Leo? Borrowed from the local library once, read some parts of it, brought it back, never returned to it. I don't know, what will help you tick astrologically, really depends on you. So I'll say, his book would never make me even interested in astrology, let alone this ticking thing. However, this is just a personal experience&opinion. I'd always advise going to the library and reading something of it, you might have a different view.

About learning ? having read Arroyo, Greene, Haydn, Hamaker Zondag, Tyl etc, I can say that the best book on aspects I came across and always return to it, was written by Sue Tompkins and named ?Aspects in Astrology?.
Cookbook like any other book on astrological parts and the author emphasizes that herself, (Its central part being named A Planetary Cookbook) but a very good one. The nature of different aspects explained, followed by the analysis of planetary pairs forming them, with lots of interesting but strikingly accurate details and the last part contains planetary aspects to the angles. I'm impressed by the combination of practical usability and in-debth analysis. Highly recommended.