What's Going on in the USA?

The news here is naturally filled with stories of the destruction of ew Orleans, and the immediate effects. However, there is a combination of events occuring that we might want to look at.

1) Prior to Katirina, President Bush appointed John Roberts to sit on the US Supreme Court filling the vacancy left by the retiring Justice Sandra Day O' Conner. These positions are filled for life and require the "advice and consent" of the US Senate. What looked like a significant fight over the nomination was brewing when:

2) Hurrican Katrina destroyed New Orleans. This catastrophe required the attentiion to the near exclusion of all else, of the New Orleans and Louisiana officials as well as Washington D.C. Stories, rumors, and finger pointing abound, and as the evacuation continued, the flood waters remained, chemical plants exploded we open our morning papers to discover that:

3) The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, William Renquist, 80, passed away last night creating another Supreme Court vacancy to be filled by President Bush.

I've been a bit of a political junkie all my life. When asked once, several years ago, what we talked about at dinner time (Yes I am old enough to be part of the last generation where families had dinner together), and the first word that came to mind was "politics." The second was baseball. I do not recall any President in my lifetime having to fill two Court vacancies simultaneously, let alone having to do it in the midst of a national disaster not to mention a war.

I think that we're going to have to look a bit beyond Katrina and New Orleans (although do not exclude them) for this and start playing with whatever the US chart is supposed to be. For my part I'm going to look at the grand conjunction of 1762 in lieu of a July 4, 1776, chart. Lots of others will do that and there is liittle sense in duplicating effort (assuming anyone wants to make this effort in the first place).

USA Grand Conjunction
March 18, 1765
Washington DC
4:41 PM GMT
ASC 8 Cancer 50

NOTE: The time is GMT not LMT or Eastern which did not exist in 1762. Yes, neither did Washington DC exist in 1762, so if you are a follower of Robert Zoller's* and want to use the New York City coordinates as the US capital, feel free. New York City is about 250 miles from Washington and the resulting chart won't be significantly different than a DC chart.

Katrina Landfall
Aug 29, 2005
6:10 am CDT
New Orleans, LA
ASC 29 Leo 50

note Algol on the MC and Regulus on the ASC. The Moon in this chart is conjunct the ASC of the Grand Conjunction chart.

Also regardless of what chart(s) we use we might want to consider the last Grand Conjunction and set it for Washington (or New York if you prefer)

May 28, 2000
3:59 PM GMT
Washington DC

Note the angles, by sign, and the ASC DSC Axis almost by degree, are the same as the Katrina Landfall chart. Note too that the conjunction itself, falls within about 4 degrees of Algol. That's wide for a fixed star, but given the circumstances, maybe we can use these stars at a wide orb for mundane astrology. I'm not making a case, just asking a question.

I've had a hard time with this because in the back of my mind I think running to a chart every time there is a catastrophe is a bit ghoulish. There are real live human beings suffering unimaginably. Part of me thinks this is like having fun at their expense. But I'll do what I can do for them, and doing something I love may help me deal with this horror that occupies (understandably so) almost all of our national consciousness.

Finally, this list is more than a cut above so many others. Almost all of the others that I (used to) frequent have descended into partisan finger pointing, and frankly, hate speech. We are better than that. I know we won't lose sight of the fact that this is an astrology list. Political beliefs can be best vented on a political list. Want to do something other than poke holes in the air with your finger? Give. Thanks.

Tom

*Robert Zoller prefers to use New York City as the de facto capital of the United States as it is the financial center of the US and perhaps the world. Like it or not money makes the world go round. I think this is a perfectly valid position, but as I noted the resulting difference is negligible. Perhas if I ever get close to the abilities of Robert Zoller, I'll change my mind and use NYC, too.

Let's do some preliminaries. I?m going to use the following chart as the base; think natal:

USA Grand Conjunction
March 18, 1762 NS
4:41 PM GMT
Washington, DC
8 Cancer 50 rises

I?m using this chart instead of one of the July 4, 1776 charts. This is the chart of the Grand conjunction that took place prior to American Independence.

I want to pursue this by working from the base chart to the most recent grand conjunction, and finally to the transit chart for Katrina?s landfall. There are other charts we can use including one or more of the July 4, 1776 charts, but for simplicity?s sake, I?ll stick with this these.

The most recent grand conjunction took place on:

May 28, 2000
3:59 pm GMT
Washington, DC
ASC 27 Leo 15

I?ll begin with just these two, but I will set the May 28, 2000 chart for New Orleans as well.

The 2001 conjunction itself is conjunct the MC at 22 Taurus 23. This is a bit closer to Algol than we?d like. Venus, the dispositor of the conjunction and lady of the MC is in Gemini, peregrine, and combust. Regulus rises.

The antiscion of the ASC ? DSC axis falls on the 1762 Mars in Scorpio. Mars is on the antiscion of the 7th (enemies) and contra-antiscion of the ASC. This seems more like an indication of war than of a natural disaster, but Mars is in a water sign. I?m open to argument, but we?d have to see Mars as active (somehow) in a chart that involves Katrina to persuade me.

Mars in the 2000 chart is conjunct the Moon in the 1762 Chart. The 1762 Conjunction itself is conjunct the 2000 Mars by antiscion as well. All of these are indicators of War, but they are not overt. After the three week long invasion the Iraq war became one that is more easily associated with antiscion, i.e., terrorism as opposed to mass confrontation like WWII.

The 2000 Conjunction chart does not, to me, show massive changes in the US. There is little direct planetary confrontation. The angles don?t indicate massive disruption. The only planetary contact of note is the 2000 Moon is conjunct the 1762 Mercury. My first impression, and that is what all of this is, indicates that despite inevitable internal conflict and difficulties, that no major changes in government (other than scheduled elections, etc) or in policy are about to take place.

However if we move the 2000 conjunction chart to New Orleans, we see how the effects of that and the 1762 conjunction affect that city, as opposed to the nation as a whole. The nodal axis of the 1762 chart squares the ASC DSC axis on the 2000 New Orleans chart. Those same nodes hit the 2000 Mars. Mars in this case would not indicate war, as New Orleans does not have the authority to go to war by itself. Mars rules the IC in the 2000 New Orleans chart, lands, property, etc. Mars also rules the 9th house. By law New Orleans, or even the state of Louisiana cannot deal directly (enter into treaties etc. They can conduct commerce) with foreign powers. So we can eliminate that, but I wonder if Mars in this case indicates martial law. To my knowledge martial law has not been officially declared but something of a de facto martial law may be in place or at least predicted by this chart. Note Mars disposits the Moon in the 2000 chart, and the Moon signifies the people.

The Katrina landfall chart can now be compared to both the 2000 New Orleans chart, and the 1762 chart. The chart will be for the hurricane itself as well as representing triggers of the 1762 and/or the 2000 Orleans chart.

Katrina Landfall
Aug 29, 2005
6:10 am CDT
New Orleans LA USA
ASC 29 Leo 50

The ASC DSC axis is conjunct the Washington ASC-DSC axis in the 2000 chart and the MC-IC axis of the 2000 chart is in the same signs about 6 degrees apart. This ties in Katrina, New Orleans, and Washington in a significant way.

Regulus rises, and Algol is on the MC (piled up corpses). The Moon is conjunct the 1762 ASC. Venus ruler of the MC in the landfall and 2000 charts is conjunct the malefic south node in the Katrina, and conjunct Jupiter, lord 8 of the landfall chart. Venus, exaltation ruler of the MC, in the 1762 chart is conjunct the landfall 8th house cusp (5 minute orb). Venus is in her exaltation in Pisces in the 1762 chart, and exaltation is often associated with excess.

From this preliminary observation, we see the connection between the 1762 chart, the 2000 grand conjunction charts, and the Katrina landfall chart. Using any of these charts with, say, a New Orleans chart or a Louisiana chart should also bring results.

Tom

Tom wrote:From this preliminary observation, we see the connection between the 1762 chart, the 2000 grand conjunction charts, and the Katrina landfall chart. Using any of these charts with, say, a New Orleans chart or a Louisiana chart should also bring results.

Tom
Thank you, Tom, for this analysis. It's interesting how these charts all work together so well. Now if we can find a New Orleans chart that everyone can agree on. I wonder why there are so many differing dates. I wonder if this is a common problem in mundane astrology and what everyone does. I've seen 2 other astrology sites use the date given for New Orleans in the book I referenced. I would think the official Web site of New Orleans would have the most accurate date.

Michele

Now if we can find a New Orleans chart that everyone can agree on.
I've seen Nicholas Campion quoted as saying. "The best chart we have will work." I tend to agree with that, although I have no idea where Campion said that. Therefore, I would think any of the New Orleans charts would be relevant provided there is some sort of legitimacy for them.

This is the one I found:

New Orleans - first incorporation
February 17, 1805
Lat 29n57 / Long 90w04
Set it for Noon LMT

The Sun is on the DSC of the landfall chart, and is conjunct the 1762 chart Mars by antiscion. Venus, so important in the conjunction charts is conjunct the landfall IC by antiscion, as is Mercury.

Notice the Moon in the New Orleans incorporation chart, and Jupiter in the landfall chart are in partile conjunction to George Bush's Moon and Jupiter each within 7 minutes of arc. This is not the Jupiter return the President would have liked.

[Interesting note: the President seemingly (we don't know for sure) skimmed past his Saturn return, but now has rather large issues facing him on his Jupiter return. Go figure]

The nodal axis in the New Orleans incorporation chart are exactly reversed in the 2000 grand conjunction chart, an indication of significance.

The Incorporation chart MC IC axis is square the landfall MC IC axis, and as noted above, the Incorporation chart Sun is posited on the landfall DSC.

This is still preliminary work, but it is easy to see how complex mundane astrology is, and trust me, I am no expert in this field. I am a big believer in the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid). One chart comes out of the other. or if we think of each chart as a gear, when one set of gears (chart) meshes with another (chart) we get some activity of significance. In natal astrology our base chart is, of course the nativity. We check progressions to find a significant occurance, if we find one, we check the solar return, once we find the significance in that chart, then we go to the lunar returns for the year and finally transits for triggers. Life doesn't just happen; it unfolds. This is not the only way to do things, but it is orderly and logical.

We can do the same for mundane. Start with the base chart; I chose the 1762 chart, but others can be used. From there I stick with the subsequent grand conjunctions and how they relate to the 1762 chart, then we get more specific by area and finally transits. Obviously mundane is far more complex as there are many issues facing a major power at one time. I didn't get to the Supreme Court issue at all, and only barely mentioned the Iraq war, all of which face the US simultaneously.

We need to simplify in order to understand. The best teachers make the complex understandable, and they use the best techniques to do that. We need to do that with our astrology as it is so easy to get overwhelmed; at least I find it easy to get overwhelmed.

There is a very old movie called The Prize I think Paul Newman stars in it, and it involves the Nobel Prize. At a critical point in the movie Edward G. Robinson has a heart attack and two famous physicians (prize winners) try to figure out, quickly, the best way to save his life. One doctor thinks out loud "Simplify, simplify" Good advice. [Oh he saved Edward G. Robinson and Paul Newman got the girl]

Tom

Tom wrote:
Now if we can find a New Orleans chart that everyone can agree on.
I've seen Nicholas Campion quoted as saying. "The best chart we have will work." I tend to agree with that, although I have no idea where Campion said that. Therefore, I would think any of the New Orleans charts would be relevant provided there is some sort of legitimacy for them.

This is the one I found:

New Orleans - first incorporation
February 17, 1805
Lat 29n57 / Long 90w04
Set it for Noon LMT

Thanks again, Tom, for your most astute analysis. Feb 17, 1805, noon, is the date I've been using as well.

Michele

There is a very old movie called The Prize I think Paul Newman stars in it, and it involves the Nobel Prize. At a critical point in the movie Edward G. Robinson has a heart attack and two famous physicians (prize winners) try to figure out, quickly, the best way to save his life. One doctor thinks out loud "Simplify, simplify" Good advice. [Oh he saved Edward G. Robinson and Paul Newman got the girl]
After I wrote this, that night, as my head hit the pillow, I realized the above is incorrect. Oh Edward G. Robinson was saved, and Paul Newman got the girl, but what the doctor said, out loud, under stress, trying to think of a way to save Edward G, was "Improvise, improvise." I think he said it in Italiian, too. He improvised and the day was saved, the Prize collected, the girl ended up in Paul Newman's arms, as the astrologer's memory faded into obilivion.

Sorry about that.

Tom