AP - comments on the Isaac Newton article

28 Sept 2003

Re: Isaac Newton and the Ocean of Truth
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/newton.html

Gina:

Well done, Sue Toohey, on your terrific article about Isaac Newton! It was very well researched, and you wove an admirably readable portrayal, including what must've been some rather difficult concepts for a non-mathematician (presumably?) to describe.

I knew very little about Newton before, so it's helpful to find a refreshing style of writing, rather than dry text-book summaries.

I wonder if he was Scorpio rising, rather than Libra (thinking of his honouring the secrecy of Hermetic tradition - something which sits easily with a Scorp influence; also the profound depths to which he explored all his topics - mind you, the latter is just as descriptive of Mercury in Saggi's insatiable need to know and discover). What does Lois Rodden's rectified TOB (1.38am) come up with?

Even with the 1am chart, there's so much stimulating information to relate his life and works to, in his chart. That exploratory Mercury square his Sun-ruler Saturn. The social planets conjunct in Pisces, trining Uranus in Scorpio, with Sun sextile both these features. And so on..

He sure left a valuable legacy behind - which is fitting, for a Capricorn.
Thanks again for your commendable work.

Regards,
Gina.

--------------------------------------

Deb:

I'll agree to that. I read a few weeks ago that Isaac Newton was voted the greatest ever Briton in a world-wide poll. In the UK, Sir Winston Churchill came out tops, but when it was put to an international audience Newton walked it.
I'm really pleased Sue's article has made it possible for astrologers with a general interest to see that Newton wasn't the cause of the demise of astrology, but achieved greatness in his own life precisely because he was sensitive to the fact that the universe is not a spiritually devoid mechanism.

------------------------------

Sue:

Thanks for that Gina.

I agree that it can be tempting to see Newton as having a Scorpio ascendant. Most biographers put his birth time at between midnight and 2am. It is at 2am exactly that the ascendant moves into Scorpio. It's hard to know really.

I knew very little of Newton before I started researching for the article except what was commonly believed. I grew to have an enormous amount of respect for him and it has left me feeling quite sad that his known legacy has been somewhat obscured and manipulated by the needs of scientific historians to fit him into their mold. It makes me wonder how many other people have suffered the same treatment.

-------------------

Graelhaven:

where is the article please, I'd like to read it. MissB

-----------------------

Deb:

(Speechless, because it's been on the home page for months...)

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/newton.html