Re: Medieval Courses

Patricia C Byron wrote: It is, sadly all too easy - especially reading ancient texts no matter how well translated, to misinterpret or misunderstand meanings... and with few around to bounce such ideas off, the input from those who know better is invaluable, and in my case crucial!!
The way I see it, with a course, you are paying for the teacher's experience. Zoller's courses were heavy in quotes from Bonatti. However Zoller deviated at times because he actually worked with the material for years, so he figured out things that didn't work well and emphasized things that did. This is why starting out with just reading something like Bonatti is so much harder.

One thing that many people don't understand is that in order to understand something like medieval astrology, you have to immerse yourself fully into it. In the beginning of all of Chris Warnock's courses he has you read "The Elizabethan World View" by Tillyard to get into that frame of mind. Zoller really pushed the "paradigm shifting" world view heavily too. I think Ben does it with his lectures. Heck even though I took Zoller's course, I might take Ben's too.

I am working on the course that Zoller wrote. I bought it at a discount (I believe New Library still has the sale going on). This course is packed full of information. It is hundreds of pages, dense with information and examples.
I have been studying astrology seriously for over 20 years. My first exposure to Medieval astrology was through my Horary studies; then of course, Project Hindsight came along and I learned from the original sources (thanks to Robert Schmidt's brillliant work).
Robert Zoller's course is amazing. I don't have extra money to spend on anything, but the course is on sale, and you can purchase it in two installments. If you can swing it, do not pass this one up. There is a very reasonably priced Foundation Course, but the Diploma Course is the way to go for the serious student.

Medieval Courses

Thanks for that input Mithra6 and pjef!

I am in awe of the work that Zoller put into researching Bonatti et al, however, I do suspect that I personally need structure to a course. (How often have you heard of someone buying the course and then giving up mid-way?? - Happens all too often!)

I may play it by ear, as if Ben Dykes is going to offer a course shortly it may well suit, but he does acnowledge that it may not involve tutoring...

Many thanks once again.

Kind regards

Hi
I have been doing the Robert Zolle DMA course.It has tons of great information but I have found much of it pretty confusing.I was hesitant to take the exam but thought it would be a good measure of whether I am "getting" it. Apparently not. I have worked really hard on this and I failed pretty miserably.I still feel I have learned much valuable astrology but I do think that for the average student you do need a tutor. I have had many questions and have gone over and over certain lessons to try and get clarity. I am a right -brained , artistic, language -oriented type student and this material is very dry and scholarly.
I have not been impressed with the New Library people who handle this course either. If you order this course you get tons of great information [Robert Zoller's material] but you are completely on your own. Don't be fooled and think you are part of the "predictive academy" because you never hear anything more about that

I don't like that the online reference library has mostly been taken down. I did do the CMA course, and have the Tools and Techniques books, will probably spring for the DMA course when I can afford it, but I do realise it's a do-it-yourself affair unless you're a lot richer than I am.

Fortunately you can ask questions around here.

Does the DMA one have graded homework assignments, or do you simply take an exam at the end of it?

That's kind of a big question. If you ask them, they'll say yes. That being said I don't know of anyone who's failed it. At one time Robert and his wife graded the tests and all the homework. Today neither of them are affiliated with the course. If you ask New Library, they'll act shocked and surprised at your questions. Robert hasn't been involved in about 3 or 4 years. There have been no updates on the site since he left.

The written material is still good though. Since I've graduated and have been doing charts, I've tweaked things here and there. The course is good for getting you used to certain concepts. All of my alterations of technique are still based on traditional sources though. The course made all of that easier.

I just heard Chris Warnock is setting up a traditional natal course and of course Ben Dykes has been talking about it as well. I know he's busy, but if Ben started a course I'd take it even though I've already taken Zoller's.