Determining the Anareta.

Hi all,

If the anareta can be the ruler of the eighth, the almuten of the ruler of the eighth, any planet in the eighth house, or either of the malefics, then which of these potetially many planets in a persons chart would be considered to be the anareta.

In my own chart, Venus rules the eighth, and the almuten of Venus is Mercury. Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter are in the eighth and of course, Mars and Saturn are thrown into the mix in that they are malefics.

How then do I find which one of these contenders is the actual anareta, over all others?

Do I look to Mercury or Saturn, because Mercury is marked out as anaretic twice, in that it is in the eight and almuten of the ruler of the eighth, as is Saturn in the eighth as well as being naturally malefic?

Do I look to these fives planets and determine which of these has the least dignities, and consider this to be anareta?

I am guessing here, but I would guess that Mercury and Saturn are the prime candidates, because they are each marked twice with anaretic characteristics. So I am to look at which of these has least dignities?

Mercury and Saturn are conjoined in Libra in my chart, but Mercury fares worse than Saturn as Saturn is in his sign of exaltation. So is Mercury my anareta?

Also, if there are five hylegiacal houses, then should the other seven not be considered anaretic?

I am confused, surely there cannot be five anaretic planets in my chart. How do you go about determining which one planet is the anareta as opposed to the hyleg??

I seem to get some of the more interesting questions when I'm in a hotel far from my references. I'll look when I get back this weekend, assuming no one else answers first, but my instinct is to go with Saturn as he he has a natural affinity with the 8th house and destruction.

I'm pretty sure this is addressed in one or more of the older texts.

Also, is either Mars or Saturn in hard aspect to the hyleg? If so, that would be a good first choice.

Tom

If the anareta can be the ruler of the eighth, the almuten of the ruler of the eighth, any planet in the eighth house, or either of the malefics, then which of these potetially many planets in a persons chart would be considered to be the anareta.
It?s usual to try to identify one hyleg (life giver) but I don?t think there is just one Anareta. If you think of it simply as a potentially destructive planet or place, the one that is most relevant is the one that interferes with the hyleg.

The trick is to first identify the hyleg as the planet or point that has the greatest influence upon vitality (see http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/hyleg.html for an explanation of how to do this). Then you look for contacts or directions from the hyleg to planets or places that are capable of destruction (I would also include the cusp of the 8th house). That denotes a period where there is a potential danger to life. But in the traditional theory the life may not necessary be lost at that point, especially if beneficial planets are also creating aspects at the same time. Still, you would expect some sort of crisis or danger during that period. As you can only expect a possibility of danger you continue to examine future contacts/directions, looking for other times of potential threat ? the one that is greatest is that which is most hostile (usually a difficult aspect to a destructive planet without any aid from beneficial planets occurring simultaneously).

If you have a copy of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus, he gives some good examples of identifying periods of danger during the life, and pointing out the time of actual death, in his third chapter.

greetings,

I looked at the link but it didn't seem to tell one how to determine either the life giver or the dangerous planet, partly, I think, because it makes references it seems to assume one knows the answer to ? for instance it speaks about Hylegal houses, without mentioning what those might be, so it would be difficult to determine what planets were being dangerous to them.

Would you mind pointing out a few more references? I do have the CA printed out(though I haven't read it recently) so if you tell me where in there I might find it I will go look it up. I thought this was an interesting question.

Granny.

If you check the link again, it does tell you what the hylegiacal places are, and the order of preference ? and also gives a reference to where Lilly described this in Christian Astrology: pp.527-529.

There might be other explanations of the term on the internet, so it?s worth running a check on Google or Yahoo.

Okay trying to think this through. If for example Sun and Venus are in 7 and moon is in 10, (obviously a diurnal chart, sigh) the Sun would be the Hyleg Planet?

I didn't see what would be anaretic degree, but I'm still working on this. Ruler of eighth in this case is Venus in 7 (also ruler of 1st) so is it possible for Venus to be Anareta?

also I am still uncertain how asc or MC could be Hyleg?

I will read some CA when I get home.

Granny

PS it occurs to me that Deb knows why this is a diurnal chart, but for someone trying to learn you wouldn't so, for others edification; if the sun is in houses 1-6, it is a night, nocturnal, chart, the sun is bellow the horizon, if the sun is in houses 7-12 it is a Day or Diurnal chart. The sun is Above the horizon. if you look at a chart then visually this should be an 'aha!' moment. if not feel free to bug me for more info. G

Hello everybody,

Bernadette Brady wrote an article on the use of Hyleg and Alchocoden in calculating life force (or length of life) with some examples (acrobat file or pdf) in the following link:

http://www.bernadettebrady.com/articles.htm

Just go to the very end of the list.

Another useful acrobat/pdf file that you can download is in the files sections in yahoo group angelicus merlin

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/angelicusmerlin

You have to be a member. Then you go to the files section and download a file named HylegAndAlcocoden.pdf which gives you a summary of calculation of hyleg and alchocoden according to various ancient/medieval authors!

You might also want to read

http://www.astrodatabank.com/AS/ASWhoWillSurvive.htm

In this article Ken Gillman, editor of Considerations, uses classical astrology techniques to predict which of the children in the Dunblane massacre were most likely to survive the assault. You could also read the comments from others to Ken's article!

