Re: Mental illness

Hello friend,
As per Vedic astrology, for mental illness or psyschological problems, Along with Asc. lord's strength take a close look on Moon. If Asc. lord or Moon or both are weak and under the negative effect of Malefic planets Specially: Saturn, Rahu ( Dragon's head) or Ketu ( dragon' tail), there are more chances of mental illness.

Like: Satrun causes fear and lonelyness, dirty life style etc.
Rahu : causes sleeping disorder, fear etc.
Ketu : lake of conectraion etc.

Also this problem may very person to person as per his/her horoscope.

Thanks

J K Sharma

Good topic. I think everyone here is pretty spot on. To add to it, I was diagnosed by a medical professional with a personality disorder. Specifically 'Avoidant Personality' which is I don't really like being in environments that I'm expected to say something. I am very nervous/anxious in public spectacles and it's pretty sucky.

Now to my natal aspects..

Like Gunhilde mentioned, I have 3 planets on Leo (Venus, Mercury, Mars)..Merc-Mars are in conjunction, squared by Saturn and the south node in Scorpio. And a trine from Mercury to Uranus, which could probably be indicative of something regarding the mind and being unstable. The square would suck more, though.

Also, Saturn and Jupiter are squared by House in my chart but not by degree so in medieval sense there is still a square influence there. Mars is also opposed Jupiter by house.

Hehe, am I on my way to the yellow house then? :D :-sk

My Asc. ruler went to Leo in the 12th (Mercury) and conjucts (partile) Jupiter (the ruler of the intercepted 4th and tradit. ruler of the 7th). Saturn is in the 1st so they don't form any harsh aspects to it and there's an applying sextile to Mars in the 10th. (Though, Saturn does square Mars 1st/10th) Yet, they do form an applying opposition to the Moon in the 6th and square Uranus. (If we add Chiron from the 9th, we get the grand square). This conjuction also forms a sextile to the Pluto (2nd) and a trines Neptune (4th).
Another thing I might be observing iI had found it in a chart would be a YOD- pointing to the Moon (6th) by Quincunxes to the Venus (11th) and Saturn in the 1st.

I have never been diagnosed with a mental illness! :-T I'm not introverted or shy either, rather communicative, liberal and oppenly expressing my oppinions.
But, with Mercury simolising youth and young people, i might draw a paralell with what some of you are saying- I used to have a severe melancholic period when I was about 5 years old, starting to cry with no good reason (actually, finding nonsense reasons to start crying) and intentionally letting objects slip out of my hands whenever I could.It was long time ago but I do remember I used to feel as if being trapped in my own skin and having the urge to throw things or say something inappropriate to make me feel better. I saw the escape from that in school and so they enrolled me in the 1st grade a year earlier than other kids and things got better. (I was allowed to carry cakes to our neighbours again! :D ). Later, when I was about 17, after a rather traumatic experience when I was say 16(an atempt of a sexual attack) I started having sort of flash-backs and have experienced a really lousy emotional period. That was the only time I really needed to seek for a pro help and I did though, it was nothing a few sessions couldn't fix. And that's about it. i'm 29 now, and I've got no disorders what so ever! :lala :brows A pesimistic child has grown into a very optimistic grown up and, though I don't know where to to find it in the chart, I'm rather known for making people feel better even when I need someone to lift my energy up a bit.
Moon from the 6th, with all those hard aspects, is also trining Mars in the 10th (working often has a healing affect on me and I often use it as an escape from troubles sorrounding me) and, together with Pluto in the 2nd, they form a grand air trine. So that Mars together with the trine may be the keeper of my sanity! :)

That position of Mercury in the 12th has caused me having longer periods of "isolation" and "loneliness" as well as some periods of feeling I was captured in the house(s) I lived in. But each time in real life, not on the emotional level. (Though, such periods can make you extremly weak and pathetic!). On the other hand, my mother (the moon) has had to phases of a severe depression which had, of course, caused a lot of misery to the rest of the familly.
But it seems like all of those aspects have brought some "outer" influences and made me a sort of a "victim" of the disorders that people sorrounding me were suffering from. Not me.

That position of Mercury in the 12th has caused me having longer periods of "isolation" and "loneliness" as well as some periods of feeling I was captured in the house(s) I lived in.
That's interesting. I too have a 12th house Mercury and experience periods of isolation...sometimes loneliness, but rarely. I'm generally quite happy on my own. In fact, I need it. My ascendant (Aquarius) and Mercury (in Capricorn) are both ruled by my 3rd house Saturn, which is retrograde. I NEED periods of isolation; too much 'activity' drives me a bit coo-coo. Especially with the Mercury/Uranus square. I need time to unwind!

hiimnotcool:
And a trine from Mercury to Uranus, which could probably be indicative of something regarding the mind and being unstable. The square would suck more, though.
It's not so bad! :lol: "Independent- minded" I would call it...but the live-wire nature of the square can't be argued with, for sure. My mind goes a mile a minute, and I sometimes stutter (or sputter, more like) when I get excited: my brain works much faster than my mouth. At 38 I have learned to slow down and try to be very, very diplomatic about things...with the 12th house Mercury I generally now 'keep my thoughts to myself', as I used to get into quite a bit of trouble by playing the other half of the square, Uranus. :)

GH

Gunhilde wrote: That's interesting. I too have a 12th house Mercury and experience periods of isolation...sometimes loneliness, but rarely. I'm generally quite happy on my own. In fact, I need it. My ascendant (Aquarius) and Mercury (in Capricorn) are both ruled by my 3rd house Saturn, which is retrograde. I NEED periods of isolation; too much 'activity' drives me a bit coo-coo. Especially with the Mercury/Uranus square. I need time to unwind!

GH
Agree there, GH, I too apriciate when the rest of the World allows me to have my own and private 5min (even houres or days :D ) and do quite enjoy such periods. I can be very productive and creative in such phases as well (Aquarius Moon) so, i do love being on my own- not all the time but I do need it. My Sun and Venus in Cancer (in 11th!!!) prevent me from isolating myself entirely- so I do love being sorrounded by pople but appreciate my own private universe as well.
But there are so many other things in my chart taht bring this Mercury to the surface so intensively. It is also my Asc ruler and in a very dynamic position. I've been "studying" Asc ruler in the 12th (especially Mercury) for the past few years for- the first thing you look for when you start learning Astrology is your own Ascendant ruler and the first explanations you find when you realise it's in the 12th, are no fun at all! :-sk :D There's a lot more than a simple black&white "introverted/hard in expressing its own feelings" explanation. (I'm not introverted after all! :D ). Depending of the rest of the chart, it can be a trigger for a very productive person as well as a huge obstacle. The construction of the personality plays another important role there (some pople can use hard aspects of such a postion to become extra productive, some can use it to make easy things become hard or to see black shadow on white sheet of paper, some can't stand the pressure). So, my Mercury ought to cause some harsh periods and experiences in my case, obviously, for, not only it is in the 12th, but there are also a T-square, trines and sextiles (all over the chart :D ) and it conjucts Jupiter which comes from the intercepted 4th and 10th involving my home (and mother). It would be hard to expect it to be gentle enough to bring me the periods of solitude I would enjoy in and save me from experiencing hard times/feelings and anxiety caused by external influences.
There's another thing such Mercury (when opposing the Moon) can bring- difficulties speaking, yet, my whole professional life is about speaking and that is exactlly the area where I feel secure the most.
These things aren't really a part of the mental illness story but the reason why I'm mentioning them is that- I myself am still trying to figure out what influences controll the way(s) my Mercury will express itself and it's far away from a plain explanation of any kind. The first look at my chart might be suggesting I was a good candidate for a deppressive person yet, it is a disorder that has entered my life (a few times ) and has caused me having extra harsh times but I wasn't the one suffering from it. Some other facts from the chart that might be indicating inner turmoils have also been the triggers for some external ones. Natal charts are comlicated, after all! :brows
Last edited by aglaya on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

Gunhilde wrote: but the live-wire nature of the square can't be argued with, for sure. My mind goes a mile a minute, and I sometimes stutter (or sputter, more like) when I get excited: my brain works much faster than my mouth. GH
:D Been there! Though, I still ove my big mouth and fast thoughts. :lala Uranus is a friend of mine!

There's an interested thing- my Uranus is in Scorpio (the 3rd) and squaring my Asc ruler Mercury (12th)- I've never had any technical knowledge whatsoever but I was always the one called up to fix a telephone that had stopped working or to "make" the new TV (DVD, VHC) start working when all the intruction manuals were lost (or un Japanese). I was the one to do it in the whole neighbourhood, even the headmaster in my elementary school had called me once to see what was wrong with his VHC player though some of the kids from the school had been experienced enough to make one themselves if it took. :)

RC wrote:If Mercury is in the Twelfth House and badly afflicted, especially by Saturn or Mars, and also if combust or behind the sun, there is a danger of insanity.

Uranus should also be considered, especially afflicted in 6th house.

Uranus in Pisces, where it is now can be a bad placement for tendency to insanity if it is badly afflicted.

RC
what if rising ruler Moon is in 12, square mars in 3 and a distant opposition to saturn?

Re: Mental illness

J K Sharma wrote:Hello friend,
As per Vedic astrology, for mental illness or psyschological problems, Along with Asc. lord's strength take a close look on Moon. If Asc. lord or Moon or both are weak and under the negative effect of Malefic planets Specially: Saturn, Rahu ( Dragon's head) or Ketu ( dragon' tail), there are more chances of mental illness.

Like: Satrun causes fear and lonelyness, dirty life style etc.
Rahu : causes sleeping disorder, fear etc.
Ketu : lake of conectraion etc.

Also this problem may very person to person as per his/her horoscope.

J K Sharma
according to Prof VK choudry al my planets are weak and lagna ruler Mercury is conjunct saturn
9 jan 1962 at 14.15 in lisbon, portugal

Re: Signs of Mental Illness in Traditional Astrology

Gjiada wrote:
carriere.francois wrote:Hello everyone,

Can somebody tell me where I can find some good rules for "finding" mental illness in a natal chart? I looked in Christian Astrology, chapter CVII, but it was not clear. One has to look at ASC., Moon and Mercury. .
Hello Francois,
Tetrabiblos "The diseases of mind" III, 19
Hi

i dont understand if what ptolomy says below is whether the luminaries are conjunct venus and mars or simply aspecting thses planets can lead to excessive desire. The translation leaves a lot to be desired

"
The morbid perversion of the active part of the soul in its general nature, therefore, is produced in some such forms as these and is produced by these configurations of the planets. The corresponding perversion of the passive portion, as in the former instance viewed in its extreme cases, is most apparent in excesses and deficiencies in matters of sex, male and female, as compared with what is natural, and in inquiry is apprehended in the same fashion as before, though the sun is taken, together with the moon, instead of Mercury, and the relation to them of Mars, together with Venus, is observed. For when these thus fall under observation, if the luminaries are unattended in masculine signs, males exceed in the natural, and females exceed in the unnatural quality, so as merely to increase the virility and activity of the soul. But if likewise Mars or Venus as well, either one or both of them, is made masculine, the males become addicted to natural sexual intercourse, and are adulterous, insatiate, and ready on every occasion for base and lawless acts of sexual passion, while the females are lustful for unnatural congresses, east inviting glances of the eye, and are what we call tribades; for they deal with females and perform the functions of males. If Venus alone is constituted in a masculine manner, they do these things secretly and not openly. But if Mars likewise is so constituted, without reserve, so that sometimes they even designate the women with whom they are on such terms as their lawful "wives."

But on the other hand, when the luminaries in the aforesaid configuration are unattended in feminine signs, the females exceed in the natural, and the males in unnatural practice, with the result that their souls become soft and effeminate. If Venus too is made feminine, the women become depraved, adulterous, and lustful, with the result that they may be dealt with in the natural manner on any occasion and by any one soever, and so that they refuse absolutely no sexual act, though it be base or unlawful. The men, on the contrary, become effeminate and unsound with respect to unnatural congresses and the functions of women, and are dealt with as pathics, though privately and secretly. But if Mars also is constituted in a feminine manner, their shamelessness is outright and frank and they perform the aforesaid acts of either kind, assuming the guise of common bawds who submit to general abuse and to every baseness until they are stamped with the reproach and insult that attend such usages. And the rising and morning positions of both Mars and Venus have a contributory effect, to make them more virile and notorious, while setting and evening positions increase femininity and sedateness. Similarly, if Saturn is present, his influence joins with each of the foregoing to produce more licentiousness, impurity, and disgrace, while Jupiter aids in the direction of greater decorum, restraint, and modesty, and Mercury tends to increase notoriety, instability of the emotions, versatility, and foresight.

