will i get the scholarship?

Hello everyone,

I have applied to do a PhD but I am dependent on funding in order to be able to do it. It is my ambition to continue to doctoral study but last year I didnt get funding, so am really hoping I am successful this time round. Would this be a 9th house issue? And does the 2nd house come into play? I'm not quite sure so any advice would be appreciated.

The chart was drawn for 17.30, March 19th, Bangor, N. Ireland, UK.

My initial analysis of the chart is as follows. Virgo rising, so I am Mercury, which symbolizes the scholarly connection, but unfortunately it is at 1deg of Pisces so in detriment AND in the 6th house of hard work, which shows how much effort I've been putting in.

I shall initially take the 9th house of learning to represent the scholarship, which is in the chart ruled by Venus, which is located in its own sign of Taurus in the 8th. A good start, but I am not sure what to make of the 8th... either the pursuit of in depth academic research, or could it indicate the grant from the funding council, being the house of joint resources??

Plus Venus sextiles my sig, Mercury, a strong sign. Also, if we do need the 2nd, it is also ruled by Venus, in its rulership.

Moon in Aries in 7th. As Moon cosignifies the 7th, it could represent a good working relationship perhaps with my tutors/ favourable reception from funding body? Next aspect of the Moon seems to be a sextile to Mars, which is in the 5th.. but I could be wrong, and am not quite sure what this would signify anyway. Maybe also worth looking at the 10th as academia is what I wish to do as my career, and here it is ruled by Mercury, showing all that hard work in the 6th.

All in all I think it looks like the scholarship will come through, but that it will maybe need a lot of hard work. Any feedback/criticism would be much appreciated as this really IS my ambition!

Many thanks
Minnie

Hi,

I haven't put up your chart but from your description I agree with Virgolass, I think your chances of funding for your doctorate are good.

The 9House I take as your degree and your research, your educational pursuits. I take Venus in the 8House in so much dignity as a good sign that you may get your much needed funding, especially if the Moon and Venus are in a semi-sextile. This is a second house aspect according to Tony Louis, a money aspect. However, Mercury your significator and Venus are separating. It may be that you already have been awarded the money but don't quite know it yet? Haven't received the letter yet? Look to the 12House ruler, which I think will be the Sun. With Saturn there, he may represent a delay of some sort especially if he's making an aspect to the Moon.

The Moon is peregrine in Aries in the 7House, she may represent an advisor or she may represent your competition for the money, since Mars her ruler is not I suspect very strong in dignity at the moment.

Mercury in the 6House shows you working hard but having little ability to influence the outcome of your question. Venus receives you so strongly and gives you some strength, that's gotta be a good thing. But I worry about the separating aspect between Mercury and Venus.

Is there collection or translation? Is the MC and it's ruler involved? What about the the Moon and Jupiter, natural ruler of education...

If the thing desired has the same planetary ruler as the ASC, the Moon, as co-ruler signifying the querent, rises to the fore. The Moon is the flow of events, she always has some part to play in any case. Some astrologers use the almuten of the ASC.

I get 18.59 Virgo rising ? is that what you have? Using Regiomontanus cusps Venus is 4 degrees from the 9th cusp, so according to the chart I am looking at it is 9th house not 8th house.

I get Virgo 19.00 - and indeed, with Regiomantus houses Venus IS on the cusp of the 9th. I had been using the default option of Placidus cusps - so this makes a big difference.

So the significator of education/learning is in its own house AND it's own sign. This certainly bodes well for study, but I'm not sure how I can tell if a scholarship itself is signified. I have just been offered a definite place or study but still waiting to hear the funding decision.

Any ideas on sigificance of Moon and Sun in 7th? Rivalry for funding perhaps??

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread trying to pick up hints on my own scholarship chart. I asked the question "Will I get the scholarship?" way back in January, and thought the chart looked very unpromising. However I found out recently that I have in fact got it. This surprised me as the chart had looked so negative. However perhaps I was too stressed about it to see things clearly. I asked the question before I'd even applied, so this is early on in the situation. Perhaps the chart was "not ripe" and so I couldn't read it clearly. Data: Will I get the scholarship? 22:50 02/01/07 Penrith, UK 002w44 54n50

24 Virgo rises. Interesting both our charts have Virgo, a suitable sign to show scholarly pursuits!

Mercury at 9 Capricorn, applying immediately to conj Sun. Perhaps this shows me "unable to see the wood for the trees" in reading this chart.

I'm not 100% comfortable using the 8th for the scholarship funds. It is not from "any old person", it is from the university I'm going to, which is the 9th house. So the funds of the university would be the 2nd from the 9th, which is the 10th. In this case the placement of the Moon at 4 Cancer in the 10th house makes perfect sense. I think this is testimony that this is the correct house to use. Alternately it could show my preoccupation with the prestige associated with winning the scholarship.

Both Lord 1 and 10 are Mercury, so I'll give precedent to the quesited. Therefore I'll use the Moon to show me and Mercury to show the scholarship. We see an applying opposition. Moon at 4 Cancer applies to oppose Mercury at 9 Capricorn. I thought this was unpromising because there is no major positive reception between the two planets. Also due to the nature of the opposition, it shows things coming together with an amount of effort disproportionate to the gains. Ie it'll take a lot of effort to achieve not much, and/or I will regret it. Especially given the weak state of Lord 10, and the negative reception towards the Moon (Mercury in detriment of the Moon).

So I judged that I would not get it. However, I have, which makes me a little nervous and I wonder if perhaps I will live to regret it! There are conditions attached to the scholarship relating to my activities and academic performance, so I will be under much more pressure with my studies than I would be had I not won this funding. Perhaps this explains the opposition? In retrospect I think I should have paid more attention to the essential strength of the Moon, indicating I am a strong candidate. However the negative reception and opposition still bother me. This is one of those charts where I am very surprised by the actual result as it is so different from my initial judgement.

However, the situation could be shown elsewhere in the chart? Minnie, which house did you decide to use in the end? How does it pan out if you use the 10th as I did? Is your funding coming from the university, or from a private sponsor?

Keren

Just to let you know: I just found out I've got a full scholarship, so I guess the chart was a positive one after all!! I'm so thrilled.Thanks to everyone for their input and best wishes!
Minnie