Personal Lunar Months

For some time now I have tried to lock my clients onto their personal lunar cycles. This is nothing more than pointing out the regular monthly cycles of lunar transits.

The results have been quite amazing, really, but the idea is neither particularly revolutionary nor original.

Previously, I have considered the '1st of the month' to be on the new moon, but I have become increasingly convinced that this day should vary from client to client.

I have several thoughts as to which transit I might use to mark the beginning, and would like opinions. There is an obvious logic both for each one and against each one.

1) Moon con ascendant

2) Moon con moon
3) Moon con sun

4) Moon opp moon
5) Moon opp sun

6) Moon con L1

Or should I stick with the real new moon in the real new sky?

My analytical preference is for 1, 2 or 3 above, although something nagging in my head tells me that the really logical answer, the original (ingenius?) answer is 6.

Cafeastrology.com calls 3, "Your personal New Moon" and the calls 2, "The start of your personal lunar month", both of which make sense.

Any ideas?

I'll guess that you've got the best answer when you say that it should vary from person to person, but I'll start by mentioning another possibility - the moment in each lunation when Sun and Moon are in the same relationship as they are in the natal chart. For what it's worth, I think Dane Rudhyar favoured that, but on the 'keep it simple' principle, that should probably be the last one you go for.

My impression, based on my own experience, is that current aspects between planets are almost always stronger than aspects to the past, and the personal cycles, it seems to me, operate within the collective cycles; so I would definitely recommend that people try to tune into the active lunation cycle that are acting on everybody before looking for patterns in lunar transits to natal points.

Having said that, I tend to treat the Ascendant as the start of the primary cycle for all the planets - the sun going into the first house definitely feels to me like the start of a new year, much more than my birthday does - so your 1 is the one I use (though mostly I focus on longer cycles, so I only occasionally look at personal lunar transits). But different aspects of experience possibly resonate with different cycles - perhaps moon/ascendant for engagement with the world, moon/moon for essentially internal experiences and moon/sun for interactions with 'the source'?