Hi Peter, thanks for your your post-before-last. I'm not convinced that we disagree much, in fact. When I question the possibility of understanding and validating astrology through scientific means, what I doubt is whether this approach is capable of providing a complete explanation of astrology in all its forms. But this doesn't mean that I think it's pointless to pursue research into astrology; I don't. To borrow an analogy from Bernadette Brady, I think astrology is like the sphere that passes through Flatland* - the frame of reference in which it would all make sense is beyond us, so that we do well to open up ways of thinking about it, rather than closing them down.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the research that you talk about!

Garry

*Flatland - the ref is to the novella by Edwin A Abbott

Thanks Garry. I guess what we together are saying then is that both the empiricist and divinatory approaches to astrology are valid, and the only substantial difference in our positions may be the emphasis on either. Is this a fair summary?

In terms of my research, I have only completed the first step in my program, perhaps comprising 10 arcminutes in the full circle of the endeavour, which in turn is a very small portion of astrology as a whole. Nevertheless, I am confident that the approach I have defined will enable the testing of most astrological techniques objectively in the near future. The summary and abstract are written at this point, and I'm presently working on the rest of the article. This is "only" a matter of time as the actual research is complete. As things stand, I need a full-time job to support my family, so this work is relegated to my spare time.

The situation would be completely different if we had astrological faculties all over the world, supporting research much as in so many fields of science today (and some of it quite frivolous). I am convinced that this state of affairs is coming soon, but we must pave the way for it and make up for the opportunities lost during the past three and a half or so centuries. The traditional revival is one great thrust in this revolution, but this must be coupled with objective validation so we can sift through the rubble and find the real gems of astrology.

Very exciting times lie ahead of us in fact, much like the recent "discovery" of the world, the enlightenment and scientific revolution, but this time in a spiritually elevated way. This will be a much-needed counterpoint to the materialist movement of the past, which hit rock bottom in the 20th century.
Peter