Hi,

One reference comes in my mind for the moment: Rethorius (chapter about the nature and force of the seven planets- the translation of James Holden, published in 2000, or the one made by Giuseppe Bezza, the last one is on the site Cielo e terra- free access).

As a personal experience, I find relevant also the 12 house (of course presenting a malefic conjuncture)

I forgot to mention what tells Rhetorius about this issue :brows (speaking about "mental abilities"...:lala ) .

When mercury rules the death (I would say has dominion over death) it brings madness, alienation, detention, epilepsy.

Hello Gjiada and Sasha,

Thank you for your tips!

I have Ptolemy's tetrabiblos. So, I'll read it right now. Actually, in French, Morin's Book XXI and Ptolemy's book are the two basic books we were taught to study, traditionally. Makes me a bad student... :,

Sasha, can you give me the title of Holden's translation of Rethorius, and where I can find it (perhaps its edition, I suppose the AFA)? Thank you.
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Sasha, can you give me the title of Holden's translation of Rethorius, and where I can find it (perhaps its edition, I suppose the AFA)? Thank you.
the exact title of the edition in English:

RHETORIUS THE EGYPTIAN

ASTROLOGICAL COMPENDIUM
containing his explanation and narration
of
the whole art of astrology

second edition

Published by the translator
PHOENIX, ARIZONA

I don't know where can be found.

sasha_i wrote:RHETORIUS THE EGYPTIAN

ASTROLOGICAL COMPENDIUM
containing his explanation and narration
of
the whole art of astrology

second edition

Published by the translator
PHOENIX, ARIZONA

I don't know where can be found.
James Holden informed me some time ago that it would be published by AFA in 2009. I was not aware of earlier editions.

Martin Gansten wrote:James Holden informed me some time ago that it would be published by AFA in 2009. I was not aware of earlier editions.
Hello Mr Gansten,

Thank you for the tip. Before you answered, I thought to email Mr. Holden at AFA. Hopefully, I should get an aproximate date when it will be published.
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Hi CF,

It's not traditional astrology but I have found hard Jupiter/Saturn aspects (ie tight square or opposition) to be a signal of potential difficulties in a native's mental health. The clashing of the expansion/contraction principles seems to put a strain on a person. This can lead to manic depression (swinging between extreme Jupiter behaviour only to crash back to Saturn, and round and round...) or similar syndromes. This depends on the houses Jup/Sat are in and their relative strength/dignities etc, as well as the rest of the chart, obviously. I've seen episodes "set off" by Mars transiting either the Jupiter (manic) or Saturn (depressive) end of the aspect (especially if other planets in the chart are involved in creating the hard aspect pattern).

I've also seen Saturn/Sun oppositions in two cases of alcoholism in young people - one Sun Taurus/Saturn Scorpio, one Sun Gemini/Saturn Sagittarius - Saturn demands too much and the Sun loses self-worth as a result perhaps.

Keren

Hello Keren,

Thank you for your answer. The Jupiter-Saturn aspects may correlate Mars-Saturn aspects also, I guess. Jyotish gives attention to the node axis, especially the North node. However, one must remember that they can aspect by opposition or trine. So probably if Mercury is trine or on the node axis, one may (and only may!!!) expect some psychological problem. I saw an astrology book from an American psychiatrist and almost every aspect (of all the planets!) were mentioned. So I better forget how to find mentally illness on a birth chart :-?
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

carriere.francois wrote:Hello Keren,

Thank you for your answer. The Jupiter-Saturn aspects may correlate Mars-Saturn aspects also, I guess. Jyotish gives attention to the node axis, especially the North node. However, one must remember that they can aspect by opposition or trine. So probably if Mercury is trine or on the node axis, one may (and only may!!!) expect some psychological problem. I saw an astrology book from an American psychiatrist and almost every aspect (of all the planets!) were mentioned. So I better forget how to find mentally illness on a birth chart :-?

Wow...who is this psychiastrist? What is the book? I am interested...my best friend has depression, would we would love to know more about astrology and mental illness.
Dogs are human too!

SourPatch wrote:Wow...who is this psychiastrist? What is the book? I am interested... my best friend has depression, would we would love to know more about astrology and mental illness.
Hello,

I don't remember the author. I think the title is "Signs of Mental Illness" and it's from AFA. However (a big however!!), you will find "everything and its contrary". Also, mental disease must be diagnosed by a medical professional. Although it is interesting to look at any chart searching this subject... Be cautious, though ;-)
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE