I've noted that the progressed chart as such is quite a good indicator of events. Progressed Moon touching one of the progressed angles has marked two of the most importaint turning points of my life - to the day, if I rectify the chart 36 seconds forward. Also progressed Lunar phases are really enlightening. You could experiment with putting the progressed chart on the inside and your natal chart outside.

One issue I find interesting is whether astrologers give primary focus to progressed planets houses in terms of the radical / natal chart or against the backdrop of the SP chart itself.

I tend to look more at the former but I know a lot of people give great weight to planets progressed house placement too.

I agree the secondary progressed Moon can be a very powerful predictive indicator. In addition the ingress of planets ie their movement into a new sign by SP is very significant in my experience too. In my life I was offered my first job working as a solo trainer ( away from team work) the very day my SP mercury moved from Pisces to Aries. Although I think the power of that particular ingress is partly explained because I have mercury conjunct the MC natally.

You will not find much content on secondary progressions on skyscript. The site is devoted to traditional techniques and secondary progressions are a borderline case being developed by the the mathematician -astrologer, Placidus de Titis in the 17th century. He developed the system as a more simplified method of predictive astrology due to the arduous mathematics involved in primary directions. Many traditional astrologers see primary directions as a more powerful predictive tool. Its main downside is that a slight variation of birth time by a few minutes can dramatically change predictions with this method.

If you are looking for basic information on secondary progressions I recommend this site which has a good introduction to the subject and key issues to look out for. There are also some book recommendations.

http://www.cafeastrology.com/secondaryprogressions.html

MarkC wrote:[Placidus] developed the system as a more simplified method of predictive astrology due to the arduous mathematics involved in primary directions
Well, not really. Placidus conceived of it as an auxiliary to primary directions, not as a separate technique. He was trying to interpret a statement by Ptolemy (which actually referred to profections) in a way which seemed more 'scientific' to a 17th century mind. For this reason he was mainly interested in the secondary directions of the Sun and Moon, these being the Ptolemaic significators.

Re: reading a progressed chart

moonwise wrote:How does one read a progressed chart? We're looking at the progressed Venus which started retrograde and is now going direct.

I'm assuming this means something good. Anywhere on this site I can research this?
That depends on the location and aspects your progressed Venus makes. I've seen direct motions of Venus make a mostly positive influence depending on its position, and aspects to other planets in the natal & progressed horoscope. However, I would need to know the birthdata.
Theo

moonwise wrote:
We're looking at the progressed Venus which started retrograde and is now going direct.

I'm assuming this means something good.
Venus turning direct by progression generally coincides with the native gradually becoming more outgoing and less shy in social situations which in turn gives a better chance of forming satisfying relationships.

Areas of life suggested by Venus's house and the houses she rules will also be affected, usually in a good way. One would have to look at the specifics of each chart to say anything more definite than that.
Progressions are subtle but nonetheless important indicators of inner growth and development.

Mark C wrote:
One issue I find interesting is whether astrologers give primary focus to progressed planets houses in terms of the radical / natal chart or against the backdrop of the SP chart itself.

The progressed chart can be reliably read as a standalone chart, although I rarely do this. Given the time constraints of a chart reading, I focus on the progressed chart's relationship to the nativity. Whenever I teach secondary progressions I do a class on the progressed chart as a standalone and I find that it describes very well what's going on in my students' lives without reference to the natal chart.

Tara