Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Strong position to start my own business?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taurus7

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Strong position to start my own business? Reply with quote

I have been considering starting my own business for some time now. There are two directions that I can take: a flower business; or something along the lines of cookie/or baked goods mail-order. These are my two passions, flower arrangement and cooking. Hence the question:

“Am I in a strong position to be self-employed. If yes, which area would be best?”

Question asked May 11, 2009, 6:18 PM, Kinnelon, New Jersey, 1 deg 29 minutes Scorpio rising.

The early ascendant seems to indicate to me that the question is still in its infancy – which it is, since I am just getting a feel for things out there. I believe the chart is still fit to be judged, since it is a Mars hour, and Scorpio is on the ascendant.

The way I see it, a strong ascendant would indicate that I am in a position to start my own business. Favorable aspects and/or reception to or from planets ruling the 5th or Venus (ruler of flowers) to the ascendant would indicate success in the flower business. Favorable aspects to or from the 2nd would indicate success in the cookie business. Strong aspects from the 10th may indicate that I should stay in the job that I have right now. Practically speaking, I would stay in the job and start the business on the side until it is generating enough money or shows potential to meet my current life style.

I am Mars, strong in my own sign, but in the 6th; which could indicate the state that I feel in right now – monotonous work, and wanting to break away and do my own thing. The Scorpio ascendant slips into the 2nd, not sure what that means.

Moon is positioned in the 2nd. Interestingly, both the Moon and Mars are coming to a sextile to Jupiter, ruler of the 5th and the greater benefic. Jupiter, however, is conjunct Neptune, but this could indicate artistry in my profession. One could go further and say that the Moon is translating the light from Mars and coming to a sextile to Jupiter. Jupiter also rules the 3rd, not sure how this ties in.

I think Venus also conjuncts Mars, although Venus is very slow and Mars may slip away – not sure, I haven't animated the chart. Venus rules the 7th and the 12th, so not sure if this is a good thing.

The ruler of the 2nd house is also strong, so this could be indicating success in the cookie arena? Or strong finances?

The Sun, although not in aspect to Mars or the Moon, receives Mars into its exaltation and triplicity, indicating perhaps that my current employer receives me well.

All in all, I think the chart is saying that yes, I am in a position to go self-employed; but I'm not exactly sure as to what area it is directing me to.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

* Taurus7 *
bkhardeep

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the time when i judged your chart, moon is in dual sign on 13-5-2009 at 18-59 , in Manchester

As per niryana system moon is in saggitarious , a dual sign, indicates duality of your mind.

moon is lord of 10th house in 3 indicates many clients, means good turn over.

you will get more from flowers.

i am looking for discussion of other members and try to learn wetern system technique, but due to helping attitude i reply you to answer your querry. go ahead, goodluck.

hs nagi
Taurus7

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. How did you judge I would get more from flowers?
bkhardeep

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the time of judgement moon was in star of venus, a planet of beauty(related to flowers) in 5th house( a house of love and romance)

ok
Pete

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at the time when i judged your chart, moon is in dual sign on 13-5-2009 at 18-59 , in Manchester

As per niryana system moon is in saggitarious , a dual sign, indicates duality of your mind.

moon is lord of 10th house in 3 indicates many clients, means good turn over.

you will get more from flowers.

Hi,
it seems from what I can gather here that you have erected this chart from the time and place that you read the question on the forum. This could prove misleading as Taurus 7 asked the question two days earlier on May 11th at 6.18pm EDT in Kinnelon, New Jersey. It is THIS chart that we should study and on which she is seeking guidance.

Cheers,
Pete
Carol

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Taurus7,

Sorry to put a damper on things, but I don't think it's the time right now for you to start any business. It's too early (early Asc. degree), and it seems it would be a basic drain. (SN on the MC/business).

It appears you'd be your greatest asset, willing to work hard and give it your all (Asc./Mars in dignity in the 6th), but there are just no aspects at all between either of your significators (Mars, Moon) and the proposed business (10th/Sun).

It's true there are positive connections between both your significators and Jupiter/5th/flowers, but I tend to think that just shows your enjoyment of them rather than a positive connection to a business (Jup. Sq. Sun) There's also no connection between the cookie-making (Sat./4th IMHO) and a possible business (Sun) or you (Moon/Mars).

The most optimistic indicator IMHO is that Venus (flowers) makes a future conjunction with Mars in the 6th of daily work, so maybe working with flowers would be a future possibility, but my guess is it would probably under someone else (being in the 6th) rather than in the setting of your own business.

Again, sorry to sound so pessimistic Sad , but of course I could be completely wrong.
Taurus7

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,
Your humble opinion is very valuable! Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Again, sorry to sound so pessimistic Sad , but of course I could be completely wrong.

On the other hand, you could be right. The south node did concern me, but in typical wishful thinking fashion, I decided to ignore it...

I see you took a different take on the horary, i.e. equating the 10th to the proposed business. I took the 10th to signify my current job.

Now if we take your approach, the Sun, ruler of the 10th, receives Mars (me) into its exaltation, triplicity and face, which isn't bad. So the proposed business does seem to be welcoming me with open arms, don't you think?

But yes, you are right, there are no aspects to the Sun from the Moon or Mars, so seems like there will be no opportunity to make it happen. But then again, the question was "Am I in a strong position to start the business?". So if the horary answers the question and the question alone, and Mars is strong in its own sign - albeit in the 6th - and the 10th is welcoming it quite wholeheartedly, could this "No" be somehow converted into a "Yes"? Of course, this could all be wishful thinking on my part again...

Both the Moon and Mars are coming to a sextile with Jupiter, ruler of the 5th, so I do find Jupiter to be significant - the question is, what is Jupiter?

You know, I've been studying horary on and off for maybe 5 years now, but I still can't seem to put the pieces together.... Confused
Carol

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now if we take your approach, the Sun, ruler of the 10th, receives Mars (me) into its exaltation, triplicity and face, which isn't bad. So the proposed business does seem to be welcoming me with open arms, don't you think?

That's a good point. I usually don't pay much much attention to receptions because in my experience (relatively limited, I admit) it hasn't seemed to have mattered much if the significators aren't in aspect. However, in this case with Sun doing multiple receptions and on an angle, as well as Mars in his domicile, I wonder if it might mean it's a possibility in the future.

Quote:
Both the Moon and Mars are coming to a sextile with Jupiter, ruler of the 5th, so I do find Jupiter to be significant - the question is, what is Jupiter?

I was taking Jupiter, ruler of the 5th, to represent the creative art of flower arranging, and its sextiles with both your significators seemed to show your enjoyment and talent (dignified Mars, Jup. strong on an angle) for it, but again, with its Square to the Sun and no connections from your significators to the Sun, it doesn't seem that conditions are quite ready to make it into a business.
yuzuru

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a good point. I usually don't pay much much attention to receptions because in my experience (relatively limited, I admit) it hasn't seemed to have mattered much if the significators aren't in aspect.

I agree. Other thing that I have noticed is that many times the "likings" are not show by position by sign, as Frawley suggest, but by position by house and by aspects.
Gunhilde

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I've just been wondering about: Frawley's use of reception seems to be a bit ...skewed, for want of a better word. I read Frawley's Horary Textbook at the same time I was reading Lilly (big mistake); and of course Frawley's explanation of reception appears to be backwards from what Lilly et al were explaining...so I am VERY confused now about 'which is which'.

If we use this chart, the Sun in Taurus is in the sign of Mars' detriment, and Mars is of course in the sign of the Sun's exaltation, etc. etc.

Frawley, from my understanding, would say here that 'the Sun hates Mars, and Mars loves the Sun'... which is backwards from what my understanding of reception is: that the Sun, as you have noted, receives Mars; and reception is of course expressing a willingness to accept the other planet. It's hardly 'hate', is it? But if we used Frawley's method, we would say that the business is 'not interested' in Mars (by detriment).

