Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Daylight Savings/Time Change Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indigo Eyes

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Daylight Savings/Time Change Query Reply with quote

Hello and Good Day to All!

I am new to the study of astrology and new to this forum. This is also my first post here so please bear with me. I hope someone out there can help with this question on the use of daylight savings time, but since I am new to this forum, let me give a little background to start.

As I said I am sort of new to astrology. I've gotten pretty good at erecting charts but am still working on interpreting and synthesizing them. I thought doing a chart comparison between souls born at the same time but different locations (hence different house placements) would be an interesting and enlightening study, especially if you already have information on the life and personality of the two that are being compared. I then came across information that Barack Obama's rectified birth time is 1:06 pm in Hawaii. I also know someone born in St. Louis, Missouri, USA (90W12, 38N38) at 4:09 pm on the same day, month and year as Obama. This would put the birth times within 3 minutes of each other if using CST or 1 hour and 3 minutes if using CDT. This is my dilemma--I'm not sure whether to use CST or CDT for the St. Louis chart.

I know that Daylight Savings Time or War Time was not consistently observed in the past so I purchased a book titled, "Time Changes in the USA, Revised Edition," authored by Doris Chase Doane (Copyright 1997). According to this book, localities in the St. Louis, Missouri area did not consistently observed Daylight Savings Time. In fact, according to this book, St. Louis only observed daylight savings time from 9/30 - 10/29 in 1961. I am wondering if this is a misprint since all the other years between 1946 and 1965 printed in this book indicate that Daylight Savings Time was observed from late April through either September or October. I've tried to do a preliminary search online and didn't find the information that is specific to the year 1961 (Maybe my search parameters were lacking. I don't know, but getting frustrated).

Anyway, the difference of 1 hour would totally change the planet house placements and make a huge difference in the St. Louis chart that I am trying to interpret. Also significant is that, if CST is used, the ASC is at 25sag29 which is conjunct the Galactic Center within about 1 degree in 1961. If CDT is used, everything changes.

According to this book, Hawaii did not observe daylight savings time at all during 1961. If this is correct, then there is not an issue with Obama's chart.

I know I could probably write the publisher or author for this information, but thought I might get a quicker answer here if anyone else has come across this issue in any of the charts they've done in addition to any tips to help further my studies and increase my knowledge of astrology.

So, to make a long post short, I guess my specific questions are:

Do I use CST or CDT for the St. Louis chart and, if CST, what significance does the ASC conjunct Galactic Center hold. I've not been able to find much on this on the internet.

And secondly, did Hawaii observe daylight savings time in 1961. Since I'm questioning the information regarding St. Louis, thought it might be prudent to confirm the printed info for Hawaii.

Many, many thanks to anyone who can help!

Indigo
Olivia

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. For Obama I have:

4 August 1961
Honolulu, Hawaii,
7:24 PM, Standard Time, +10 hours

The article at Snopes.com after various fiascos, political smears, etc., with a link to a copy of the birth certificate, is here:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

As to the other:

St Louis, Missouri on
4 August 1961
Central Daylight Time, +5 hours

That's according to the ACS calculator in Solar Fire 7. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Olivia on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
yuzuru

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I then came across information that Barack Obama's rectified birth time is 1:06 pm in Hawaii

the birth certificate has been release for some time and we see that Obama´s birth was hours and hours before that.

A time around 1:36 pm was popularized before the release of the Birth certificate, so a lot of astrologers "rectified" it to several times. It only speaks about the lack of rectification abilities of astrologers.
Indigo Eyes

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivia wrote:
Okay. For Obama I have:

4 August 1961
Honolulu, Hawaii,
7:24 PM, Standard Time, +10 hours

The article at Snopes.com after various fiascos, political smears, etc., with a link to a copy of the birth certificate, is here:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp

As to the other:

St Louis, Missouri on
4 August 1961
Central Daylight Time, +5 hours

That's according to the ACS calculator in Solar Fire 7. Hope it helps.

Very Happy
Thank you very much Olivia. I guess I still should go ahead and let the author know that there is a misprint in her book.

Indigo
Olivia

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Doris is no longer with us. But you might want to let the publisher know, yes.

Keeping up with time changes is an absolute horror. I tend to rely on good software because that does get updated pretty frequently. The nature of books being what they are, that's not possible until another whole edition comes out. But check the publishers web page - they may have an updated errata list.
Indigo Eyes

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuzuru wrote:
Quote:
I then came across information that Barack Obama's rectified birth time is 1:06 pm in Hawaii

the birth certificate has been release for some time and we see that Obama´s birth was hours and hours before that.

A time around 1:36 pm was popularized before the release of the Birth certificate, so a lot of astrologers "rectified" it to several times. It only speaks about the lack of rectification abilities of astrologers.

Smile
Thank you Yuzuru. Now I will need to find another individual who has a birth time equivalent to 4:09 pm, St. Louis on 4 Aug 1961 for whom there is sufficient information with regard to experiences and personality in order to do my comparison study. Know of any?

Indigo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: