Just use the real one, Mark. I'd say by whole signs, neither planet is in its joy. The basic idea from the Hellenistic works is that a planet in its joy gets to act as if it is 'fit for business', basically it behaves if it were angular, so if happens to be in a cadent sign, this can be mostly ignored.
Hi GR,

Sorry for the delay replying. I should have fessed up earlier that I started using whole sign houses some time ago so the choice was one I was offering others not myself. :D

I know this will appear a bit provocative to some but I take the view that as the entire notion of 'joys' was developed using whole sign houses the later application of the idea to quadrant houses is a complete misuse of the original basis of the concept.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Re: For those of you who have a Planet in the House of its J

I only have one: the sun in 9th house. My natal plant, sun in Scorpio in 9th conjuct with uranus and close to MC, so I have to accept lots of unexpected chance to my life. And I agree that these chance give me some joy, also some bad feelings. I have find lots joy for My venus in Libra~

I have a good friend who is the mercury in 1st house. I thoutht she is a kind hearted person, but she is always expressing her mind with strong feelings. Sometimes it will hurt other people, cos she is too sensitive, and over emotional...

maybe these place for people can find joy in my opinion

1. moon in Libra, or in 5th house. A good place we could communicate with, and these people has a lot of funny ideas and thoughts, and they
are likely to share their joy with friends.

2. venus in Libra~~ a good teacher for beauty things. delicious food, fashions, or any other informations related to entertainment, and so on.

3. good aspect between moon and venus, maybe trine is better I guess.

4. And also Jupiter in Leo.

Thanks~~

I have a 9th house Sun in Leo. The Sun rules my midheaven, and he is also widely opposed by my 3rd house, retrograde, Aquarius Saturn. This is using Placidus houses.

I really like being in school. I feel most myself when I am taking some type of class, especially if I am working toward a degree. However, I have also had struggles and disappointments with my education. I have two advanced degrees; there was a third advanced degree which I began but did not finish for various reasons. So, while I am naturally attracted to 9th house activities, Saturn has put a damper on things, too. I guess that having the Sun in his joy isn't enough to overcome other issues in the chart.

My ex-husband had Mercury in the first house. Communication was definitely very important to him, but I would not say that he was especially good at it. He often told me that he really valued open communication in relationships. However, he had a tendency to interrupt me all the time, usually while insisting that I was talking too much and I needed to give him more time to talk.

Based on these two experiences, I would say that a planet in its joy really really "enjoys" expressing itself through the operations of the house--perhaps even feels compelled to do so--but it is not necessarily "better" or stronger than it would be anywhere else in the chart.

Based on these two experiences, I would say that a planet in its joy really really "enjoys" expressing itself through the operations of the house--perhaps even feels compelled to do so--but it is not necessarily "better" or stronger than it would be anywhere else in the chart.
Good point. This is the conclusion that I am coming to as I read these posts. The whole thread has been very insightful. Thanks folks.
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/