Seven Deadly Sins

Hi Deb,
I must have caught you right next to the computer.
Thanks much for your kind words. I hadn't figured out the pattern before of Dante's sequence and the planets and it does fit into place.
I will backmail you a draft of this section -- only a draft.
Manuscript feels about half done.
Writing this sometimes feels like being in a dark wood, sometimes encased in ice and when it's getting better it's like trying to move in purgatory after the sun has gone down. However I love the way it finally comes out at least so far.
Joseph

I thought you said you were going to ?blackmail? me and I wondered what I?d done :)
That sounds good. I don?t know as much about Dante as I think I should - I?m waiting for you to educate me.

I found some notes from Paradiso:

From the first sky to the seventh we have:

Moon: changeable spirits

Mercury: active spirits (they operated the good for fame)

Venus: lover spirits

Sun: wise spirits

Mars: combative spirits

Jupiter: judging spirits

Saturn: contemplative spirits,

Primum mobile: angels chorus

Empyrean: the Pure Rose of blessed.

On the other hand in Inferno, there are planets skies, but 9 circles of a pit- at the beginning the roots of all the sins, lust, arrogance and avarice.

The more you go down, the more sins are awful and God is far-

1st circle: not baptised souls

2nd : lustful souls

3rd: gluttonous souls

4th: greedy and spendthrift souls;

5th: short-tempered souls;

6th: heretic souls :)

7th: violent souls ( against others, themselves, God and nature)

8th: fraudulent souls ( seducers, simoniacal, magicians and fortune tellers- here there is Guido Bonatti- thieves, liars;

9th: betrayers of homeland, friendship, hospitality.

Hope it helps,
margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Well, to be honest I don't believe that sins follow planetary order in Inferno and Purgatorio.

The only place where planets are mentioned is in Paradiso, because we are talking of the eight Aristotle skies.

In Purgatorio and Inferno sins are disposed just according their severity.

Too much love for example is at the beginning of the Inferno (the famous Paolo and Francesca, who had no other guilty let alone to be in love) and at the top of Purgatorio.
Why Venus should be at beginning of the list? And Mercury?

On the other still now, I could not find anything more awful that "betrayers of friendship and hospitality".

This comes directly from ancient Greek/Latin education. Here Dante is not mentioning planets, he is mentioning Mediterranean tradition.

Margherita
Traditional astrology at

Gijada - was there an outer circle of purgatory for Virgil (of course!) and the other virtuous pagans, or did they go in the first circle? I thought they had 'special hell privileges' but it's been a few years since I've read the Commedia. When I think of the early circle, all that comes to mind is Francesca and Paolo, but I know Virgil guided Dant? though hell, so....

There's also a frozen lake, Cocytus, if memory serves, at the very centre of the ninth circle for the worst betrayer of all - which was Judas Iscariot in Dant?''s view, but I think there were some others really close to that if not in it - betrayers of benefactors especially.

Hello Olivia,
Olivia wrote:Gijada - was there an outer circle of purgatory for Virgil (of course!) and the other virtuous pagans, or did they go in the first circle? I thought they had 'special hell privileges' but it's been a few years since I've read the Commedia.
I'm not really an expert, just we read Divina Commedia in our schools.

I believe Virgilio lives in Limbo- in the first circle of Inferno, together with Ptolemy.
When I think of the early circle, all that comes to mind is Francesca and Paolo, but I know Virgil guided Dant? though hell, so....
One of the most famous and beautiful parts of Inferno,
There's also a frozen lake, Cocytus, if memory serves, at the very centre of the ninth circle for the worst betrayer of all - which was Judas Iscariot in Dant?''s view, but I think there were some others really close to that if not in it - betrayers of benefactors especially.
At the bottom of Inferno, with Lucifer are Judas- betrayer of Christ and Brutus and Cassius, betrayers of Julius Caesar.

I believe because in a Mediterranean education there is nothing more sacred than hospitality and friendship, we took it from Greek culture.

