Mithra6 wrote:
Saturn - Judaism
Jupiter - It says monotheism, but I think it implies Christianity here.
Mars - Heretics
Sun - Foreign religions and the worship of planetary spirits
Venus - The Saracen (Islam)
Mercury - Forbidden religions
Moon - Worship of idols
I have no time to check Picatrix, but Albumasar in the "On the Great Conjunctions" says Venus for Muslims and Mercury for Christians.
The same the christian version of Roger Bacon.

Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Hello,
Mithra6 wrote:I think Mercury is "forbidden religions" due to its associations with astrology.
In my opinion because Picatrix was strongly influenced by Albumasar.
And Albumasar gives Mercury to Christian religion, but he was not a Christian so he says that it is because "fuerit occultatio et gravitas et labor", occultation, heaviness and misfortune.

But Bacon replies that the Venusian law of Saracens is pleasure loving and lascivious...

Margherita
Traditional astrology at

I am positive this subject has been discussed in considerable depth about a year or two ago on Skyscript but I cant find the thread anywhere.
Very frustrating. :-?
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

MarkC wrote:I am positive this subject has been discussed in considerable depth about a year or two ago on Skyscript but I cant find the thread anywhere.
Very frustrating. :-?
I remember because I took part in it! I don't think it was that far back though.

The whole problem with the religion significators is that people start using preconceived notions of what they think religions are and try to apply them to planets. Many westerners see Buddhism and Hinduism as the height of enlightened learning and Islam and Christianity as the least enlightened. Thus to say Venus signifies Islam seems wrong according to that sensibility. Why would Islam be ruled by Venus? They hate women! har har har.

Sometimes you just have to detach yourself from your opinions.

Mithra6 wrote:Thus to say Venus signifies Islam seems wrong according to that sensibility. Why would Islam be ruled by Venus? They hate women! har har har.

I don't want to enter into a religious debate, and moreover we were talking about a famous and quoted text of traditional astrology.

I'm not a Muslim (I'm a catholic by education) but I don't believe Muslims hate women. It's their way to protect them from life, whatever we like or not.

In Italy we have plenty of strangers of very different nationalities and I never saw a Muslim man who sends his wife to work, he prefers to work all day without any help.

On the other hand, I see many people from other areas of the world who send their women to work and they prefer to stay at home.

So I'm not sure the first one hates his wife more than the second...

Margherita
Traditional astrology at

I think this thread is skating a bit close to the edge personally. :shock:

Also doesn't the topic of planetary significators for world religions really belong on the Mundane part of the forum?
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi Eddy,
Is there an English version of Picatrix?
Yes Ouroboros Press published the first English translation available in two volumes, Ouroborous Press (2002 Vol. 1 and (2008 Vol. 2). However, these were in very limited editions and the first volume is already very rare and reaching fantastic prices in the second hand book market. There have been a few criticisms of the accuracy of the editions too.

The good news is that John Michael Greer and Christopher Warnock are bringing out an entire new English edition next year. Books I & II ( out of a total of 4) are already on sale. If the subject of astrological magic and Talismans interests you its definitely a must have book.

Check the bottom of the page of this link for details:
http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/picatrix.html

Here is a review of the new edition by Nina Gryphon.
http://gryphonastrology.com/blog/2008/1 ... d-warnock/

The Greer/Warnock translation is light years better than the Ourobourous one. It's partial, but you'll get a far better sense of the actual Picatrix from it, and the PDF version is not prohibitively priced.

Gjiada wrote:
Mithra6 wrote:Thus to say Venus signifies Islam seems wrong according to that sensibility. Why would Islam be ruled by Venus? They hate women! har har har.

I don't want to enter into a religious debate, and moreover we were talking about a famous and quoted text of traditional astrology.

I'm not a Muslim (I'm a catholic by education) but I don't believe Muslims hate women. It's their way to protect them from life, whatever we like or not.
Please don't get me wrong. I was being sarcastic! I just see comments like that when the whole significator in religions gets brought up. I've seen Islam singled out quite a bit when it's mentioned Venus is Islam's significator. People forget Islam's history and rich tradition. Some people can only think of Bin Laden.
Last edited by epurdue on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkC wrote:I think this thread is skating a bit close to the edge personally. :shock:

Also doesn't the topic of planetary significators for world religions really belong on the Mundane part of the forum?
Probably.

I probably shouldn't have been sarcastic. I forget sarcasm doesn't come across in forums sometimes. I just get a little tired of people generalizing what a religion is "supposed" to be based on what the news is currently saying. We saw that earlier in some comments about Islam.

We have all the traditional lists, and I personally don't have a problem with them.