Placidus versus Equal

I learned astrology with the Equal house system and have always used it. Having done some research it would seem that the Placidus system is more widely used outside of the UK. I've recently done a chart for someone using one with Equal then cast another with Placidus and there were some slight differences in planetary placings. I'd be interested in any views.
Cathy

G'day Cathy7
I went to an astrologer who compared Placidus and Equal on my natal chart. We decided that Placidus worked better for me and the IC / MC axis helped her work it out as with Placidus house system Aries is on the IC and with Equal it was a taurus IC.
She asked me which one fits the best on the IC as it turned out to be Aries she continued with the placidus house sytem.

I vaguely remember hearing something about " time-based " cultures use Placidus and " star-based " eg tribal cultures better suited to the equal house system.
Remember that everything we have somebody before us shed blood,sweat and tears so we could have a better life !

I vaguely remember hearing something about " time-based " cultures use Placidus and " star-based " eg tribal cultures better suited to the equal house system.
Maybe the quote is out of context, but it seens very strange to me: it has a so great cultural conclusion, but doesn?t seen to be aware of the historical process that was the concept of houses.

Other great prejudice is the apparent assumption that placidus and equal house systems are the only systems, and that they have some kind of oppositional dichotomy, when in reality we have a lot of other systems, and by the way, the "equal house" although some remarks of defensors, never had much use in the history of astrology: in general the most used systems were the whole house systems (greeks, vedic) and whole houses with alchabitius (arabic era, medieval), besides others systems like Porphyrius, Campanus, Koch, etc.

So, I would say that the question need a little more work in it... why to stop in those two systems, if there is so many others to choose from ?
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

Here's something to think about; All house systems are equal house systems.

The Equal House System is based on an equal division of the beginning at the ASC. The Porphyry system is equal division along the ecliptic. The Campanus system divides the Prime Vertical into 12 equal parts. Regiomontanus is equal division along the equator.

The time based systems divide the chart into sections based on time. Alchabitius house cups are determined by determining the tie it takes the ASC degree to reach the MC and the difference between that and the sidereal time at birth is divided into three equal parts. A similar procedure is used using the 4th cusp. Finally Placidus cusps are determined in a manner similar to Alchabitius.

Ultimately they are all equal divisions. They just use different reference points of either space or time.

Tom

Tom wrote:Here's something to think about; All house systems are equal house systems.

The Equal House System is based on an equal division of the beginning at the ASC. The Porphyry system is equal division along the ecliptic. The Campanus system divides the Prime Vertical into 12 equal parts. Regiomontanus is equal division along the equator.

The time based systems divide the chart into sections based on time. Alchabitius house cups are determined by determining the tie it takes the ASC degree to reach the MC and the difference between that and the sidereal time at birth is divided into three equal parts. A similar procedure is used using the 4th cusp. Finally Placidus cusps are determined in a manner similar to Alchabitius.

Ultimately they are all equal divisions. They just use different reference points of either space or time.

Tom
This is an excellent series of points Tom that I fully agree with you on. One of the great uses of different house systems is that they offer astrologers the opportuninties to apply various reference points of time and space in our work.
Theo

Tom wrote:Ultimately they are all equal divisions. They just use different reference points of either space or time.

Tom
:D cool :'

Do you know which system had used by Ptolomey, Valens,.. Al-Biruni..

What I've read is that Ptolemy was not an astrologer so, if true, he did not use any house system. Hand and Schmidt argue that he outlined the whole sign system in Tetrabiblos. Valens used whole signs and Porphry to determine planetary strength. I have no idea what Al Biruni used. I cannot find any indication in his work.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I just came across this post whilst running a search for another.

There?s no evidence that Ptolemy used a whole sign system and I am pretty sure that even Rob Hand would admit to that.

But the comment I am really interested in, is:
What I've read is that Ptolemy was not an astrologer
I?d love to know where you read that, and upon what evidence we should dismiss the author of the most influential, and one of the most detailed, classical texts of astrology as ?not an astrologer?.

(It?s bad enough having to convince the world of academic sceptics that astrologers exist amongst the scientific "greats" of history. Surely we don't doubt that amongst ourselves ?)

I?d love to know where you read that, and upon what evidence we should dismiss the author of the most influential, and one of the most detailed, classical texts of astrology as ?not an astrologer?.
I've heard it said and read it in many places by many people, particularly from Hand and Schmidt. He was an encyclopediest they tell us. It then gets repeated over and over again and, like Goebbels told us, sooner or later it becomes the truth.

Actually, I'm on your side on this one. I've never believed Ptolemy was not an astrologer. I've read astrology by non astrologers and it shows almost instantly. Ptolemy is not like this. Like you wrote elsewhere, it is fair to criticize what Ptolemy wrote. but it doesn't make much sense to conclude that the most influential writer on astrology ever did not have a full grasp of the subject. I suppose it is possible that he was was not a terribly competent astrologer, but I've never thought he was a dilettante.

Tom

Re: Placidus versus Equal

cathy7 wrote:I learned astrology with the Equal house system and have always used it. Having done some research it would seem that the Placidus system is more widely used outside of the UK. I've recently done a chart for someone using one with Equal then cast another with Placidus and there were some slight differences in planetary placings. I'd be interested in any views.
Cathy

Kathy,

You can choose to use any of the House systems. The one I would take note of is the one that seems appropriate for the manner in which you or your client/s have lived their life/s and the experiences they have live through. I do gravitate towards Alcabitus but I have lived my life out so far by Placidus system. Note any interceptions and planetary Ruler placements. :? This will help to sort out which system is best for the individual. :sg :o

Julie K
Last edited by Julie K on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.