Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Traditional reference for glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Traditional reference for glass Reply with quote

Someone recently asked me which planet signifies glass. I was about to reply Ďthe Mooní but thought Iíd better give a ref from Lilly. When I looked in my index I didnít see the Moon listed for glass, only Mars (p.216). I can see the connection with Mars (it being about heat and the smelting of glass and the cuts you get from it), but surely glass is widely understood to fall under the rulership of the Moon? Iím not sure if this is just a very obvious omission from my index or whether Iíve been mistaken in assuming that most astrologers would assign glass to the Moon whereas traditional literature supports a stronger connection with Mars. Can anyone help me out with a reference or views on this?
Tom

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb,

I'm very proud of myself. I started thinking about glass and its transparency came to mind. It lets light in and out from both sides, so Mercury. I looked at Lee Lehman's book of Rulerships and she gives Lilly only, but in a supplement to her book that can be downloaded from her website, she gives Mercury and cites Agrippa, Occult Philosophy Book 3, page 60.

I confess to giving Saturn a thought (hard and brittle), but Saturn is dark and avoids light and light is what glass is all about.

Hope this helps.

Tom
graelhaven

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: moon glass connection Reply with quote

I would have thought so as well, but because of its traditional connection to reflecting pools, etc... glass and reflection equal moon to me.

Beth
Hekate

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But glass is technical, it is made by men usually. Hermes is considered the god who assists with arts (in the techniqal way, what you make with the hands), so I will agree with Tom here, that glass seems to fit more with Mercury.

Mirrors on the other hand, are reflective so they should be under Moon.
Lars

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rex Bills "The Rulership Book", Moon, Neptune and the sign of Cancer rules glass. But he also mentions Mercury and Leo in a parenthsis.
Personally I tend to see Moon as the ruler. Interestingly, the book has Moon, Mercury and Neptune connected to eyeglasses.
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Moon=glass reference in Vettius Valens' Anthology, Book 1; Part 1:

"It [the Moon] has authority over the essence of silver and glass"

Hurrah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: