Xena?

Looks like the group of scientists who discovered the "10th planet" recently have already christened it...Xena! They seem unanimous on this and are not considering any other names....

I wonder what this new planet might signify astologically??

Names

Hehehehe, maybe this planet symbolises the degeneration of western culture !
After all, seems funny that the planets would be: Jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune, pluto and xena, the princess warrior !

The fact is that the astrological community puts too much an enphasis in the name of theplanet, and not in his effects over time...

Hope it would be something like Nemesis, or the moirae... we are really needing a shake up
Yuzuru

Kirk: I think it should be called Bob.
:lala

For some completely unknown and unfathomable reason this conjures pictures of an Old English Sheepdog for me!

And for those not in the know - many moons ago there was a TV series called Xena, Warrior Princess which was filmed in NZ. Its "statuesque" Auckland born star received a lot of media coverage downunder.

Kirk: I think it should be called Bob.
Given that astrological exegisis of the interpretation of planets proceeds by neo-platonist logic, seriously where would one start uncovering its meaning with a name like called Bob? Bob the Builder? Bob's your Uncle? Cap'n? :)

Xena is clearly a pet name: X'th planet. So even astronomers aren't immune from a bit of neo-platonism on the side :). It has merely a designation until the astronomical Authorities officially christen it (it had better not be Blair). Numerologists can of course get busy straight away on "2003 UB313".

It's current distance from Sol is said to be about 100 AU. Counts of the perihelion distances of comets have long shown significant clustering around 90 AU, leading to speculation that there was another significant body that far out.

My suggestion is therefore that it could be Rudhyar's Proserpine/Persephone. ZET includes an ephemeris for Proserpine that puts it at approx 85 AU, with an inclination of 3 degrees or so, compared to Xena's said to be about 45 degrees. That Xena is currently in Cetus, whereas ZET has Proserpine in Libra, is what you would expect for a hitherto hypothetical planet.

The mythology of Proserpine is well-founded (unlike the Bobs and Xenas of this universe).

More astrological details at http://www.astro23.connectfree.co.uk/proserpina.html

I still vote for a more strong name like Medusa :-)
There are a lot of good names who were already used in the planetoids, unfortunately :-(
i would like a name like prometheus, for example (despite the fact that Uranus is more of prometheus than really Uranus...)
Hope is a feminine name, there are too many boys in this club, make hard to find the gender of the baby in horary about pregnancy :-)

Yuzuru
PS: Ah, Bob is one of the best names I ever heard for a planet, but I don?t think we can push this onto the world media !

A search on the internet revealed that Xena has no basis in "real" Greek mythology whatsoever!

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel a bit uncomfortable about naming a planet purely after a pop culture icon! :,

?For thus says the Lord God: Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. As a shepherd seeks out his flock when some of his sheep have been scattered abroad, so will I seek out my sheep; and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness.? [Ezekiel 34: 11,12; (Revised Standard Version)]

Will humanity foolishly turn its back on kindly Bob, the Old English sheepdog?
Sungem was given a timely vision.

A search on the internet revealed that Xena has no basis in "real" Greek mythology whatsoever!
Kurgal! You didn't!!! :lala :lala

And to think I never really believed all those stories about Kiwis until now :lol: :bl :lol:

Kirk - thank you for a good laugh! :lol: :lol:

I'm beginning to agree with Yuzuru:
Ah, Bob is one of the best names I ever heard for a planet
:lala :lala

kurgal wrote:A search on the internet revealed that Xena has no basis in "real" Greek mythology whatsoever!

Call me old-fashioned, but I feel a bit uncomfortable about naming a planet purely after a pop culture icon! :,
I read that the discoverers said that they'd wanted to give the name "Xena " to any objetc for a long time and they decided to use it for that planet. So the name is not even derived from any symbol or synchronicity related to the planet. :-?