Hi Deb
But isn't it usually considered that Mercury is the domicile ruler of Virgo?
As I've just written in another thread that each planet except Sun and Moon rules masculine and feminie signs.
Last edited by Gem on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I start studying modern astrology was with a book of a so incompetent author that she said the exaltation of mercury was in another sign (no, I won?t say what sign)

Then some year ago, there were some attempts to invent the "exaltations" of uranus, neptune and pluto, and just sell them like they were just that, and not some guy?s invention. Gladly it didn?t work. Won?t tell that either :-)
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

As I've just written in another thread that each planet except Sun and Moon rules masculine and feminie signs

That's correct, but Mercury is both the sign-ruler and exaltation ruler of Virgo. The reasoning behing the exalations is more complicated than that of sign-rulership - there are various theories but they are all a bit speculative, so there's no one clear theory that is accepted by everyone. The planetary exalations appear to be older than the sign-rulership scheme because ancient Babylonian documents record their positions in older constellations that equate to the tropical zodiac positions.

You can see all the dignities as recorded by Lilly in the table on this link:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

Thanks Deb

Poor Mercury missing out on Exaltation when everyone else has got three signs to his/her name!
Deb wrote:That's correct, but Mercury is both the sign-ruler and exaltation ruler of Virgo. The reasoning behing the exalations is more complicated than that of sign-rulership - there are various theories but they are all a bit speculative, so there's no one clear theory that is accepted by everyone. .
I'd still love to know the reasoning behind the exaltations even though thy are all speculative... can anyone offer any theories please?
The planetary exalations appear to be older than the sign-rulership scheme because ancient Babylonian documents record their positions in older constellations that equate to the tropical zodiac positions
Sounds intrieguing though I'm not sure if I've understood it :???:
Last edited by Gem on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Ed, I'll read it later.
Mercury is both the sign-ruler and exaltation ruler of Virgo.
On a practical level then does Mercury in Virgo get whopping nine points(domicile ruler-5, exaltation ruler-4 points)? :shock:
Last edited by Gem on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theosophist astrologers like Sepharial and Alvidas believed Mercury exalted in Aquarius. This notion was codified in modern astrology by Rudhyar and Jones. The idea seems to have been that since Mercury has an "affinity" with Aquarius, it must be exalted there.

Andrew wrote:Theosophist astrologers like Sepharial and Alvidas believed Mercury exalted in Aquarius. This notion was codified in modern astrology by Rudhyar and Jones. The idea seems to have been that since Mercury has an "affinity" with Aquarius, it must be exalted there.
I can see why Mercury could be considered stronger in Aquarius than any other sign, other than Gemini and Virgo.

If you see Mercury as symbolising the capacity to order our thoughts, feelings and perceptions so they can be communicated and comprehended the rational quality of Aquarius seems very useful.

I recall Darby Costello saying it was 'exalted' here although i forget the context! I'm not suggesting she is a maverick rewriter of any table. Darby was talking about a 'clarity of expression' with this placement.

In a night chart, between the 6th and 12th degrees Mercury is triplicity and term ruler. Between the 10th and 20th degrees he is face ruler. Therefore, in a night chart between the 10th and 12th degrees Mercury is the triplicity, term, and face ruler and pretty strong there. This assumes the use of Ptolemy's terms.

Using the Egyptian Terms Mercury rules degrees 0 Aquarius to 7 Aquarius.

Tom