*scratches head*

Also, Mars *does* evade Venus here, which makes it interesting, because Mars enters Taurus while Venus is still in Aries, so we have yet another instance of mutual reception, but also evasion, with both planets in detriment!

GH Smile
Saturngirl

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Strong position to start my own business? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Gunhilde!
Yes I agree with your point on Frawley's view of Receptions..it doesn't make sense!Although I haven't read his 'Horary Textbook',I am aware of his interpretations,& have found them confusing & quite frankly senseless. Confused
Thanks again!
Keep smiling!! Leery
Wishes,
Saturngirl. Very Happy

Carol

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturn Girl and Gunhilde, I have his 7-CD "Real Astrology Intensive," and all I can say is AMEN! Confused

And though I probably shouldn't mention this, the thing I found most intriguing about the whole thing was his fascination/obsession with Emmy Lou Harris, lol Laughing
Taurus7

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I usually don't pay much much attention to receptions because in my experience (relatively limited, I admit) it hasn't seemed to have mattered much if the significators aren't in aspect.

Agreed. There has to be an aspect to make it happen.

Quote:
However, in this case with Sun doing multiple receptions and on an angle, as well as Mars in his domicile, I wonder if it might mean it's a possibility in the future

That is encouraging! While continuing to analyze the chart and still trying to make a "Yes" out of this "No" - I really, really want to make this work - maybe not right now, but at least start laying the groundwork for the future - I noticed something that gives another possible positive bent to this chart - collection!

Lilly describes collection as:
Quote:
Matters are also brought to perfection, when as the two principall Significators doe not behold one another, but both cast their severall Aspects to a more weighty Planet then themselves, and they both receive him in some of their essential dignities; then shall that Planet who thus collects both their Lights, bring the thing demanded to perfection: which signifies no more in Art then this, that a Person somewhat interested in both parties and described and signified by that Planet, shall perform, effect and conclude the thing which otherwise could not be perfected: As many times you see two fall at variance, and of themselves cannot think of any way of accommodation, when suddenly a neighbour or friend accidentally reconciles all differences, to the content of both parties: And this is called Collection.

Taking a look at the chart, the Moon and the Sun do not behold each other. However, the Moon is coming to a sextile with Jupiter (the more weighty planet), and then the Sun comes to a square to Jupiter (also more weighty than the Sun), therefore, Jupiter is collecting the light of the Moon and the Sun and bringing them together. Furthermore, (much to my relief) Jupiter receives the Moon into its dignity, and the Sun into its terms, so there is some form of mixed reception between all three planets. There is reception the other way round as well, the Moon receives Jupiter into its face (not very strong, but still better than nothing...), although sadly the Sun is in the detriment of Jupiter.

So now the question is, if this is collection, who is Jupiter? Well, my son at the young age of 17 has dreams and visions truly characteristic of the young at heart, and he has been encouraging me for the past five months to consider starting a business of my own. He is like a sponge that absorbs information (because he wants to start his own business, possibly at the tender age of 19), has done extensive research on this, and has provided me with a list of books to read, excellent advise and other ideas on how to make it succeed. I myself have a tendency to let go of my dreams, but his burning desire to make something more out of life could very well be the driving force that makes me pursue this further. Jupiter just so happens to be the ruler of the 5th!

So what do you think? Is my wishful thinking turning this whole chart inside out? Old habits die hard, I used to try to turn "No" into a "Yes" all the time in the old days when I first started learning horary!!
Smile
Pete

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I noticed something that gives another possible positive bent to this chart - collection!.....
Taking a look at the chart, the Moon and the Sun do not behold each other. However, the Moon is coming to a sextile with Jupiter (the more weighty planet), and then the Sun comes to a square to Jupiter (also more weighty than the Sun), therefore, Jupiter is collecting the light of the Moon and the Sun and bringing them together. Furthermore, (much to my relief) Jupiter receives the Moon into its dignity, and the Sun into its terms, so there is some form of mixed reception between all three planets.
So now the question is, if this is collection, who is Jupiter? Well, my son at the young age of 17 has dreams and visions truly characteristic of the young at heart, and he has been encouraging me for the past five months to consider starting a business of my own. He is like a sponge that absorbs information (because he wants to start his own business, possibly at the tender age of 19), has done extensive research on this, and has provided me with a list of books to read, excellent advise and other ideas on how to make it succeed. I myself have a tendency to let go of my dreams, but his burning desire to make something more out of life could very well be the driving force that makes me pursue this further. Jupiter just so happens to be the ruler of the 5th!

Hi T :-)

I've been studying this horary quietly and although I did see the application of the Sun and Moon to Jupiter I have to admit that I completely missed the fact that this is a solid case of Collection of light, so congratulations for spotting it. You're learning! In my defence I've been struggling with a bad back this past week so I'm putting that down as a valid reason for missing it :-) I do think that Jupiter fits the description of your son in that he (your son) has been promoting and encouraging you to read, study, do your own research etc and the fact that your son resides in your home fits the description of Jupiter as L5 in the 4th. His wisdom, knowledge and enthusiasm, plus his love and respect for you ( receiving, as he does, the Moon into his dignity) just may clear a path for you to connect with your career aspirations. Bear in mind though that the Collection is an *indirect* path to judgement and requires the assistance and cooperation of a third party. The Moon receives Jupiter only by face therefore there is always the danger that you -the Moon - could simply lose interest in his offer of help. Don't let that happen if you want to move forward with this.

Quote:
So what do you think? Is my wishful thinking turning this whole chart inside out? Old habits die hard, I used to try to turn "No" into a "Yes" all the time in the old days when I first started learning horary!!

Really? I have no recollection of that. Lala Happy

Cheers,
Pete
Taurus7

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been studying this horary quietly

Sir Peter...FINALLY.... I get a response from you... what took you so long?

Quote:
In my defence I've been struggling with a bad back this past week

Oh OK....

Carol, in case you're wondering, Sir Peter is the B E S T astrologer in the W H O L E world (after Deb, of course). He has the dubious honor of responding to my desperate pleas for help with a horary in this forum more than anyone else, I think... although, in this particular case, he missed the collection piece!!

......loosing our touch, are we, Sir Peter? (The bad back - that's a really lame excuse, by the way...) Wink

Quote:
and although I did see the application of the Sun and Moon to Jupiter I have to admit that I completely missed the fact that this is a solid case of Collection of light, so congratulations for spotting it. You're learning!

Well, thank you!

Quote:
I do think that Jupiter fits the description of your son in that he (your son) has been promoting and encouraging you to read, study, do your own research etc and the fact that your son resides in your home fits the description of Jupiter as L5 in the 4th.

Hey, I never caught the 4rth house signification. Cool!!

Quote:
His wisdom, knowledge and enthusiasm, plus his love and respect for you ( receiving, as he does, the Moon into his dignity) just may clear a path for you to connect with your career aspirations.

Wow! Honestly, I really want to make this work, I KNOW I can do it (that's me, Mars, strong in its own sign), I just have to carry through with it (Mars trapped in the 6th). I'm so excited...

Quote:
Bear in mind though that the Collection is an *indirect* path to judgement and requires the assistance and cooperation of a third party. The Moon receives Jupiter only by face therefore there is always the danger that you -the Moon - could simply lose interest in his offer of help. Don't let that happen if you want to move forward with this.

You're right - like I said, I sometimes don't follow through with my own dreams, get lazy or just side-tracked. But right now I've never felt a stronger need to make something on my own, and I know he will give me the push that I need to just keep going and make it happen.

Quote:

Quote:
Really? I have no recollection of that.

Well, this is the first time I think that I've turned a "No" into a "Yes" and you haven't dashed my hopes to the ground!!

Oh, I'm so excited, finally a "Yes" horary!! While it's not perfect, perfect, but when was the last time ANY one got a perfect "yes" horary?

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Horary & Electional Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: