses" astrologers seem to refer to:-

1. The cross of matter which is determined to the place and native himself i.e. Asc-Dsc, IC-MC. Any planets that are very near to these crosses are considered very important and powerful to the native (being angular and in close orb to these crosses). The timing of entry of progressed/transiting planets into these 4 points are also easier to observe as Asc, MC, DSC, IC are each in the same degree & sign on the zodiac for almost all house systems.

2. The seasonal cross, the 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes. Sun's entry into the sign Aries (intersection of ecliptic and celestial equator) is of course the beginning of the tropical zodiac. The sun's entry into these points is observed diligently by the ancients in their work on Mundane astrology (those ingress charts...) esp. when charts of the country/nation/rulers are not available.

3. The lunar cross, New moon-Full moon, 1st quater-3rd quater. It is called "marakiz" in Kusyair Ibnu Labban's Introduction to Astrology. It is determined through pre-natal syzygy. If your pre-natal syzygy is new moon (waxing birth), let's say in 10 Taurus, then you'll have your lunar cross at 10 Taurus-10 Scorpio, 10 Leo-10 Aquarius. If your pre-natal syzygy is full moon (waning birth) and the full moon was in 20 Sag, then you'll have your lunar cross on 20 Sag-20 Gem, 20 Pis-20Virgo. Planets on the lunar cross are given special consideration though many of the ancients take note of the degree of the previous new/full moon only.

4. The nodal cross. North Node (Rahu/Caput Draconis) and South Node (Ketu/Cauda Draconis) are always opposite to each other. It is of course tempting to draw another line perpendicular to both nodes and those 2 points are square to both nodes. These 4 points make up the nodal cross. Planet on the point squaring both nodes is called planet at the bends (If I am not mistaken a term originated from Lee Lehman). Planet at the bends is considered very important in the determination of profession (Bernadette Brady).

It is interesting to note that the signs on the cross share the same quadruplicities/qualities/mode (Moveable/Cardinal or Solid/Fixed, or Mutable/Common).

Modern astrologers also take "accidental crosses" made by planets being important in their delineation (those Grand Cross/Square).

Any other crosses I missed?

Hi Astrojin,

At this moment it comes in my mind the so called Four Guardians of Heaven: Aledebaran, Fomalhault, Regulus, Antares.

At one time they marked the two Equinoxes and two Solstices. Aldebaran marked the
zero Aries point in 3044 BC, Antares marked zero Libra 3052 BC, Fomalhaut marked zero Capricorn, 2582 BC, Regulus marked zero Cancer 2345 BC.

Now they are not quite a perfect cross

Planet on the point squaring both nodes is called planet at the bends (If I am not mistaken a term originated from Lee Lehman).
Bendings is a term that goes back to traditional astrologers. Ptolemy used the Greek equivalent.

I can't say for sure that it is the only use, but the most common use of the term "at the bendings" that I've seen is a planet in partile square to the Moon's nodes. It is said to represent an individual at a crossroads, or in a positon where an important decision must be made.

Tom

Tom wrote:I can't say for sure that it is the only use, but the most common use of the term "at the bendings" that I've seen is a planet in partile square to the Moon's nodes. It is said to represent an individual at a crossroads, or in a positon where an important decision must be made.
Tom
Looks like true to me. I?ve Moon squares Nodes, and moon rules N.Node in 9th house.Once we?ve made decision to emigrate.
Also Astrojin says that planet on squares to Nodes defines profession. Well, Moon in trine to Mars in 10th anyways, but it?s in Aries. So, Aries relates someway to engineer?s profession, and Moon to home, housing ? an architectural profession quite fits:).