Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Primary directions book is out, and an erratum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Gansten

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Primary directions book is out, and an erratum Reply with quote

As many have asked, I may perhaps be forgiven for a spot of self-promotion in announcing that *Primary Directions: Astrology's Old Master Technique* is now available from Wessex Astrologer, Amazon, etc.

I should also like to point out a potentially confusing misprint in Appendix I, where (despite countless proof-readings), in the middle paragraph on p. 151, the words 'adding' and 'subtracting' have changed places. The formulae on the page are, however, correct. The error will be corrected in future editions.
Astraea

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, you've written an excellent and much-needed book that is informative on many levels. Amazon shipped my copy last Wednesday and I've been reading and re-reading it since then. It's a pleasure to encounter an astrology book written by someone whose breadth of knowledge is matched by depth - especially where traditional astrology is concerned. Thank you!
margherita

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Primary directions book is out, and an erratum Reply with quote

The book is out!?
I booked it and nobody wrote me Sad
Now I'm running to the editor site, I hope it is a paperback, I read books on the bus
margherita
Astraea

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gjiada, Martin's book seems to have been published separately and earlier in the US - my friend in England still hasn't received his, though he has had it on preorder for some time. Amazon shipped mine on July 15. The book is in paperback. You'll probably be receiving notice of its release soon.
Mark

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a an email late last week from Wessex Astrologer, the publisher in the UK, that the book was ready and would be despatched soon. So I am assuming my copy will arrive any day now.

Its great the book has come out now. I will get a chance to read some of it it before attending Martin's Primary Directions workshop here in the UK in early August! Very Happy

Mark

Epictetus
margherita

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just placed my order, but just because is paperback, I hate heavy books Wink

margherita
Olivia

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-promotion is perfectly acceptable here when you're making the lives of thousands of astrologers easier!

Got a note from Margaret at Wessex that the book is out, and am looking forward. Of course given our postal system it may be another two months, but I'm very eager to read it - and thank you so much for writing it!

For those who don't know, you can get a sample chapter of Martin's book from the front page of skyscript, and he's a very clear writer.

Yay! And wishing you every success with it Smile
Martin Gansten

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Olivia. Very Happy
Ed F

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I ordered it yesterday. Looking forward to it.

- Ed
Minderwiz

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday and I know Wessex Astrologer sent out copies for arrival on previous day.

I'm only up to Chapter 3 but it is just what I was looking for!

Thanks Martin
margherita

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Martin,

Thanks, I had my copy this morning while going to work so i could start reading on the bus Smile

I see you mention Placido's Part of Fortune too, I'm sure that with your book and with Morinus which includes it many are going to use it.

Here, when Giancarlo explained to his students, people were a little shocked. Anyway in CieloeTerra they don't use that formula, they prefer a slight variant from two Placido's students, Brunacci and Onorati.
Maybe they wrote something on it on their site, myself I vote for keeping things easier, I'm a little lazy

I look forward to check examples with Morinus, I'm a Virgo Sun, I did the same with Kolev. Smile

I'm very happy to have your book and I would have the possibility to fly in England, but this is more difficult.
Just think a little about what I told you, Secret

margherita
Martin Gansten

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the book, Margherita. Smile

Quote:
I see you mention Placido's Part of Fortune too, I'm sure that with your book and with Morinus which includes it many are going to use it.

I should perhaps say that I don't use it myself. I'd be delighted to see three or four examples where the PoF (calculated by whatever method!) is obviously useful in directions, particularly as hyleg. That would motivate me to use it more.

Quote:
Here, when Giancarlo explained to his students, people were a little shocked. Anyway in CieloeTerra they don't use that formula, they prefer a slight variant from two Placido's students, Brunacci and Onorati.
Maybe they wrote something on it on their site

I knew of this article (in Italian and English) since before:
http://www.cieloeterra.it/articoli.sorti/sorti.html
http://www.cieloeterra.it/eng/eng.articoli.sorti/eng.sorti.html
Looking around, I also found this, only in Italian as far as I could see:
http://www.cieloeterra.it/articoli.sorteoraria/sorteoraria.html
Perhaps I should just learn the language a little better so that I can read it properly.

Quote:
I look forward to check examples with Morinus, I'm a Virgo Sun, I did the same with Kolev. Smile

By all means do, and let me know if you find any mistakes. They have been checked repeatedly, but I am not infallible!
margherita

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Gansten wrote:

Perhaps I should just learn the language a little better so that I can read it properly.

whatever you cannot understand because of the language you could write me, you know.
And yes CieloeTerra site is very rich, it's pity they don't translate more.

Quote:

By all means do, and let me know if you find any mistakes. They have been checked repeatedly, but I am not infallible!

Well, generally I do again calculations in order to understand better examples, human nature is doomed to mistake, Perfection is just of God, and I'm not in search of perfection.

Now i'm running at home in order to start the book,

margherita
Eddy

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

I should perhaps say that I don't use it myself. I'd be delighted to see three or four examples where the PoF (calculated by whatever method!) is obviously useful in directions, particularly as hyleg. That would motivate me to use it more.

Although I hardly look at the PoF (perhaps I should do it more) the use of the Placidus PoF doesn't attract me because in some cases at high latitudes on Earth the calculation of it is impossible. Even the method described by Wackford won't be of any help. Example: If Sun is on Cusp X and Moon on Cusp XII (Placidus) then the PoF would be considered to be on Cusp III. Since in some cases the Placidus system as used by Wackford doesn't have houses II, III and more (see http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4555 ), there will be no 'place' where the PoF could be situated.

I'm sorry if I mention polar issues time by time. I have no bad intentions with it but I see problems that in my opinion shouldn't be denied. I just saw Mark's new topic appear, so I will place some remarks over there.

Quote:

http://www.cieloeterra.it/articoli.sorti/sorti.html
http://www.cieloeterra.it/eng/eng.articoli.sorti/eng.sorti.html
I saw a very little mistake. Perhaps barely worth mentioning, but since people who want to repeat the calculations might get confused and therefore discouraged to do (pocket calculator) hand calculating..

cielo e terra somewhere in the middle of the article wrote:
Moon 65°16'47" + 21°40'02" 41°27'36" 23°49'00"
The last value (AD/DA) should be 23°49'11" (RA - OA).
Mark

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Martin,

I just wanted to thank you for your new book. I have had it since last week and its been a real pleasure to read.

I have been consciously taking my time reading and re-reading sections to ensure I am grasping your points correctly. Hence i have only made it to Chapter 4.

I love the way the book summarises all the key points at the end of each chapter. Thats very helpful and quite novel in an astrological book. Thumbs up

Sadly, I am not now going to be able to make your workshop in Nottingham for personal reasons. Its a deep regret. I had so much looked forward to being able to hear you on this subject.

I can only hope the UK Astrological Association will have the good sense to invite you over to run a similar one day workshop in future. However, I expect you are likely to be in demand in a lot of places in future. Smile

Epictetus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: