Too much Saturn in my chart?

Dear All,

Ever since I saw my natal chart for the first time, I have been concerned about the very heavy influence of Saturn. Saturn is the dispositor of my Sun, Mercury and Venus. It is in mutual reception and a flowing aspect with my Venus (Saturn in Taurus, Venus in Capricorn) and another flowing aspect with my Sagittarian Moon (Accordingly, I have never felt the spark of that Moon in my life.).

There is also a very tight T-square involving my Mercury square Jupiter and Saturn in opposition. However, what confuses me even more is the house position of Saturn ? the 11th. Since the 11th house is known as ?the house of friends and good fortune?, does that mean that the coming-true of my dreams will be denied to me?

I just wonder what traditional astrologers will have to say about this because modern astrology seems to avoid any harsh verdicts even when they can be more objective. I am not afraid of hearing negative news, so you are welcome to share any observations with me. My question is: What is the overall feel of my chart with regard to Saturn and do you think it is ?too much of a ?good? thing? in my chart?

By the way, I am a university graduate of history and I completed my M. A. back in 1997. I also wrote a thesis on British Prime Minister William Gladstone?s second government in 1880?1885. Very Saturnine, no? I love history. My second degree was in English Philology.

For anyone who doesn?t mind looking at my chart and cares to share with me, my birth data is:

6 January 1970, 16:15
Sofia, Bulgaria

Best regards,

Yuliana Angelova

Hi Yuliana,
I'm certainly not an authority on traditional astrology, and this isn't what you were asking about, but whatever's going on in your chart with Saturn, it clearly isn't stopping you from being a good writer and teacher of astrology (over on Astrodienst). In fact, my biggest curiosity about your chart was seeing how those talents might be shown, and it makes sense to me that you have the 2 rulers of your MC (career), Jupiter (teacher) and Neptune (imagination) in your 5th (entertaining), and that Jupiter and Saturn are in that tight T-square with Mercury (writing). Also, your Moon in Sag' (teacher again) probably has a lot to do with that whole picture.

My other feeling is that your SN in Virgo might be a little too overactive and self-critical, along with Saturn too, but of course that's just my humble opinion and, again, not really what you were asking about. Which brings me to my other curiosity, if you don't mind my asking, i.e., what would be the "coming-true of your dreams" for you? It just seems to me you have so much going for you (not to mention all your accomplishments/college degrees)!

Best wishes,
Carol

Re: Too much Saturn in my chart?

juliana_angelova wrote:For anyone who doesn?t mind looking at my chart and cares to share with me, my birth data is:

6 January 1970, 16:15
Sofia, Bulgaria
I don't relate to anyone having "too much" of anything in their birth chart since it's the blueprint for their life and no one is born with the wrong amount of potential...

Just as an experiment, meditate of the Sabian Symbol of your birth Saturn:

"A beautiful expanse shows natural steps leading upward to a lawn of clover in full bloom."
~ Alex from Astrological Repair Manual

Yuliana, we are somewhat acquainted from the Astrodienst forum. Although I cannot speak to your personal life, I don't think Saturn has damaged your on-line persona an iota! You unfailingly come across as sensitive, knowledgeable, and helpful to people.

The older I get, the less I see Saturn as malefic. Rather, Saturn is the great teacher of personal responsibility. Certainly Saturn can get too strong: it can make people stay in jobs or relationships that they should have left long ago, it can sap people of their self-confidence, and it can lead to depression, clinical or otherwise. But I think far too many people suffer from too little attention to Saturn in their lives: they over-charge their credit cards, imagining that somehow their money "will work out." They ignore health problems. They start at a task but cannot stick to it, and so on.

Recall that Saturn supposedly rewards his best students later in life.

But if you feel you have "too much Saturn," then what quality do you find insufficient in your life? If you can put a planet's, sign's, or house's name on this quality, hopefully you can find ways to strengthen it. For example, if you need more of a sense of light-hearted fun in your life, surely you can find ways to to add more "play" to your life (perhaps via your 5th house or Leo house.)

You mention not feeling your Sag moon very much. Well, surely higher education relates to this sign. Perhaps living abroad, traveling, taking up an outdoor sport such as horseback riding or archery will help feel this different dimension of your persona.

Thank You All!

Thank you all for your interest in my question. I did not respond immediately because I didn?t get any notifications, so it was a matter of chance that I noticed your replies.

Carol,

Thank you very much for your answer and for the kind words. I didn?t know that both of us were forum members of Astrodienst. You are right about the Virgo South Node and its effects on me but apart from being ?a little too over-active and self-critical?, I also tend to over-analyze everything. Regarding the coming-true of my dreams, my question was more general than you would think ? recently I downloaded some classic works on traditional astrology from the Internet and read so much about Saturn as a malefic denying any happiness that I may have had an overdose it. Having Saturn in the 11th house of hopes and dreams made me wonder if it would deny me anything in this area of life ? hence my question.

Alex,

Thank you for the Sabian symbol for my birth Saturn. It sounds very uplifting.

Waybread,

Yes, we are old acquaintances. What?s more, I do remember your interpretation of my chart, which was very accurate from the modern-astrology point of view and for which I?m very grateful, indeed. Regarding your question about what quality I find insufficient in my life, the answer is: I have always had vitality that feels much lower than it should and I have been far too serious than is required ? it is in this sense that I see Saturn as ?too much of a good thing? in my life. Recently, however, this seems to have improved with the opportunity to make contributions to the Astrodienst forum as they seem to feed my 3rd-house cusp in Leo.

Thank you once again for your time and encouragement.

Yuliana

The modern (late 20th century) way of looking at Saturn in the 11th is perhaps worth reflecting on for someone who visits astrology forums:

Fear of the group taking over your life
Fear of being excluded from the group.
Fear of being scapegoated in the group.
Fear of not fitting into the group.

I don't need friends - a 'defence'. Somewhat paradoxically this can dispose someone to overcompensate and avoid spending time alone. Although the person may dislike the superficial aspects of a 'group' they are in, s/he may be inclined to subdue their individuality. Another factor is the way Saturn here can lead to a degree of social ineptness and the tendency to be to self-conscious.

The challenge is for the person to find a way(s) to commit themselves to a 'group' and participate in a more 'real' way.

I've heard some people argue that this placement leads to an urge to take over groups but I?m undecided about this, feeling it lacks a bit of coherence. But perhaps a survey of dictators might help here? Placidus of course we need to keep it serious.............. :-T

Saturn?s a hard lump of rock wherever it falls.