Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

What is the ruler of astrology?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: What is the ruler of astrology? Reply with quote

According to traditional astrology it's Mercurius.
Modern astrology says it's Uranus. And Dante
Aligieri says it's Saturn. How can we symbolically
determine the planet that fits best.?

Astrology is limiting, exacting in the creation and
interpretation of the natal chart. So I think that
Dante might have a point, Saturn is the ruler
of astrology. Mercury has to do with Sun Sign
newpaper astrology. And Uranus with New Age
astrology. How's that?
amelia

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, not bad.. how about...

Saturn is the existence and application of a clear set of astrological rules, mercury the detailed approach to analysing charts and uranus the way it is currently viewed by society in general.
SGFoxe

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter --

I recently discovered that it was Hamurabi as priest of Marduk/Jupiter who turned Babylon from a city to an Empire and with it Marduk as a local urban clan deity to supremacy as Ruler of the Gods ... which also established the planet Jupiter as Marduk's celestial presence & Hamurabi as his earthly agent --

5th tablet of Epic of Creation

With this Katarche (1800 BCE) began divinatory astrology ...

I've also been toying that the reason for Zeus/Jupiter's supremacy in the Greco-Roman pantheon is some sort of Babylonian influence ... even given Hesiod, who is a millenium later than Hamurabi

Other cultures -- eg Scandanavian -- do not have Jupiter as the Supreme Deity ... Loki/Thor does not outrank Odin (Mercury) ... Virachocha/Quetzcoatl of MesoAmerica too is Mercury -- Thoth/Mercury in Egypt too

For that reason, I see Jupiter as the ruler of astrology, given its place in the invention/creation katarche of the craft or art in western terms
Mike

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter would be great as ruler of astrology. However
a better argument may be needed to support that.
woodwater

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in vedic astrology jupiter-house 9 rule astrology
Tom

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can we symbolically determine the planet that fits best.?

I like John Frawley's reason for preferring Mercury to Uranus: "We are thinkers not eccentrics."

Tom
James Frazier

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Mercurius Reply with quote

While I am in complete agreement that Mercurius is as good a candidate as any for ruler of astrology, and with all due respect to Frawley, I not so sure that the statement, "We are thinkers not eccentrics." is entirely defendable when referring to astrologers. Maybe I should just speak for myself...I am much more eccentric than a thinker...just use this post as evidence.

In response to " Mercury has to do with Sun Sign
newpaper astrology" one wonders what the ancients did with Mercury since, to my knowledge, newspaper astrology was not invented till about 1936.

Last edited by James Frazier on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
woodwater

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like astrology cause it is old and misterious(saturn-aquarius??)
aquirata

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one reads ancient texts, one will find a lot of evidence in support of Mercury ruling astrology. Uranus does have a strong affinity with it as well. There is a difference between the seven ancient planets and the rest of the bodies, however. Only ancient planets can 'rule' anything, by definition. If you want to involve the rest of the planets, you will need to define what you mean by 'rule'.
James Frazier

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you say more about what you see as the affinity between Uranus and astrology? I am not wishing to challenge you, simply to hear more from you about what leads you to see affinity between them?

Last edited by James Frazier on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
aquirata

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

This is more a personal feeling than anything else. Probably a combination of accumulated understanding and personal experience. In mythology, Uranus is the God of the Sky. Philip Graves puts astrologers with Uranus in http://www.skyscript.co.uk/uranus3.html. Kim Farnell quotes Robert Cross, the last Raphael, as such: "Astrologers, as a rule, have Herschel prominent in their nativities" (1879) http://www.skyscript.co.uk/ur_aq.html
James Frazier

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquirata wrote:
James,

Philip Graves puts astrologers with Uranus in http://www.skyscript.co.uk/uranus3.html. Kim Farnell quotes Robert Cross, the last Raphael, as such: "Astrologers, as a rule, have Herschel prominent in their nativities" (1879) http://www.skyscript.co.uk/ur_aq.html

Thanks for the reference to these articles and discussion lines. Unfortunately, I can't make the link to Phillip's work. crying Kim's article and discussion thread were most enlightening. Thumbs up I appreciate the referrences.
aquirata

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, James.

I will post the link to Philip's article without the ending period, I think that's what messed it up:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/uranus3.html

In addition, I have also checked Rex Bills' Rulership Book. He lists astrology and astrologers under Uranus and Aquarius.
James Frazier

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will check it out. My main interest in all this is to better understand why Mercurius was abandoned as the ruler of astrology when the Hermetic Art was so bound up with the symbolism of Hermes/ Mercurius. All of these discussions are most helpful in helping me move toward that goal.
aquirata

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I think this is a general trend in astrology. The old tradition is gradually forgotten and replaced by new ideas. Traditional astrologers, however, would never say that Uranus rules astrology. So I don't think one could say that Mercury has been abandoned as ruler of astrology. Rather, newer and newer generations grow up and they embrace newer ideas. This is primarily because nobody (or not too many) can now remember the original reasons for going with Mercury in the first place.

Remember how at the discovery of Ceres everyone thought that it was a planet. It took a few decades to realize that it was not. The same thing happened to Pluto. Astrologers of course jumped on the bandwagon twice, and now they will find again that Pluto is not that big a deal.

In my view, Mercury certainly rules astrology but one can look to Uranus for additional information. In my chart, for example, Mercury is the strongest planet, showing that astrology will play a significant role in my life. In the 11th house it is probably linked to my wishes and hopes. Uranus in the 10th house at the same time may indicate that it is my calling, or that certain success will result from studying astrology. There are many other possible meanings, of course, but I just wanted to highlight how an original indication can be expanded by getting Uranus involved.

The bottom line is that Mercury is one of the seven ancient planets, and one cannot divide the world into seven areas using nine or more planets. There is a qualitative difference here which most modern astrologers don't take into account. The hierarchy in my view is as follows (and I have ignored the fixed stars):

Sun, Moon
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn
Uranus, Neptune
Ceres, Pluto, Eris
The rest of the solar system

Will you be writing an article on this topic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Philosophy & Science All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: