Reception, deception & rejection

Olivia Barclay briefly mentions my work on various types of planetary receptions in her great book Horary Astrology Rediscovered, 1990. [I was astounded to she that even mentioned it, because I never knew a person so 100% devoted to the classical. But thank you, Olivia! ] Since then I have release little on this material. In mid 80's I started observing different several planetary exchanges and introduced a concept of the 'deception' and 'rejection'.

Rejection - a condition that occurs when one planet is located in the detriment or fall of another planet, the second planet is likewise related to the first. The planets 'abhor' each other positions and matters collapse. Example: 1) The Sun in Scorpio or Capricorn with the Moon in Aquarius or Libra. 2) Venus in Gemini, Virgo or Capricorn with Jupiter in Aries, Virgo or Scorpio.

Deception - when one planet is located in the domicile or exaltation of a second planet, the second planet being in the detriment or fall of the first. This condition creates more complicated circumstances than the 'rejection' because in the deception one party delivers, the other not. In one way it is a relationship where two people are hung up in eachother, almost like a karmic imbalance. The two misunderstand eachother and get into knots. It is difficult to figure out the dialogue that the planets share. It is like a love-hate relationship. The one significator enjoys the admiration of the second, but there is no mutual reprociation. The second planet is in a representation the first signifcator abhors. Impulse and embarrassment intermix. Example: 1) Mars in Gemini or Virgo with Mercury in Taurus, Cancer or Libra 2) Jupiter in Libra, Capricorn or Aquarius with Saturn in Gemini, Virgo or Capricon.

The exception to the 'deception' is the Raja Yoga or 'King-combination' refered to by Denmark's Finn Wandahl. This occurs when a delibiated planet is in the same sign as a planet that is dignified by rulership or exaltation. This is a condition of great strength and fortune. Example: 1) Sun in Aries with Venus 2) Moon in Taurus or Cancer with Mars 3) Mercury in Virgo with Venus

In both the 'rejection' and 'deception' quality is improved if one planet is essentially digified becuase then this planet is in a better position to host the operations of the other.

The last condition is where planets that rule opposite signs appear in reception, because causes a conition akin to the 'Opening of Gates' that is refered to by both Al-Biruni and Coley. This combination is described as coherent with a changing of the 'weather', so there is likely to be introduced some crucial or significant news to the matter concerned, or a change of direction. Example: 1) Mercury in Cancer, Sagittarius or Pisces with Jupiter in Gemini or Virgo 2) Venus in Aries, Scorpio or Capricorn with Mars in Taurus, Libra or Pisces.
http://www.astronor.com

The exception to the 'deception' is the Raja Yoga or 'King-combination' refered to by Denmark's Finn Wandahl. This occurs when a delibiated planet is in the same sign as a planet that is dignified by rulership or exaltation. This is a condition of great strength and fortune. Example: 1) Sun in Aries with Venus 2) Moon in Taurus or Cancer with Mars 3) Mercury in Virgo with Venus
Does this apply to natal charts as well? Eg, I have Sun fallen in Libra but also Venus in Libra. I have to say I haven't noticed any "great strength and fortune" but then we are often blind to our own good fortune and I do have a very good marriage with Venus L.7th. :)

Tara

Yes. These conditions apply to nativities.

The 7th house does primarily relate to relationships and the soundness and quality of these. Not necessarily matters of wealth. A delibated Sun could on its own have spelt trouble. Venus certainly saves it.

The Sun is special among planets though. Is Venus under the Suns beams? A planet combust in its own sign is like a King kept hostage in his own Castle. The house ruled by the Sun shows what overwhelms that person.

Example: Today Nov 21. 2007

Receptions: Moon AR - Mars CN
Deceptions: Moon AR - Sun SC, Venus LI - Saturn VI
Rejections: Sun SC - Venus LI

Details:
Receptions - The Moon and Mars are in each others signs
Deceptions - The Moon is in the exaltation of the Sun, but he is in her detriment. Venus is in the exaltation of Saturn, but he is in her fall.
Rejections - The Sun is in the detriment of Venus, she is in his fall.

Interpretations:
The reception between the Moon and Mars may bring perfection to a question but with difficulty because the planets are enemies by their natural powers. Any question relating to seeding or the female reproductive organs are interesting due to the relationship to the feminine semi-circle of the Moon, ie. involving Cancer and Aries. The dignities and detriments of Mars add depth to the interpretation because the fall shows someone who is in a bit of a fix, however, dignity by triplicity gives means of performance. Things appear to go wrong, but there is still a good job being done on another level.

The deception between the Moon and Sun is complex. The Moon is to the Sun's advantage, but he is to her disadvantage. In a relationship there is pride and embarrassment. There is impulse (Moon Aries), but upon a questionable foundation (Sun in Moon's fall). Navigation is made difficult. In the deception between Venus and Saturn there is an aspect of misinformation that could make it hard to keep a promise. Venus is dignified, has all to offer and may save the day, but Saturn is a drag that takes her to her fall and may cause reason for an appology [This relationship does reveal a reception by triplicity, which shows at which level this relationship does work and where there is found a means to a solution. Venus is still weakened though and is the 'giving' part].

