Combust is a big accidental debility as is being in the 8th house although less so. Overall I wouldn't say this is great, but it could be balanced by various essential dignities.

According to traditional astrologers, mars is the only planet not considered combust when conjunct the sun. I consider this to be a good placing indicating strong vitality and robust health (although death will be rapid whenever it occurs).

Mars is considered hotter and drier than the Sun, so Mars, in the viewpoint of some cannot be combust. Furthermore, some would argue that a planet, any planet, in its own sign is not combust, but acts more like a mutual reception given that the combust planet disposits and thereby strengthens the Sun. So given all the above. Mars is not combust.

However, Lord ASC in the 8th (and/or lord 8 in the ASC) is sometimes associated with self destructive behavior. I'm not saying it necessarily indicates suicide, but it can indicate other kinds of self destructive behavior ranging from say diffidence to alcoholism. It is a red flag.

Tom

Re: Thanks for reply

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your views regading query about combust Mars in Eight house.
In general, regarding a combust palnet; I have observed that the Combust palnet gives bad effects in its transit, specialy regarding health.
Thats why I asked this question. Are there any other views?
Please suggest.

Thanks
J K Sharma

mars, combust, health

Interesting about Mars not being combustible by the Sun as some posters stated. Mercury certainly can be, but that's besides the point.

I've found that healthwise a strong Mars, when in transit, gives strength to the sign it is transiting. (Mars through Gemini, helps carpel tunnel or heals a smashed finger). A debilitated Mars will ffect the body part governed by the sign worse. (Mars through Leo, significant back problems or heart issues).

Mind you these are just my observations with the different persons I know.

Tom wrote:Mars is considered hotter and drier than the Sun, so Mars, in the viewpoint of some cannot be combust. Furthermore, some would argue that a planet, any planet, in its own sign is not combust, but acts more like a mutual reception given that the combust planet disposits and thereby strengthens the Sun. So given all the above. Mars is not combust.

However, Lord ASC in the 8th (and/or lord 8 in the ASC) is sometimes associated with self destructive behavior. I'm not saying it necessarily indicates suicide, but it can indicate other kinds of self destructive behavior ranging from say diffidence to alcoholism. It is a red flag.

Tom

Hi,

I have two questions really. Does "Under Sun's Beams" equate with being combust, I know that the orb is the difference, but just wondering if that is still used in Astrology these days?

Second was about the 8th ruler being in the 1st house, particularly conjunct Ascendant. I know that there is a difference between having Ascendant ruler in 8th and 8th ruler in 1st, but it seems that i can't quite put my finger on it, maybe need some concrete examples.

I have two questions really. Does "Under Sun's Beams" equate with being combust, I know that the orb is the difference, but just wondering if that is still used in Astrology these days?
A planet "under the beams" is considered to be something less of a debility than combustion, but it is still a debility. The planet under the beams doesn't lose all of its power. In reading book 16 of Astrologia Gallica it seems that J. B. Morin rejected the idea of combustion and under the beams entirely.
Second was about the 8th ruler being in the 1st house, particularly conjunct Ascendant. I know that there is a difference between having Ascendant ruler in 8th and 8th ruler in 1st, but it seems that i can't quite put my finger on it, maybe need some concrete examples.
Lord 1 in 8 the native brings destruction on himself. Lord 8 in 1 death comes to the native from other sources. That's one way of differentiating it. The same sort of reasoning can be applied to other planets and houses.

Luke Broughton gives these delineations in The Elements of Astrology (1899):

Lord of the 1st in the 8th house, weak or afflicted, the native is always pensive, melancholy, and likely to attempt suicide, or is in much trouble or sorrow. It generally causes the native to be of short life, unless the giver of life is very strong."
Then this:
"If the lord of the 8th house is in the ascendant, it makes the native gloomy, despondent and melancholy, and he is likely to be of short life, especially if it is an evil planet; but he is likely to be fortunate in legacies or receive advantages from his wife's income, especially if the lord of the 2nd house is in good aspect to the lord of the ascendant or the lord of the 8th house, and the lord of the 8th house is a fortunate planet."
Tom

Tom wrote:
A planet "under the beams" is considered to be something less of a debility than combustion, but it is still a debility. The planet under the beams doesn't lose all of its power. In reading book 16 of Astrologia Gallica it seems that J. B. Morin rejected the idea of combustion and under the beams entirely.
Lord 1 in 8 the native brings destruction on himself. Lord 8 in 1 death comes to the native from other sources. That's one way of differentiating it. The same sort of reasoning can be applied to other planets and houses.

Luke Broughton gives these delineations in The Elements of Astrology (1899):

Lord of the 1st in the 8th house, weak or afflicted, the native is always pensive, melancholy, and likely to attempt suicide, or is in much trouble or sorrow. It generally causes the native to be of short life, unless the giver of life is very strong."
Then this:
"If the lord of the 8th house is in the ascendant, it makes the native gloomy, despondent and melancholy, and he is likely to be of short life, especially if it is an evil planet; but he is likely to be fortunate in legacies or receive advantages from his wife's income, especially if the lord of the 2nd house is in good aspect to the lord of the ascendant or the lord of the 8th house, and the lord of the 8th house is a fortunate planet."
Tom

Thank you for your reply Tom,

This has satisfied my question and I can't really ask for more for now anyway. : )

Though, I might add, just to think about the implications of those statements....

It seems as if lord of the 8th placed in the 1st is definitely a better placement on appearance. It means that maybe if the lord of the 1st is placed away from too much danger, not debilitated that the life should be better, in terms of that "melancholic, suicidal" definition. Because the 1st ruler is the signifier of life... To me it is interesting that 8th and 1st house should both be traditionally the domain of Mars, maybe requires more thought on house meaning.

Also remember, that if this is a night birth then there is a strong chance that Mars is of the sect in favor. That greatly changes things regarding its ability to be malefic. Especially if it is a trigon Lord. With it being in Scorpio that would mean that Mars is actually a good planet in the chart. 8th house sucks though.

Re: Asc lord is combust

Tom replied:
Mars is considered hotter and drier than the Sun, so Mars, in the viewpoint of some cannot be combust. Furthermore, some would argue that a planet, any planet, in its own sign is not combust, but acts more like a mutual reception given that the combust planet disposits and thereby strengthens the Sun. So given all the above. Mars is not combust.

However, Lord ASC in the 8th (and/or lord 8 in the ASC) is sometimes associated with self destructive behavior. I'm not saying it necessarily indicates suicide, but it can indicate other kinds of self destructive behavior ranging from say diffidence to alcoholism. It is a red flag.[/size]
This discussion, related to Asc lord is combust, has reached at a quite intersting point. As Tom has quoted that Lord ASC in the 8th (and/or lord 8 in the ASC) is sometimes associated with self destructive behavior, this seems somehow correct. In some above kind cases, I have also noticed that such person are of self-destructive nature. But reason vary fron person to person.

Thanks Tom for having intersting views which can be partically checked

Thanks everyone.

J K sharma