Gjiada wrote:
I have this list:

Saturn:greed; Jupiter:gluttony; Mars:wrath; Sun: pride; Venus:lust; Mercury:envy; Moon:sloth.
Hi Margherita,

Your list seems to fit very neatly with the seven corruptions mentioned in the Hermetic texts (listed earlier in this thread). Can I ask if you have a traditional source for this, or is it something that you put together yourself? I am talking about the first list in your post, not the one from Dante's work

Deb

Deb wrote: Can I ask if you have a traditional source for this, or is it something that you put together yourself?
I did not put together myself the list, but I can't remember where I took it.

I searched a little in my books and I found a late extract from "Coeliloquium morale" written by Albertus de Cottignola in 1529.

The complete title is:
Coeliloquium morale p. fratris Alberti de Marchesiis de Cottignola Ordinis minorum de obseruantia artium ac sacrae theologiae lectoris peritiss. Approbatum Clementis VII. Decreto ne quis hunc librum infra septennium imprimat aut alibi impressum uendat: sub poenis in eo contentis.
Pubblicazione: (Impressum Bononie : in aedibus Ioannis Baptiste de Phaellis, die 20 Maij 1529

It gives almost the same list, just Saturn and Mercury are switched because according Alberto: "Mercury, silver in colour and always following the Sun, always signifies Avarice because it is always in search for money and always follows arrogance." (Sun)

And about Saturn: "In Saturn, a star with a plumbeous, livid colour, always understand envy, which is a lividness nourished with others' good fortune, which makes the soul plumbeous and heavy."

Anyway, I prefer the first one, it makes more sense to me.

Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Anyway, I prefer the first one, it makes more sense to me.
Yes, to me too - but thank you for the Albertus reference too. If you do come across the first reference again, you could perhaps add the details later - I'd love to know the source of that list.

Best wishes
Deb

Gem wrote:
Mercury associated with gluttony??
It does seem like an odd association but I know three pathological overeaters, and two of them are Gemini Suns and the third has Gemini rising. So maybe it's not as odd as it seems.

Tara

Tara
I know a couple of overweight Libras but this kind of random examples is meaningless. Associating the sign Gemini with gluttony based on just three examples is too simplistic.

I agree with others that if Mercury is to be associated with gluttony, it must be mental ones rather than physical ones. I'm not convinced by some of Nicholas de Vore's other associations either.

Dorian Greenbaum has just sent me an interesting reference on this subject, which she came across in a section in Alan Scott's Origen and the Life of the Stars which describes Servius, Commentary on the Aeneid of Vergil, 6.714 (2.98.21-24 Thilo):

'when souls descend, they draw with them the sloth of Saturn, the wrath of Mars, the lust of Venus, the yearning for money of Mercury, and the desire to rule of Jupiter. These things cause disturbance to the souls so that they are unable to exercise their power and properties.'

'when souls descend, they draw with them the sloth of Saturn, the wrath of Mars, the lust of Venus, the yearning for money of Mercury, and the desire to rule of Jupiter. These things cause disturbance to the souls so that they are unable to exercise their power and properties.'
I wonder why the Moon is missing here?

Thanks for the note on Alan Scott's book: ''Origen and the Life of the Stars''. Its a bit expensive to buy but I see its stored in the National Library here. It looks worth reading.

At the risk of posting to a topic that?s gone a little ?cold? I thought that you might find the following article of some considerable interest:

http://www.studiesincomparativereligion ... spx?ID=159

It?s not too long (about 5 pages) and it treats its subject with a depth of understanding and insight that is rare in matters where religion and astrology overlap.

Broadly speaking, the article takes the "Deadly Sins" as point of departure for a brief but profound study of the nature and structure of the human soul - it?s relation to the divine Spirit, the ?Fall? which opens the doorway to ?sin? (described as a turning inside-out or an upside-down of the psychic faculties), and even touching upon the mystical means of return to the soul?s primordial, ?Edenic? harmony.

The planetary correspondences to the Deadly Sins themselves are only given in a footnote and yet enough is said about the ?virtuous? origin of the sins, i.e. the spiritual faculties of the soul, to offer the astrologer a glimpse of planetary meaning that actually lifts them above the realm of horoscopic interpretations.

Obviously the article is not about astrology as such, but I think it bears mention here for the way in which the writer passes so effortlessly between different symbolisms, astrological, numerological, and religious, giving expression to a universality of perspective that has the power to resolve many unnecessary controversies.

See what you think.

Robert.

Thanks Robert for the link to the article which was excellent.Have you seen the "Logos and Light" Lecture series by Ben Dykes mentioned in the News Forum here? I am sure that you will find it of interest.

Best wishes

Matt

Thanks for the reference Matt, I received a 'marketing' e-mail about Ben Dykes' "Logos and Light" series a short while ago and gave it a quick look on his web site. It does indeed look interesting, but I'm concentrating on improving my knowledge of horary at the moment and so I decided to put it on hold for the time being.
Cheers,
Robert.