On Anareta and killing planet you might want to go over Timperman's article

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/regulus ... planet.htm

Yet, another one "The Alchocoden and its use" by Gary Price

http://www.astrologus.org/natal/alco.html
Last edited by astrojin on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Hello again,

The ancients used hyleg/apheta and alchocoden to measure the approximate length of life and this is only one of the methods used. It is actually the calculation of one's life force, the battery one has. Life is not suddenly snuffed away once the alchocoden is finished - it is just a state of weakness where when faced with even the slightest health complications, a native dies (especially in ancient times when a simple flue could kill a weak person).

In modern times, life can still be preserved with technology and medical advances (and this is expensive!!!). So, being practical, we would then advice clients to take up comprehensive medical insurance to support themselves say, a couple of years before their alchocoden is finished in case they have to go through health problems...provided our calculation is correct!

If there is an adverse direction/transit involving hyleg/asc/ruler of asc and malefics/anareta, it is probably not going to kill the native if his alchocoden is not finished yet.

A note:
Hyleg and alchocoden method does not predict death via accidents and violent deaths (e.g. murdered). This is why you hear the ancients saying that (using Hyleg and Alchocoden), this is the number of years you have (give or take because we need to include direction) provided you are not pushed over the cliff or run over by chariots. Of course, if you have an accident (even a minor one) after your alchocoden is finished, there is still cause for fear because the body is weak and recuperation is going to be difficult.
So if you predict healh problems and this occurs before your alchocoden is finished - you probably survive as your body is strong esp. when benefic(s) cast aspect...
If you have health problems after your alchocoden is finished, then (well you know) esp. when you see no helping aspects from benefic(s).

Can a person be killed with strong hyleg and an alchocoden that gives 120 years? Yes. This cannot be seen through alchocoden. This is the "pushed over the cliff and run over by chariot bit". The ancients have a handful of methods in predicting violent deaths (see previous threads). Of course, if you are knocked over by someone and your hyleg is strong + your alchocoden is long way to go, you could still survive because you have strong recuperation.

My next post will address the brief outline I usually take...

Hello yet again,

Step 1
Understand that length of life is the province of God - God knows best

Step 2
Understand that the methods outline below do not cover catastrophic deaths through humans or nature e.g. massacres, wars, pestilence, natural catastropies (earthquakes, tsunamis, flood, ...). Catastrophic events are not shown in the natal charts. They are shown in mundane chart(s). Many who were born in very different times (and places) die at about the same time in a catastrophic event as mundane is superior to natal.

Step 3
Understand also that the steps outline below do not cover violent deaths. The ancients have different method of extracting charts that have indicators of violent deaths. If the indicators of violent death are present, the timing can be gauged from there (at least not using Alchocoden directly).

For the following steps (Hyleg and Alchocoden) I use Bonatti's method (with some alterations).

Step 4
Check whether the native falls into the first (infant does not take nourishment) or the second differentia (infant takes nourishment but not reared) - see Bonatti (among others).

This is done when parent(s) come for consultation. Obviously an adult would not fall into first or second differentia!

If the native does not fall into first or second differentia, then only we proceed to find the hyleg. (You could use Bonatti's, Ptolemy's, Lilly's, ...). As mentioned above, we would skip step 4 if we are calculating for an adult.

Step 5
Find the hyleg. If the chart has no hyleg, then it automatically falls into third differentia birth (native usually does not pass age 12). If the native does pass age 12, any adverse direction of Asc/ruler of Asc/luminary to malefics (via conjunctions or aspects) are considered dangerous years...

Step 6
If a hyleg is found then the native falls into fourth differentia birth. In Bonatti's scheme, the Alchocoden is found together with the Hyleg. From the Alchocoden and the table of major, middle and minor years, the length of life is calculated. The essential and accidental dignities of the Alchocoden give major, middle or minor years. Benefic aspects (conj., trine, sextile) from benefics to Alchocoden add years, malefic aspects (conj., oppopsition, square) from malefics to Alchocoden reduce years...

Step 7
Once you have obtained the number of years (not an easy task as you probably would come out with more than one hyleg AND Alchocoden), this is the life force given by the chart. The ancients would say that this is the length of life provided you do not get pushed over the cliff or run over by chariots!

Step 8
Check all adverse primary directions (directions via oblique ascensions) of the hyleg to the anaretic degrees. All adverse directions that occur prior to the years given by the Alchocoden are fearful years but should not be lilfe threatening. The adverse directions that occur following the years of the Alchocoden are more worrying...esp. if the Fridaria period confirms it e.g. you have major Fridaria of malefic with minor Fridaria of hyleg after the Alchocoden years. Sometimes the adverse directions can be avoided if powerful benefics also aspecting the hyleg at the same time.

The "anaretic degrees" can be the

1) positions of the malefics (Mars and Saturn)
2) degrees opposite and square the malefics
3) benefics when they are with malefics (especially when they happen be in and/or ruling bad houses i.e. 12th, 8th 6th and sometimes 7th)
4) cauda draconis (south node)
5) malefic fixed stars
6) cusps of certain anti-lilfe houses (e.g. 8th house cusp, sometimes 7th house cusp, 4th house cusp, 6th house cusp) and look also to their rulers
7) parts of death and of killing planet and their rulers

What we look for is probably one or two anaretic degrees that have the greatest testimonies of being anaretic.

A LOT or work, and yet you might get it wrong!