Hello! I am new to Skycript, and joined primarily because of my recent interest in Horary and Traditional Astrology. However, this thread caught my attention.

Below is the chart of a close relative who was officially diagnosed in 1990/1991 with schizophrenia. She currently resides in an assisted and supervised living facility. I progressed the chart to November 1990, when the diagnosis became official, although it was clear that something was seriously wrong after the birth of her first and only child in November 1988. In the year following Novemer 1990, the situation degenerated so that she could no longer live unsupervised, her husband necessarily divorced her, and she lost custody of her female child.

[/img]

Natal Chart Notes: The Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all peregrine. The ruler of the ascendant, Mercury, is ruled by Mars which is in its fall, and squares Uranus almost exactly. Uranus, in turn, forms a close conjunction to the the South Node.

The Ascendant, at zero degrees Virgo, tightly squares natal Venus, ruler of the midheaven. The Moon is applying to the Sun (ruler of the 12th) and combust. Mercury, ruler of the ascendant, forms a tight square to Pluto, found in the 12th house.

An interesting note is that Jupiter, in Gemini and its detriment, rules the 7th house and tightly trines Mars, ruler of the 4th house. Gemini, of course, is ruled by Mercury which in turn rules the ascendant. It is the only trine of any note in the chart. Although her husband was forced to divorce her under the circumstances, he remains to this day interested and involved in her welfare. He has actively assisted in ensuring that she has had safe and appropriate living arrangements, and has encouraged a relationship between her and their daughter. On holidays, and to this day, he often allows her to stay at his house so she can be with their daughter. The husband is still considered a member of our family.

Notes on Progressed to November 1990: When my relative was officially diagnosed with schizophenia, the progressed Moon and progressed Sun formed a grand sqaure with natal Mars and natal Uranus.

I hope that this might be of some intererest to the readers of this thread.

Dlynne

Hi Dlynne!

Thanks for the chart! I?m doing a research using Astrodatabank charts and, as I?m a psychologist, I have charts of my clients as well. Do you mind to share the natal data? I coud not see clearly in the chart you posted, the definition is low, so if you please...I?d appreciate it.
Im my experience Mercury is really important and the 12th house as well.
But I have more to say later.

best regards

Clelia

Below is the chart of a close relative who was officially diagnosed in 1990/1991 with schizophrenia. She currently resides in an assisted and supervised living facility. I progressed the chart to November 1990, when the diagnosis became official, although it was clear that something was seriously wrong after the birth of her first and only child in November 1988. In the year following Novemer 1990, the situation degenerated so that she could no longer live unsupervised, her husband necessarily divorced her, and she lost custody of her female child.

[/img]

Natal Chart Notes: The Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all peregrine. The ruler of the ascendant, Mercury, is ruled by Mars which is in its fall, and squares Uranus almost exactly. Uranus, in turn, forms a close conjunction to the the South Node.

The Ascendant, at zero degrees Virgo, tightly squares natal Venus, ruler of the midheaven. The Moon is applying to the Sun (ruler of the 12th) and combust. Mercury, ruler of the ascendant, forms a tight square to Pluto, found in the 12th house.

An interesting note is that Jupiter, in Gemini and its detriment, rules the 7th house and tightly trines Mars, ruler of the 4th house. Gemini, of course, is ruled by Mercury which in turn rules the ascendant. It is the only trine of any note in the chart. Although her husband was forced to divorce her under the circumstances, he remains to this day interested and involved in her welfare. He has actively assisted in ensuring that she has had safe and appropriate living arrangements, and has encouraged a relationship between her and their daughter. On holidays, and to this day, he often allows her to stay at his house so she can be with their daughter. The husband is still considered a member of our family.

Notes on Progressed to November 1990: When my relative was officially diagnosed with schizophenia, the progressed Moon and progressed Sun formed a grand sqaure with natal Mars and natal Uranus.

I hope that this might be of some intererest to the readers of this thread.

Dlynne[/quote]
http://www.astrologiahumana.com

Hello, Cecilia:

I hope this is more legible:

Birth Data: December 5, 1953, 10:35 pm, Philadelphia, PA.

Also, as a correction to my previous post, I stated that the Mars/Jupiter trine is the only meaningful trine. Actually, it is the only trine using traditional planets.

Dlynne
Last edited by dlynne on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.