The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labalance

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

Would you send a letter now during Mercury retrograde? Or would you wait till the planet went direct? Personal experience is that the mis-communications happen on the day of the planet changing direction, but I'm wondering what the rest of you think?
carriere.francois

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

Labalance wrote:
Would you send a letter now during Mercury retrograde? Or would you wait till the planet went direct? Personal experience is that the mis-communications happen on the day of the planet changing direction, but I'm wondering what the rest of you think?
Hello,

Actually, when planets are stationary on transit, it is the time when they are most effective. They are apparently less effective in other times, unless they repeat other configuration (such as solar return and directions)...

About letters? I bet you will still receive your invoices in time! Tongue Out
johannes susato

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

carriere.francois wrote:

Actually, when planets are stationary on transit, it is the time when they are most effective. They are apparently less effective in other times, . . .

Your experience is very interesting for me, because it contradicts clearly the opinion of William Lilly. To my regret I can't give a quotation at the moment, but to the best of my recollection he compares the stations of a planet with a sick man. The first station is like the beginning of an illness, the person feeling weak and decrepit, and as the person is forced to lie down, to behave un-normal, so the planet begins to move retrograde. The second station is the end of the retrogradation, and as the planet will move direct again, so will the sick person leave the bed, but will feel very weak at this moment, and Lilly says, possibly even weaker than at the beginning of his illness (at the 1. station) because of the suffered ailments.

In my own experience the retrogradation is 'problematic' in one way or the other. As yet I did not find a very sharp difference between retrogradation and station.

As to writing letters I would try to avoid a Mercury in retrogradation if the letter is of importance.

Contracts and agreements made under a retrograde Mercury are always problematic in one way or the other. Either they are not perfected at all, or they are defective not representing the real will of the parties, or because of want of a necessary but overlooked settlement, or they are cancelled earlier than normal. So far my experience.

Johannes
Olivia

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those were Ibn Ezra's aphorisms, but Lilly probably said them, too, lots of people did.

Still, if you're sending a cheque or other vital documents, I might hold off. Invoices do seem to arrive timely, but Murphy's law prevails there.
yuzuru

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time that there is a mercury retrograde, astrologers go out of every corner and under every stone to see important signs:

- oh, skyscript forum is broken, it must be mercury Rx
etc

But I have asked astrologers who work with communication, books, commerce, etc, and none really perceive any real problem. Mail delivery keeps working, and so credit cards, etc.

It is too easy to see any particular event and attribute it to any astrological configuration of convenienece. That is the reason that we have so many people who claim to do great rectifications, and too few that do excellent predictions.

My point is that, for electional work, reality keeps working, besides what astrologers may think reality should do. Planes dont crash, trains keep going, mails too.

If you want to send a very important mail, like a grant proposal, it may be of importance to you to send it in an elected time, but as I said, reality keeps working: the chances of your proposal being accepted will still depend on its quality, and on the quality of others proposals.

For other things, like an email, or a "thank you" note, just send it in any time you feel more convenient!

And for other things, like returning a phone call to a client, waiting for a "convenient time" is extremely inconvenient! If you wait two days untill the moon changes sign, you will most likely loose your client.

So, combine art with discretion Wink
aglaya

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Yuzuru. I've been reading some of theDeb's articles where she mentiones time elections and the possibility of "changing" things in such way (and a lovely approach to the matter which i share) and I' think it is important not to expect everything from the stars! What's the point in looking at transits before making a pohone call to to the boss who had already fired you the day before- even with the best choice of the time- the job is lost! I've actually done a similar thing lately when i started getting the feeling that things with the job that I'd been promissed might go wrong- i waited for the Moon to leave the Burned way. Well, when it did, I phoned them and I got the bad news! Smile)) And the decision had been brought even before the Moon VOC! Plus, I didn't even notice that i should've been informed about the outcome before the Moon entered the Burned way, anyway (they decided they'd avoid me:)))) ). If I were any smarter, i would've noticed that their call was late (check the dates, girl, not the transits. If they had promised to call you before the end of March, what were you doing blaming it all on the Moon at the end of April Smile))) ) and I might have found out myself what was going on even before the Moon went into the Scorpio . For my own sake!
Well, i guess we all do that sometimes!

As for the letters, there's a topic in the Horary section I opened the other day (called "Missing letter") about the envelope with a valuable stamp enclosed that the Querent thinks is by now probably lost so you might want to see what the chart looks like. The sender didn't really have much options as her envelope has had to be sent before the 10th of May (tho the sooner the better as the receiver is half way across the Globe), I in fact did advise her to do that before the Mercury turns retrograde and so she mailed it on 27. April. Still, the envelope is missing (it's been over 4 weeks now).
margherita

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

johannes susato wrote:
carriere.francois wrote:

Actually, when planets are stationary on transit, it is the time when they are most effective. They are apparently less effective in other times, . . .

Your experience is very interesting for me, because it contradicts clearly the opinion of William Lilly. To my regret I can't give a quotation at the moment, but to the best of my recollection he compares the stations of a planet with a sick man.

Johannes

This is a quote.
Olimpiodorus c.12 (comment to Paulus Alexandrinus)

"well, all stationary stars are wicked, both when they do the first station and the second. But Mars, when in its station applying to the Sun with a trine or with a square is very pernicious: and when it is like that either kills the father or destroys father's fortune or damages the geniture. "

Margherita
Eddy

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

Gjiada wrote:
This is a quote.
Olimpiodorus c.12 (comment to Paulus Alexandrinus)

"well, all stationary stars are wicked, both when they do the first station and the second. But Mars, when in its station applying to the Sun with a trine or with a square is very pernicious: and when it is like that either kills the father or destroys father's fortune or damages the geniture. "
I can't say about the second part but in the first cases i notice that transiting planets at their stations are very strong. As I try to consider natural 'causes' I think this is because our mind ('perceiving' the transit) is somewhat 'fooled' and 'believes' for a while this planet will stay there for ever. In cases of Saturn or Mars this period could be felt as difficult.

yuzuru wrote:
Every time that there is a mercury retrograde, astrologers go out of every corner and under every stone to see important signs:

- oh, skyscript forum is broken, it must be mercury Rx
etc (........)
While I fully agree with Yuzuru's remark here, the question that rises is when to stop in seeing an astrological sign or just following common sense. Non-believers go to the other extreme side of the spectrum and use this against all kind of astrology. So how is one to determine what's real astrology or simply imagination?
Labalance

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've decided to send the letter tomorrow anyway. It's nothing important but it's being sent to someone I admire and don't know so I was hoping to get a response. We'll see what happens. If you want to see the chart I'm sending it at 3:05 pm in Larkspur CA on May 29. I looked through a bunch of election info and it seems it may be the best time despite the mercury. I've also been told that retrograde times may be better for me since I have so many retrograde planets. We'll see!
margherita

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sending letters during Mercury Retrograde Reply with quote

Eddy wrote:
I can't say about the second part but in the first cases i notice that transiting planets at their stations are very strong. As I try to consider natural 'causes' I think this is because our mind ('perceiving' the transit) is somewhat 'fooled' and 'believes' for a while this planet will stay there for ever. In cases of Saturn or Mars this period could be felt as difficult.

Yes, I agree, planets in their station are quite strong. In my opinion because this is a specific phase to the Sun, and every heliacal phase has its own meaning and its strong effects.

Margherita
aglaya

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labalance wrote:
Well I've decided to send the letter tomorrow anyway. It's nothing important but it's being sent to someone I admire and don't know so I was hoping to get a response. We'll see what happens. If you want to see the chart I'm sending it at 3:05 pm in Larkspur CA on May 29. I looked through a bunch of election info and it seems it may be the best time despite the mercury. I've also been told that retrograde times may be better for me since I have so many retrograde planets. We'll see!

I often send mail (snail mail I mean)!I've sent some in the past 3 weeks - every single envelope has been delivered in time. (After all- what we're doing right now here is a Mercurian activity- we're exchanging informations and thoughts, writing them down (keyboard or pen, same thing) and publishing them on the Internet so that the rest of the users could read them. And it works! The posts are here, the forum goes on! Much less- the story about the powers of Mercury retrograde goes on! Very Happy
My cousin is at university now and he has had 3 important exams in the past 3 weeks- he did well each time. Imagine if all the students would fail their exams during the Mercury stationary/retrograde period. This year would've been a doomed academic year them with Mercury moving backwards in May! Smile

AS Yuzuru pointed out- the trains don't stop, the post offices still work, we still talk, write....
Only, since Mercury rules my Natal Asc- I've been having severe troubles with my voice for the past 2 or so weeks (sudden loss of voice, heavy medications, slow recovery...) but that wouldn't have happened either if there wassn't a promise for it in my Natal chart (not the first time) and in my this year's SR (Mercury in a mute sign, etc.). So, i've been successfully sending snail mail these days only I've been doing it speechless! Very Happy
Nina Gryphon

Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aglaya and others -

I've swung between two extremes on this. I used to be very careful of sending things during Mercury retrograde, then I went through a phase where I ignored it altogether. However, enough unpleasant communication things happened during Mercury rx that I began to pay more attention.

I think I've reached a more balanced approach; if the Mercury rx is going to be passing over an important degree in my chart (a key planet or one of the angles), then I don't send anything irreplaceable. I still send out everyday letters, bill payments, and things that can be easily replaced if necessary.

Best wishes,
Nina

ninagryphon.com
Your questions answered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: