Rectification problems

I have joined the forum after reading it for a couple of weeks. So far I have been mainly interested in modern astrology, but it is rectification of my chart that drew me to traditional methods, and I would appreciate some help, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Here is the data: January 14th, 1965. Pancevo, Serbia. The recorded time is 2:00pm, but my mother says I was born around 1:30pm, and my grandmother says it was around 2:30pm. So, the time interval to consider would be between 1:00pm and 2:30pm, which means the Ascendant should be Gemini or early Cancer. I tried rectification using important life events and transits, but did not manage to come to any definite conclusion. So, I turned to ancient methods of Trutina Hermetis and Animodar. Trutina Hermetis gave me 2 possible results for ascendant - 18th degree of Gemini and 3rd degree of Cancer. It is difficult to decide between these two based on personality traits or physical appearance, because in the first case the Moon is near the Gemini ascendant, and in the second case the ascendant ruler is the Moon in Gemini - either way one can account for both signs' influence. Animodar presented me with another problem - the pre-natal lunation was the New Moon on January 2nd 1965, 10:06pm - the lunation degree is 12 degrees 17 min of Capricorn. So, at this position, Saturn and Mars get equal number of points for most essential dignities and they are both closer to MC-IC axis. Which one should I use?
Another question I have is regarding Lilly's tables of planetary strengths. Taking 18th degree of Gemini as Ascendant, I calculated planetary strengths, and got a strange result - the strongest planet in the chart turned out to be Mars, which is neither in its own sign, nor exaltation, and not even angular. It also does not rule any planets. On the other hand, Mercury rules Ascendant, Sun, Venus, Mars and Moon and is angular, while Saturn rules 3 planets (Mercury,Venus,Sun) and is angular as well - the table does not assign any points for rulerships - how can that be correct ? Am I doing something wrong ?