Tolkien Quotes

If you haven't seen Lord of the Rings 3 yet - go see it.

Tolkien is our featured Capricorn so if you haven't done so yet, read Sue Toohey's great article on his life and horoscope:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/tolkien.html

Here's a few classic quotes from Tolkien (hmm, not sure about the first one... ):

The Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it reflects the generally small reach of their imagination.

It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.

Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes: in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to.
Letter to Michael Tolkien, March 1941

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Fellowship of the Ring

It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
The Fellowship of the Ring

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
The Fellowship of the Ring,

But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on -- and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end.
The Lord of the Rings

Here's a few classic quotes from Tolkien (hmm, not sure about the first one... ):

The Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it reflects the generally small reach of their imagination.
Within about 4 secconds the names, Shakepeare, Johnson and Dickens came to mind to refute that quote. And on a lesser level but just as imaginative Arthur Conan Doyle belongs on a short list. When people I respect say things like the above, I assume they were just having a bad day.

Wonderful article by Sue. She has a real knack for presenting a good deal of information in a relatively small space.

Tom

Yes great book and great set of films which I never thought would get made. An interesting article too.

I am just back from France - Brittany and noticed that Tolkein may have based his Riders of Rohan from there. The Rohan were one of the oldest and proudest families in France, claiming descent from the independent kings of Brittany.

One of the Dukes was known to have said something along the lines that neither King nor Prince am I so steward I remain. I also gather that the coat of arms for Landernau (ruled by Rohan) was the sun and the moon but that the sun was given up to the King of France and the coat of arms was left at just the moon.
Neil
Online Dating::Star Sign Compatibility

"Honesty's the Best Policy" - Miguel de Cervantes

Tolkien Quotes

:-?

A favorite Tolkien Quote of particular relevance to astrologers:

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous
gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."
- Gildor, The Fellowship of the Ring, JRR Tolkien