Dante cannot think something worse,
margherita
Traditional astrology at

8th: fraudulent souls ( seducers, simoniacal, magicians and fortune tellers- here there is Guido Bonatti- thieves, liars;
Dante tells us Bonatti has his head turned about, so that he has to walk forever backwards.....

Thats where too much astrological prediction concerning the future leads you. You have been warned! :shock:

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Re: Seven Deadly Sins

Laleh Bakhtiar
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Bakhtiar,_Laleh
Iranian-American Islamic and Sufi scholar, author, translator, and psychologist noted as the first American woman to translate the Quran into English. She produced a gender-neutral translation, The Sublime Quran, and challenged the status quo on the Arabic word daraba, traditionally translated as "beat" — a word that she said has been used as justification of abuse of Muslim women.

Bakhtiar married her Iranian husband, architect Nader Ardalan, in 1960, while she was a nondenominational Christian; she eventually converted to Islam in 1964. She eventually divorced Ardalan in 1976 and returned to the U.S. in 1988, where she received her Ph.D. from the University of New Mexico in educational psychology. She moved to Chicago in 1992, and was a Nationally Certified Counselor. She died on 18 October 2020 at age 82 in Chicago from myelodysplastic syndrome. Her older brother was Jamshid Bakhtiar (1934-2022), better known as Jim, a psychiatrist.

https://www.academia.edu/5025413/Introd ... l_Unveiled

Oscar Ichazo
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Ichazo,_Oscar
Bolivian-born spiritual teacher, the founder of the Arica School in Chile and without doubt one of the great cornerstone founders of the spiritual enneagram.

Among his major students belong the film-maker Alejandro Jodorowsky (17 February 1929, Tocopilla, Chile), the human consciousness investigator John C. Lilly and the psychiatrist Claudio Naranjo. Lily and Jodorowsky visited him in Chile and experimented on his advise with LSD.

His student Claudio Naranjo became the founder of the psychological Enneagram. He was the teacher of contemporary enneagram guru's like Helen Palmer, A.H. Almaas and Sandra Maitri in his named after G. (George Gurdjieff) "Seekers After Truth" (SAT) group in Berkeley, California.

The psychologist, and in her later writings with Virginia Price, an obvious astrologist, Helen Palmer (DOB unknown, she claimed according to her students to be a foundling like Moses) was one of the first person to write illuminating books about the enneagram. From 30 January 1992 till 22 July 1992, a revealing lawsuit was held between Ichazo's Arica Institute and Helen Palmer and her publisher Harper & Row Publishers, about her undisclosed, but meant to be secret illuminations.

Arica v. Palmer, 970 F 2d 106: "The facts of this case are fully reported at 761 F.Supp. 1056 (S.D.N.Y.1991). We briefly summarize those facts most relevant to this appeal. Plaintiff-appellant Arica Institute, Inc. ("Arica") is a not-for-profit educational institution which provides trainings based on the work of the Institute's founder: Oscar Ichazo ("Ichazo"), himself a student of Zen, Sufism, Yoga, Buddism, Confucianism, I Ching, and the Kabbalah."

Most interesting in this seemingly mundane document is that the A(leph) and Omega words referring to astrology, were not mentioned. But it still, reveals a lot.

Astrologie onderzoek (ADB astrology research)
https://vissesh.home.xs4all.nl/mystiek/ ... index.html
GitHub - dildeolupbiten/TkEnneagram: TkEnneagram is a Python program that calculates enneagram scores of persons based on astrological statistics. See the youtube channel of dildeolupbiten.

A fine example would be the enneagram scores of the poet and painter Lucebert. He wrote “Everything of worth is defenseless” in the poem “The very old one sings". Knowledge is fragile and can be easily lost.

Since October 28, 2023 4 PM the freeware astrology software PlanetDance of NVWOA member Jean Cremers contains a module implementing the 2010 algorithm:

+ Added Horoscope - Various - Enneagram, method Sjoerd Visser.

Results of the since 2010 published calculations can be found at Enneagramscores of famous people based on astrological statistics , The enneagram of places and countries part 1 (- 1945) and The enneagram of places and countries part 2 (1946 - today).