Body piercing and tattooing

I'm wondering why we have so much body piercing and tattooing now?
I realize styles & fashions have always changed and will always continue to find new ways of expression.

But this rage with tattooing and piercing seems to be getting rather crazy.
I'm sorry if I'm insulting anyone here. I'm not talking of pierced ears or small tattoos.

If you've ever seen MSNBC's prison documentaries or the shows that film these tattoo conventions, then you know what I'm talking about here. These people have pierced every square inch of their bodies: faces, skulls and all! How are they going to feel about that when they are older and their tattoos are sagging and distorted? They cannot undo that extreme tattooing!

And piercing which was once only something the African nation and other third world cultures did to such extremes, is now all the rage too. And people are even putting bolts in the skull like little horns and such!

I'm just baffled by it. Not judging the people, just wondering about this rage. So the question that came to me over the last couple of days is what planet could be causing all this?? It's not like we just discovered a new one.

I looked in Lehman's rulership book and there was nothing for tattoos or piercing (not surprisingly). Rex Bills put Mars and (Saturn) as rulers of tattoos with Mars alone ruler of piercing. But that still doesn't explain why everyone has gone nuts with all this stuff?

Maybe this is a strange question for an astrology forum but I'm just wondering why this is going on??

RC

You know I was wondering myself what would be an indication of excessive physical alterations in a chart, and by that I mean the things you've said as well as plastic surgery and whatnot, to excess.

And the individual in question is not generally going to think their alterations are too excess, but if you have an individual sitting before you and they have clearly done drastic things to themselves, and you draw up their chart it seems to me, something in the first house should indicate that the individual has taken the extreme steps that you can so obviously see.

One of my daughters friends for instance has a forked tongue. which is something you have to redo quite a bit as it tends to want to mend itself. sigh... I would love to get his birth data. (he is in the body piercing business)

Granny

oieee!

I think my stomach just did a little flip when I read that about the forked tongue. I've heard of that one and saw one on t.v. too. It is just too bizarre for words. I can't understand it. I think if he had been born that way, he'd be having surgery to make it normal. It's like some sort of mass rebellion against their bodies.

The thing is, I'm sure these things would show up in their individual charts like scars, ect. But I am wondering more about the global popularity of such things.

Some years back, Mars was moving closer to the earth than it had been for X years. I forget how long now but it was in all the news with predictions on what that might bring. Could that have brought the start of all this? People were doing it before then but now its like out of control.

I just figured there must be some planetary alignment causing people to want to do these things.

RC

I would think it would show up more in generational planets as it is something that's become popular generationally, and geographically.

some cultures go through this type of thing, some generations do, I would therefor think that you would see it in one of those areas???

Granny

Body Piercings

R.C., Granny,

Is there a message here that those who pierce and tatoo their bodies are trying to show us they are in pain? Whether it be mental anguish or pain of a body or part of they find un-loveable drawing attention to this publically?

I understand ears being pierced for the wearing of expensive and sentimental values of the jewelery plus todays styles.

I note a young and very intellectual guy on TV here has his right eyebrow pierced? Why?

Is it a Chiron thing? :-cry Is it rebellious shock value? :shock:

Julie K

Apollon, The Journal of Psychological Astrology, ran a feature on body piercing in its 2nd issue (April, 1999). It was entitled ?Hole in One? and written by John Green, one of the tutors for the CPA who (at that time) had 17 piercings himself. He talked about the long history of piercings and how they are often a symbol of some sort of rite of passage. He thought that the themes in his chart that related to this instinct were Venus trine Pluto (the demand for extremes in our idea of beauty, the themes of pain and sacrifice, submission and dominations, etc) and Chiron (associated with wounds and allowing a sense of beauty in what others perceive as ugly). Piercings are obviously very symbolic features of the appearance. I will just quote one comment which relates to the author?s own experience:

Interestingly, on the day I got my first piercing, the Prince Albert, transiting Pluto was opposite my Venus, trine my Mars, conjunct my Neptune and trine my Chiron. Transiting Uranus and Neptune were trine my Venus, trine my Pluto and sextile Chiron, while transiting Chiron was conjunct my MC. Make of that what you want, but it felt good enough for me, giving me the feeling of Odin, consecrating and sacrificing myself to myself, in a magikal ritual which gave me a greater self confidence and a feeling of ?knowing? who I truly was. The act of piercing was not itself a cure for depression, but the ritual helped me to prepare myself to overcome it.
BTW, if you don?t know what the Prince Albert is, you probably don?t want to.