The rejection between the Sun and Venus does only have merit on the conditions of Venus. The Sun is in her face, she being strong by sign. The person signified by the Sun may be willing to make an appearance and receive support on this level but that is as far as the cooperation will go. There is bother danger, social risk and either examples of poor judgement or severe challanges. Better kept apart?

Re: Reception, deception & rejection

Followed this link from the horary section.
The exception is actually 'Neechabhanga Raja yoga' or power by virtue of Cancellation of debility.It is generally considered to be a giver of wealth rather than power(in Vedic system) and ususally comes into effect after the age of 30.

Another quirk in the vedic system is:

A planet in fall when retrograde gives the effect of exaltion and retrograde in exaltation acts like in fall.

and there are a few more ..

There is just one problem - these rules are in use in sidereal astrology.So, from a research point of view, only the last six degrees of any Tropical sign will have similarity with sidereal ones.

PD

Followed this link from the horary section.
The exception is actually 'Neechabhanga Raja yoga' or power by virtue of Cancellation of debility.It is generally considered to be a giver of wealth rather than power(in Vedic system) and ususally comes into effect after the age of 30.
Thank you, Pankajdubey! :'
I have written about this condition of several occasions although just casually called it a Raja Yoga, which means 'King-combination' and of which there are several. The Neecha-banga Raja Yoga is a very strong combination that occurs when a debilitated planet is in conjunction, or the same sign, as an exalted planet, which is that place where any planet finds it's highest and most naturan and unrestricted expression. With this combination the weakness of the debilitated planet is reversed and the planet enjoys great strength. It is like someone being the special guest of the King, who is home in his Castle.

This condition was first explained to me by the danish astrologer Finn Wanndahl. I have been working with an expanded version of this Raja Yoga, where a planet in its detriment or fall is saved and lifted to great height if hosted by a planet in either its own sign or exaltation.

pankajdubey wrote:Another quirk in the vedic system is: A planet in fall when retrograde gives the effect of exaltion and retrograde in exaltation acts like in fall.
I need to think about this one. Lilly says that an exalted planet represents a person of a haught condition, arrogant and assuming more unto him than he is due. In my exerience, if an exalted planet is in the 7th or the lord of the 7th is in its exaltation, the native is attracted to a person of esteem but that has the tendency of getting up to all sorts of tricks and is not always faithful or trustworthy. It is like a cup running over its brim.

I could easily reason that planets in their exaltation, when retrograde. get up to more mischief and that any person should take more caution in dodging them. Retrograde planets have the tendency to reverse into you. There is the need to bear in mind Goldstein-Jacobsen's explaination concerning the condition that says that with retrograde planets 'there is more than meets the eye'.

My reasoning takes me to the conclusion that retrograde planets are more sensitive for good or for ill. I believe they are the 'cause' of many unexpected turns. A retrograde planet in the sign of its exaltation might be the cause of a sudden rise, however, it might not be enduring unless some steps of precaution are taken. Like a climber who makes fast advances to the top of a mountain; time should be taken to double-check the fixing points of the saftey line.

Now how could a planet in its fall AND retrograde have anything to offer? This is a mystery, because a planet in its fall is in a state of trouble and anguish and has no ability to express his strength therein. Unless the retrograde' acts like a mask and the person is restraining himself or does not show his true identity; Like a spy or a double agent, or a king who has dressed himself up in rags to be able to move among his people. There are cases where a double-negative becomes a positive, however, the king remains powerless until restored to his natural pose.

The idea should be explored but until further evidence is available I will retrain from pushing clients in front of retrograde planets that also are in a state of fall.

Hello

I have been practising traditional Indian astrology for years, together with Western astrology. However, I do not think that you can mix the two.

In traditional astrology, a retrograde planet has an accidental debility. It is weaker. However, I have doubts on this point. I know at least a person who is an engineer from a leading school and he has a retrograde Mercury . Such schools are very demanding and only take the best students. If his Mercury was weak, he could not in any way sustain the pace of learning which is requested there.

In Indian astrology, there may be differences of opinion. H.R. Seshadri Iyer, who is a well known and estimated Indian astrologer, says that retrograde planets are stronger. If a retrograde planet is in fall, it nevertheless retains some strength. Iyer is a traditional Indian astrologer. His books were first published in the sixties and have been reprinted nowadays. Hart Defouw, one of the authors of "Light on Life", teaches Iyer's system.

On Indian astrology techniques, there is an American site which is quite helpful for beginners. it is the site of Hank Friedman.

Regards
Martine

Martine wrote:In traditional astrology, a retrograde planet has an accidental debility. It is weaker. However, I have doubts on this point.
Thank you for this input. Consider the configuration we have had the last few days, which forms an interesting case. We have had Venus in her fall in the first half of Virgo together with Mercury retrograde in the sign of his exaltation in the latter half of Virgo.

This is both a Neecha-banga Raja Yoga at the same time as the effect of Mercury is 'supposively' reversed due to Mercury being retrograde. My evaluation is in favour of the Raja Yoga that I consider may be performed through some extra-ordinary fashion due to Mercury being retrograde.