Using Lilly's Christian Astrology correctly

Deb wrote:
What's this imagined Gemini 'build'?
It is fairly consistently recorded in traditional literature - see for example CA p.94-5. I agree with Tom that Gemini rising would fit the profile [...]
Hello everyone,

Reading Micheal Jackson's thread, I saw what Deborah had to say on the subject. What striked me then, is the reference to the Horary part of Lilly's CA, for a genethliac use. I always thought I should use each parts separately...

So a question raised in my mind:

For anyone who wish to use Lilly in genethliac astrology, up to what extent do both parts of CA complete one another? For example, can some part of Horary delineation of the second House be of some help in genethliac astrology?
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Hi Fran?ois

Actually that passage is not in Lilly?s second volume, which is dedicated to horary ? it is in the basic introduction to the planets, signs and terms of art that is presented in his first volume ? the introduction to astrology. It is assumed that the student will be familiar with this introductory material before moving onto a more detailed study of horary or nativities.

Also, I didn?t mean to imply that Lilly?s work is the best or only source of this kind of information. It was just easy for me to refer to that as I had the book in front of me at that time. However, those sort of planet and sign descriptions are available in many traditional texts, and the majority are quite consistent in their content and approach.

But in terms of whether the knowledge of horary informs a study of nativities and vice versa, I would say yes. There is a difference in the application of the material, but both branches draw from the same pool of information. Hence some of the techniques, if explained within the horary section, are not explained again in the nativities section of that work.

Regards
deb

On several places in this website I find parts of Lilly's writings on several subjects. Are these all from Christian Astrology or to concretise my question:

Does the downloadable

"Lilly, William - Christian Astrology, Volumes: I, II, III - 1659
A facsimilie reproduction of all three volumes of Christian Astrology, taken from the 1659 2nd edition. Published by Astrologia Medieval. "
to be found over here http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html ,

contain all these writings on different places in the website?

It has all of them as one PDF, Eddy, but it's a photocopy, and a little hard on the eyes for me.

I've got all of them typed (not by me, and with some errors, as Deb pointed out), so if you're trying to find a volume and can't, just PM me with your e-mail and I'll be happy to send it to you.
Last edited by Olivia on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Even I don't know what's all over this website Eddy, but the answer to that is 'probably'. Christian Astrology is the work for which Lilly is best known - in 3 volumes - introduction, horary, nativities.

The facsimile edition you mention is an electronic copy of the 17th century original so not the easiest introduction to his work, but nice if you like the smell of old books :)

Hi Olivia and Deb,

Thanks for the replies. I just printed the 444 pages, causing some problems to the printer in the library :shock: . First I'll try this one. Indeed I like the smell of old books even if it's an electronic copy :) . I'm afraid it will take me ages to read it all through.

Coincidentally I saw there seem to be some copying errors I'm afraid. Page 392 (of the book itself, not of the electronic copy) is followed by p. 400, but then it continues with p. 394 till p. 399 followed by p. 393. and then by p. 401 and then normal again. But it's not really disturbing, the pages are close to eachother and more important they aren't missing.

Edit: Last night I had a closer look at those pages. It seems that the page numbers in the book were wrongly printed because the subject started at p. 392 (the question about a lost dog) is continued on the next page. It simply got the wrong page number so there's even less of a problem.