Do you use your profection in your practice of horoscope reading?

Never
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Rarely
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Occasionally
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Often
Total votes: 15 (79%)
Total votes: 19

Profection and the Lord of the Year

Could someone please kindly point me to the most updated study on the concept of Profection and the Lord of the Year? I would in addition like to know how widely this method is actually practiced in Western astrology, both in past and present.

I have gone through the glossary of terms and most of the old forum discussions on the topic here in skyscript, as well as something I find on the internet (http://stargazersjournal.com/blog/artic ... ofections/). At this point, I cannot judge how reliable the information are and I hope someone here would have the expertise to show me as well the sources they base their understanding on.
Associate Professor, Kyoto University
www.billmak.com

Re: Profection and the Lord of the Year

I'm not sure I'd call them studies on the concept of profection exactly (it's a very simple concept), but Ben Dykes's Persian Nativities series of translations have quite a lot of material on annual horoscopy, including the use of profections.

Profections belong to the techniques that were resurrected in the 1980s to '90s after having been more or less completely forgotten for centuries. Lilly used them in the late 17th century, but he was probably among the last to do so. The few who continued to practise astrology into the 18th century mostly followed Placidus, who had rejected all such 'artificial' techniques.

Interestingly, the Indian reception of Perso-Arabic (Tajika) astrology differentiates between the ruler of the profection and the ruler of the year, the former being one of up to five candidates for the office of the latter. The rules for selecting the final ruler of the year are unlikely to have originated in India, as they are based on Tajika criteria such as triplicity rulership.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Hi Billmak

I use them all the time, I never look at a natal chart anymore without considering the lord of the year and its condition in the chart, and where it's transiting at that time.

I'm not sure what you mean by study though. Do you mean some kind statistical or empirical study of its use, or do you mean more a study of older texts which discussed it? It's really a simple technique, but one which I've personally found incredibly useful.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

Hi Bill Mak

We have a regular group meeting and use profections on multiple charts each week.

The people who are asking aren't enquiring about why things are a certain way psychologically, rather they want to know what is happening on an ordinary practical level.

Using profections with solar returns is a bit like discovering horary, in that it gets to the essence of the things people are asking about quickly.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in your personal practice, whether at profections more use Valens method, profections in whole marks, or moving the ASC and profection , throughout the year, so we have two rulers during the year?

Thanks,

I use both Valens (discrete jumps) and Medieval (incremential) pointers in my software. Often there are hits with the latter, but it is a matter of understanding the difference between event driven logic and process driven logic (as Schmidt would say, the aorist tense).
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

Thank you for your reply ,

I mainly use Midieval technique, but I'm in a dilemma , if I'm wrong?
In my personal case , in my personal natal chart this proved precise and accurate , but of course there is always a doubt .
In particular, I doubt if the ASC at the end of the sighn, then profection would be only a month in one, but would be changed to another sighn very soon, and what if these two rulers speak completely different story ? What then should be considered?

And one more question, do you pay special attention to the moment when some planet is changing the sign in profections?

Regards,

You should be able to rectify in that case. Go with the interpretation that is concretely more accurate. But don't just use profections. I'd look at zodiacal releasing and other methods as well. Valens says that some areas of the chart (also methods) are more telling (chrematistikos) than others and therefore those techniques are not used. For instance Valens would ignore those profections handing over to empty houses in a given year and place more emphasis to those that are active.

Thinking in terms of processes instead of hits takes practice. You have to think more broadly in terms of the subject matter and think about what the issues of the times were. Then when the major period hands over to the sub period where the general lord is (Schmidt pointed this out) that becomes the focus of the whole period.
Curtis Manwaring

Another thing that helps is to look at how previous years in the cycle were. For example, if you're currently in a 10th house profection year as of 2015, then look back at 2003, 1991, 1979, etc... The same principle works in other time lord methods as well. If one is currently in a L2 Venus decennial, then look back at the last time Venus was a L2 decennial and compare the periods in terms of how Venus is placed and its subject matter by house and rulerships. That is how you draw out patterns and begin to know what you are looking at. Schmidt has said that the goal of these is to render the chart "intelligible".
Curtis Manwaring

Thank you for your answers ,

In any case , there are many different sources , and different approaches , and my guess is that you should pick one method , for which we can be sure that he has given us the best results.

It is a great pleasure to read you and learn from you, and that's the reason I came to this forum . And without learning, there is no knowledge or progress.

Best regards,