Deb wrote:
BTW, if you don?t know what the Prince Albert is, you probably don?t want to.
And naturally I just had to find out! :-sk
Did an internet search and saw some photos of various body part piercings and studs, etc. I guess that term describes a lot of piercing types as I didn't see it confined to one body part.

Their drilling studs in their teeth now too! And the split/forked tongue is just too much for words. I guess if they could wear their eyeballs outside their eye sockets they might be trying that!

All i can think is either a good percentage of the world is crazy from my view of reality or its time for me to find a new planet to live on. :lala

Thanks for reposting that article. I still can't understand it tho.

RC

To save anyone else the shock of the pictures, John Hole explained the Prince Albert in his article ? a ring going through the urethra and coming out through a hole in the underside of the penis. He says that whether Prince Albert actually had one is a matter for conjecture, but this was used as a dressing ring in Victorian times ?to keep the unsightly member in place next to the leg, so as not to cause a bulge in the front of the fashionably tight trousers of the Victorian male?.

So there ? never be surprised at what you learn in astrological journals.
I guess if they could wear their eyeballs outside their eye sockets they might be trying that!
:lol:

Deb wrote:.... but this was used as a dressing ring in Victorian times ?to keep the unsightly member in place next to the leg, so as not to cause a bulge in the front of the fashionably tight trousers of the Victorian male?.
They could have just tied it down without piercing it couldn't they? :???:

I wonder if there is any truth to that. Maybe these piercers are just taking it a step further.

Funny how things change. In later years the guys were stuffing socks in their crotch to make a more pronounced bulge as they said Elvis did. :lol:

Deb wrote:....
So there ? never be surprised at what you learn in astrological journals.

Body Piercimgs and Tatoos

Deb,

So right Astrology does educate us in so many ways. How very Victorian is the Prince Albert! It made me laugh.Must have been a very painful procedure to undergo as well as infection prone in an age that didnt have anti-bi-otics. I think Prince Albert died in 1840 just before anesthetics were introduced and Neptune was 'discovered'. :sg

R.C,

The Speedo budgie smugglers is still an 'in' look here on the beaches. The revealing cleavage is all the go too, even for aging women plus the straight hair! Not a good look at all. It's a different era we live in. Is this all a Pluto thing? :shock:

Julie K

Re: Body Piercimgs and Tatoos

Julie K wrote: It's a different era we live in. Is this all a Pluto thing? :shock:

Julie K
Hi Julie:

I had wondered about the possibility of Pluto. Pluto being co-ruler of surgery 8th Scorpio, would seem to apply. 8th house being ruler of surgery, death/regeneration. Cutting on oneself, trying to change one's appearance.

I suppose it makes more sense than any other planet. But then Pluto's not a planet after all now is it??

I'm not sure what to make of Pluto anymore now that they've taken his status away as a planet. But wouldn't matter as to its influence, so I still try to consider it. I guess you could try to pinpoint when all this piercing craze really started and see what was going on with the planets at that time to figure it out. I think it was maybe early 92 or 93 when it started or was it before that time?

RC

LOL since when do you listen to astronomers as to what a planet is, or did you never consider the MOON in your astrology, not a planet. by their standards either. LOL Granny Not the Sun either by the way...

but I digress

my pluto is trine my venus and I dont have any desire to do such interesting things to myself, my Chiron on the other hand is almost Opposed to Pluto and Sextile Venus so maybe that is part of the difference.

I still think there is a big generational thing going on as this is most popular with current 20 somethings, and not with older Gen.

I do somewhat wonder if it isn't a backlash on the 80's / 90's beauty stigmas of never have enough money or be good looking enough? kind of thing?

just a thought which to me shows up in the 1984 change of pluto into scorpio and neptune into Cap. SAturn also in Scorpio at the time probably helped. of course this is somewhat in my mind because my daughter born in 1983 has NO piercings, tattos etc, and the one born in 84 has both piercings and a tattoo. and 83 child has a late Libra Pluto late SAg Neptune,

that is a limited sampling I know, but it does seem as though the older childs class mates are a whole different breed than the younger ones classmates... and they are only 22 months appart

granny