Career Indecision

Hi folks,

I seldom post over here, but I would very much appreciate the guidance of those who are skilled (and not-so-skilled!) in natal astrology, particularly vocational astrology.

Having Neptune on the Midheaven is a real ****, as I waft and float from one job to the next, always interested in something new, always quickly bored. This was fine when I was in my early twenties and was focussed on traveling and 'life experience'. I have plenty of that now, but am feeling the urge to just PICK something that I can STICK to for enough time to 'get somewhere' besides the bottom rung of the ladder. I am smarter than that; I deserve more than I have allowed myself!

My interests, appropriately for a 10th house Scorpio Neptune, are in medicine and/or social work; I have 'narrowed' (ha, ha) down my list of potential courses of study to the following things:

1. Nursing (community or public health)
2. Social work/counseling
3. Psychology/counseling
4. Complementary medicine, particularly osteopathy or acupuncture/Traditional Chinese Medicine.

I keep waiting for some guidance from 'on high', as it were (I also have a 9th house Jupiter!), but am still spinning my wheels.

Do any of you have ANY suggestions, astrologically-related or otherwise, that can help me choose? They all have benefits, they all have drawbacks, some will take more schooling than others. In an ideal world I'd be able to do them all, all at the same time, but I need to start somewhere. :lol:

Details:

DOB 18 December 1969
10:01 a.m.
Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA (specifically, Patrick Air Force Base)

A huge thank you for any ideas!

Blessings,

A stumped Gunhilde :)

Hi Gunhilde,

this is a really an instant peek on your chart, but what I'm noticing is that the traditional ruler of your MC, Mars, is in the 1st house which would maybe point to a career that has to do with physical body. Your MC is located near a couple of stars that belong to the constellation of Centaurus - of course you know the Chiron myth and everything pertaining to that. Deb has written about Centaurus and its stars here http://www.skyscript.co.uk/centaur.html , in your case it might be interesting to look at that from the vocational point of view.

Ouch, what a chart!

Gunhilde,

Jupiter is right on top of that Neptune, expanding the darn thing and making it even worse. Poor dear.

I was born on the East Coast on Jan 14, 1970. I have a 6th House Vedic Sun, and my dream was to become a doctor. I did all my pre-med classes at night, took the MCAT, and did well enough to get into osteopathic medical school, but I failed out at the end of my first year. It was heartbreaking.

You have a 12th House Vedic Sun, so your greater interest in counseling is not surprising - the 12th House is associated with prisons and confinement, which in modern terms, includes mental illness. It is also a "medical" house (disease). Your Vedic Ascendent is Dhanishta, "the richest one". These folks usually have access to enough money to continue their education. They also have a love of travel, which you mentioned. More information on the nakshatras is available online at Joni Patry's site, www.galacticcenter.org - use the "search" to find her excellent nakshatra reference. You now need to register at her site to access it.

Let's get practical. At your age, unless your pre-meds are done and you've taken your MCAT and are ready to apply, you can forget about osteopathic medicine. You are not going to take up a precious space in an entering class when there will be questions about your stamina for an 80 hour a week residency. I faced these questions when I was younger than you are now, but still a non-traditional student.

The others are all options. I notice that Rahu is near your Ascendent. See if you can get a hold of Kellerher's Path of Light Vol 1, and look at the delineation for Rahu, since yours is prominent.

Your Vedic Moon is Magha, in early Leo. Get Prash Trivedi's book on the nakshatras, The Celestial Portals and look at the professions catalogued for Magha. The Moon is a very important career indicator in jyotish. Learn how to calculate your sidereal Jupiter (for your birthdate, subtract roughly 23.70 degrees from the degree of your Western Jupiter, and then place it in the correct Vedic house. I just told you your Vedic Ascendent, so you should be able to figure this out.) Jupiter also plays a role in career choice in jyotish. With a better understanding of your Moon, Ascendent, and Jupiter, you may confirm your interests.

Again, practically speaking, nursing is going to be your most employable option. Nursing programs expect a lot. If you're not up for it, they will let you go. If you want something "touchy feely" where you can't fail out, Chinese medicine is the way to go. With your Uranus in the 8th House of other people's money, I can see the practical issues are a real weakness, so consider your limitations. If you have the patience for counseling, that might be a nice fit.

Secondary progressions: Your Sun is progressing through the 1st house, while your Mercury (how you learn) should be in the 12th by now (based on my quick eyeballing of the chart). This is the right time. Make a decision, stick to it, and get going.

When I set up my astrology practice, I suspect I'm going to have a lot of clients like you...
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/

Hi there,
Jupiter is right on top of that Neptune, expanding the darn thing and making it even worse. Poor dear.
Actually, there are 28 degrees between them (Jupiter at 0 Scorpio and Neptune at 29 Scorpio, roughly) so I don't feel they really touch one another all that much. It would truly be awful if they were closer, although I suppose I would also then qualify for 'spiritual master'! Or major druggie, one or the other! :D

Like you, Sunny Dawn, I did pre-med, but got to calculus and gave up; I couldn't see the point in struggling with a subject that I would never, ever use again, just so I could work 80 hours a week! I still sometimes regret not following through, but at that point in my life I was having a sort of meltdown (the post-Saturn Return years), so it's probably best that I discontinued it when I did...

By osteopathy, I am thinking of the British form of osteopathy, which is less oriented toward the medical side of things and more toward tissue/muscle alignment and the flow of energies, like a combination of chiropractic and physical therapy. The training is still rigorous (and four years), but it's not medical school.

The Centaur article was very interesting indeed. I do think I have 'healing hands': I work in a hospital right now as a patient sitter, and I find that I have a knack for finding ways to help patients deal with their pain, often with just a simple touch on their arm or the like. I don't know what it is or how it works; I just know that it does. I definitely understand the idea of being wounded and healing others, not oneself! :)

However, counseling is also of interest because I am able to 'read' people and see what they are hiding, to a certain extent, and seem to draw people who need my advice, for whatever reason. It's definitely a calling of sorts, but a vocation? I dunno...

It was curious to see that I have a 12th house Vedic sun. The prison thing rang a bell; one of the areas I was thinking about working in was prison counseling/teaching. The other, not surprisingly, was mental health, especially addiction counseling.

The Vedic astrology is interesting... I am unfamiliar with it except in the vaguest of terms, so will go off to investigate!

I definitely feel the time is NOW; to choose something and follow through. It's just all so interesting... EVERYTHING is interesting for a short while; my problem is staying power. I get bored very, very easily. Much to my own detriment. :?

GH :)

One other thing...

And your Ascendent and Moon are now in different nakshatras (I hate when I make a mistake like this with someone new to jyotish, because I don't want to confuse them. But this does highlight the precision of the nakshatras: the correct nakshatras are a far closer fit than the ones I mentioned earlier, based on what you have said of yourself so far.)

Right away, I see your natal Moon is in Ashwini, the sign of the divine physician and the restless wandering horse (From one Ashwini to another, this doesn't surprise me at all.) And your Ascendent is in Shravana, which makes total sense. Shravana is known at "The Star of Listening", and its natives are said to make excellent counselors.

You couldn't ask for better nakshatras for what you say you want to do, girl. Good luck!
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Sunny Dawn, for all that!

I googled 'shravana ascendant' and came up with The Nakshatras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology By Dennis M. Harness, including a good explanation of both Ashwini and Shravana. I had to chuckle a little; it pretty much nails it on the head. Apparently physician, healer, psychologist AND counseling are typical career choices. Oh, me. :shock: It was also encouraging to read: "often is wealthy by middle age". So I still have a window of a few years to get there! :lol:

GH :)

Re: Career Indecision

Gunhilde wrote:Hi folks,

I seldom post over here, but I would very much appreciate the guidance of those who are skilled (and not-so-skilled!) in natal astrology, particularly vocational astrology.

Having Neptune on the Midheaven is a real ****, as I waft and float from one job to the next, always interested in something new, always quickly bored. This was fine when I was in my early twenties and was focussed on traveling and 'life experience'. I have plenty of that now, but am feeling the urge to just PICK something that I can STICK to for enough time to 'get somewhere' besides the bottom rung of the ladder. I am smarter than that; I deserve more than I have allowed myself!

My interests, appropriately for a 10th house Scorpio Neptune, are in medicine and/or social work; I have 'narrowed' (ha, ha) down my list of potential courses of study to the following things:

1. Nursing (community or public health)
2. Social work/counseling
3. Psychology/counseling
4. Complementary medicine, particularly osteopathy or acupuncture/Traditional Chinese Medicine.

I keep waiting for some guidance from 'on high', as it were (I also have a 9th house Jupiter!), but am still spinning my wheels.

Do any of you have ANY suggestions, astrologically-related or otherwise, that can help me choose? They all have benefits, they all have drawbacks, some will take more schooling than others. In an ideal world I'd be able to do them all, all at the same time, but I need to start somewhere. :lol:

Details:

DOB 18 December 1969
10:01 a.m.
Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA (specifically, Patrick Air Force Base)

A huge thank you for any ideas!

Blessings,

A stumped Gunhilde :)
Hi I'm no astrolger but just a suggestion for that 10TH house Neptune of yours.....eg

I have a 10th house Neptune and my job is soooo logical eg I'm a technician but I use my neptune in my personal life eg with my hobbies...I dance and perform in with an amatuer drama group, so I can be something else for a moment in time.
My picture is taken from a dance I did at a fair where I was a warrior.

So my 2 cents worth is this....find something that you enjoy and can lose yourself in whether it be music, dance...whatever and don't worry if you don't stick to it cos there is always something else out there :)
Remember that everything we have somebody before us shed blood,sweat and tears so we could have a better life !

Thank you for your input, SunPluto. Everything helps! It's funny that you mentioned theatre; I had been considering joining a local theatre group (like a village one, or something) as a set designer. I'm also considering taking classical voice training lessons as a 'hobby': I've got a good voice, but no technique as of yet for bettering it. I'll keep these things in mind.

I had a conversation or two with my spiritual teacher about this subject (career), and he basically said that it doesn't really matter *which* one of these things I choose, as they'll all be good and get me on my path. He suggested that I just take the most pragmatic route to one of them (e.g. whichever one is easiest to get into, gets paid for by my employer, etc.) and start from there. Which was kind of a relief to hear.

He also said I need to stop being a slave to my thoughts. I *do* have a 3rd house Moon/Saturn conjunction, after all... :lol:

Gunhilde :)