Signification

Hi everybody

I noticed in a previous post, that Deb made the following comment:

".....if you have two cats that have fallen ill then you need to separate the signification".

In the example of the mother and father, that's quite clear, as each has their own house, but in the case of cats/dogs, they are all represented by the same house, so how do you distinguish between them?

Another example would be if you have, say, two houses, one in the city and a holiday home in the country. Your city home, where you normally reside, would be represented by the 4th house, but which house would represent the holiday home? The 4th from the 4th?

Regards
Ida

Good point. I didn?t realise I?d given such a bad example.

In the case of deciding whether to stay in one home or move to another, Lilly gives the 4th to the current home and the 7th house to the potential new home. But I don?t think he?s doing this to use the 4th from the 4th, but because he uses the 4th for the current home and the 7th for the proposed new destination. His examples are less about ?shall I move from this house to another house in the same area?? as ?shall I move from this area and make a new home elsewhere?? In his travel charts he often uses the 7th house to show the destination of a journey.

I don?t think there is any traditional precedent for using the 4th from the 4th to represent an alternative home that you already own. The same goes for similar situations ? for example where people use the 3rd from the 3rd to show an alternative car. If there is a need to separate signification over two similar items, then logic has to be applied to the particular circumstances and the chart has to be validated through its ability to describe the options appropriately. For example, in your example, I would be more tempted to use the 4th house for the home where you normally reside and use the 9th house to represent a holiday home (or something that makes sense, like a planet placed in the 4th that rules the 9th). For two cats I might consider that they are brothers and give the 6th house to one and the 3rd from the 6th to its sibling. Nearly all questions are primarily focused on one particular issue and you have to find a way to make that issue the heart of the chart.

Lilly gave some advice on how to judge the condition of several named persons, which was basically to ask the querent to list their names in order and then use the Moon?s first application to represent the first name, its second application for the second name, etc. (See http://www.skyscript.co.uk/shiplilly.html (CA., p.430))

It?s not a great technique, just an example of how he developed his own techniques for separating chart symbolism when judging upon various independent parties.

Thanks Deb - it seems that we should keep it as simple as possible and not complicate matters by trying to turn the chart unnecessarily.

Would my reasoning then be correct regarding the following - if you have two dogs and only one is sick, and the question is "will my dog get better?", then the 6th house would represent the sick dog, as you are not asking about the healthy one. Possibly similarly regarding property - if the question is "should I sell my holiday home", then perhaps you should still use the 4th for the holiday home, as it is your "home", and as the question is not about the city home, the answer can only refer to the holiday home?? If so, then one only needs to make a distinction between the two properties in a case where the question includes both properties.

Regards
Ida

Exactly. Everything in the chart has relevance to whatever you are asking about. So by defining your question as clearly as you can, you make the chart simpler and more structured. Most horaries need a firm structure in terms of knowing what you are looking for, and a relaxed and creative approach that allows you to look at the symbolism until it makes sense. Sometimes it?s like looking at one of those ?magic eye? pictures ? you don?t see anything at all until suddenly you see it and everything becomes very clear.