Would the medical saying "the operation was a succes but the patient died" apply to this match?

We saw the start - England took first kick - but then there was a lot of trouble in this area and we got called out on a local community 'emergency', so all of us missed the rest of the game. I won't go into details but it was football related, involved brick-throwing, and we've been dealing with the police and local councillors all night because our back window got smashed. The police are overwhelmed with trouble in this area - it all started soon after the match started but got much worse after England lost, and is apparently is now (2:00am) getting very out of hand.

I know that the match was so close that it went into a second round of penalties, but that's all I know. I'd really appreciate any feedback on how the game responded to the symbolism in the chart (or not). I was a bit concerned when I saw England take the first kick and realised Portugal was playing in red (Moon sextile Mars). I don't even know what the score was.

I've been wondering who took the first kick. So that would mean, by using Bonatti's method, we would give Jupiter to England and Mercury to Portugal. At least we were all right that the Mercury team would win.

I believe the final score was 6-5 after penalty shootouts or whatever they're called. Sorry, I know less about this football (we call it soccer) than I do about the dominant football code in Australia. :)

I seem to recall that some astrologers give the ascendant to the team that kicks off at the beginning of the game. This could be interpreted as 'starting the war.' So in the current chart, where Mercury seems to be the stronger, we could hope that England doesn't kick off tonight (or tomorrow morning if you're in my part of the world).
Hi Sue :)
well, I've always liked the idea that the team who kicks off should be given the ascendant and its lord. It seems a logical step, since this is the team that initiates the game. However, the problem is it doesn't always work.
England kicked off tonight, so they are shown by Jupiter, who is in a right sorry state: cadent and detrimented. I think this reflects the poor team performance compared to Portugal, who's ruler Mercury is angular in the 7th, and has strength by face. Certainly it's true that the Portugese were in England's half of the pitch for most of the 2nd half! That debilitated Jupiter also suggested that our team would be weakened in some way, and there's no doubt that we seemed to lose all our impetus when Rooney limped off injured after half an hour. From that point on our midfield looked like a spent force.
Another interesting point is that Mercury is just leaving combustion, and that said to me that whoever would be represented by Mercury would perhaps feel a marked decrease in pressure after the game. The fact too, that Jupiter is in the dignity of Mercury shows that Mercury would hold the authority.
It's quite easy to see all this, of course, with 20/20 hindsight, but nonetheless I think it's a good idea to hold this kind of "astrological post-mortem", to see what we can glean from the chart.
As a fascinating aside, I received a text from Ficina with 5 minutes to go of normal time, when England were losing 2-1. It read something like "Don't panic, we're going to score a last-minute goal!" So it proved (even though it was scandalously disallowed!), and I have to take my hat off to Fi' for that amazing prediction! :'

And the penalty shoot-out? Hmm, I dunno how you read that in the chart. Pluto on the ascendant maybe?: intense, heart-stopping tension?
Anyway, we lost - beaten by a referee from a country that we beat 3-0 in the group stages. (Not that I'm suggesting scullduggery, you understand. No, no, no.....) :sg :-sk
--
Cheers...

well, I've always liked the idea that the team who kicks off should be given the ascendant and its lord. It seems a logical step, since this is the team that initiates the game. However, the problem is it doesn't always work.
Exactly! And a perfect example of this is the France v England game, when England kicked off.
It's quite easy to see all this, of course, with 20/20 hindsight
Very true! :-T
but nonetheless I think it's a good idea to hold this kind of "astrological post-mortem", to see what we can glean from the chart

It's an interesting exercise, but it is my opinion, based on experience, that each and every chart can only be judged on its own merit. Occasionally a method or theory works more than once, but I've yet to find one that works consistently when predicting the outcomes of sporting events. We can do post-analyses til the cows come home - it's getting it right BEFOREHAND that counts! :wink:
As a fascinating aside, I received a text from Ficina with 5 minutes to go of normal time, when England were losing 2-1. It read something like "Don't panic, we're going to score a last-minute goal!" So it proved (even though it was scandalously disallowed!), and I have to take my hat off to Fi' for that amazing prediction!
Thanks :) Actually it was when the score was 1-1, and I'd suggested earlier on the forum that there might be a last minute goal when Mercury hit the Desc. - which would also have fitted with my 2-1 prediction. However, as we know....... :(
And the penalty shoot-out? Hmm, I dunno how you read that in the chart.
Nor me. Purely in betting terms, when you put money on a final score it only applies to normal time, i.e. after 90 minutes.

Hi Sue :)
I?ve never been very comfortable with the idea of giving the ascendant to the favourites. Even going by betting odds, this isn?t always an objective thing to do and sometimes there is such a very slim margin between the two teams as to make it meaningless. And I find the term ?favourites? to be open to interpretation. Are people voting for their favourite that they want to win or for whom they think will win? This might not really matter but I just find this way of doing it too open.
I think people who use this method would disagree with you. John Frawley, for one, has had excellent results. Have you personally found this not to work in practice? I have to say that it is much easier to predict "ordinary" matches when one team is on its home ground and the 1st house automatically goes to them.

I tried the "castle besiegement" method (using 4th/10th) a while ago but it didn't work. As you say, perhaps it only works when the match involves a team defending the cup.

Hi Ficina,

Sorry about your loss. There's always the Rugby tonight (my tonight) between Australia and England. England might win that. :) Australians are sometimes too arrogant for their own good when it comes to sport so I don't mind if England wins. I've had a look at the chart and it's a possibility. Depends on who kicks off. :D
I think people who use this method would disagree with you. John Frawley, for one, has had excellent results.

Yes, but he has also had some disasterous results. If you read his interview in Garry's book 'The Year Zero' he talks about how, once people started expecting it of him, his results got progressively worse to the point where he stopped doing it.

These charts are not so much event charts but rather commencement charts. It is a moment in time that activates the event that will unfold. This is one reason why I like the idea that the team that kicks off gets the ascendant. It is that kick that activates the chart and is crucial in the unfoldment of what lies ahead. Without that kick, the event doesn't happen. I also like the idea that I can look at the chart and try to interpret it without any bias about which team is which. It's not until kickoff that I can then attribute the 1st/7th to a particular team having already worked out which significator is the stronger and should win the game.
Have you personally found this not to work in practice?
To be honest, I am not basing my views on empirical evidence but rather on what makes good astrological sense to me. There is a precident for this method that goes back hundreds of years but whenever I take on a particular method the most important thing for me is that it makes sense. Astrology can be such a personal thing. Different methods might work for different people. Good interpretation requires some sort of relationship with the chart you're working on. If there's no affinity for what you're working on then the chances of being successful aren't good. You're right when you say that none of the methods seem to work all of the time. But I have to wonder whether there is a method that can be expected to give consistent results if used properly. Dennis Elwell says that charts can always be trusted to show the reality of what is happening, even if we don't recognise it straight away. This is why sometimes we see things in the post mortem that we don't see when originally attempting to delineate the chart. In the post mortem, we often know where to look.
I tried the "castle besiegement" method (using 4th/10th) a while ago but it didn't work. As you say, perhaps it only works when the match involves a team defending the cup.
With a 'castle besiegement' chart you take the 4th and the 1st, giving the 4th to the holders of the cup and the 1st to the challengers. And 'castle besiegement' charts are only for matches where there is a cup at stake. This method is not used for any other matches.

Sorry about your loss.
Thanks, Sue, I think we're all gradually getting over it now. Let us know how the Rugby goes!
once people started expecting it of him, his results got progressively worse to the point where he stopped doing it.
I know the feeling! :???: Still, good for him that he admits getting it wrong sometimes.
It's not until kickoff that I can then attribute the 1st/7th to a particular team having already worked out which significator is the stronger and should win the game.
Yes, I see your point and appreciate the logic behind it. However, when I looked at that method during the World Cup games, it didn't always work. But I do wonder whether it's not such a good idea to look at so many games in quick succession - as happens during these tournaments. The charts are just too similar.
but whenever I take on a particular method the most important thing for me is that it makes sense. Astrology can be such a personal thing. Different methods might work for different people.
I think you're right there. I've tried so many different methods and I'm always willing to try new ones. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to interpreting charts, many roads lead to Rome! There is no definitively "correct" method.
You're right when you say that none of the methods seem to work all of the time. But I have to wonder whether there is a method that can be expected to give consistent results if used properly.
It would be nice if there were, but I don't believe there is. And I don't think that it really matters. I used to think it mattered. In fact I minded a lot when I got it wrong. But now I don't, and I think that's ok :)
In the post mortem, we often know where to look.
True, but then there is this tendency to "make things fit". I can be quite sceptical about that at times....
With a 'castle besiegement' chart you take the 4th and the 1st, giving the 4th to the holders of the cup and the 1st to the challengers.
Yes, sorry, it was so long ago that I did it, I'd forgotten :oops:
And 'castle besiegement' charts are only for matches where there is a cup at stake. This method is not used for any other matches.
Yes, I'm glad you pointed that out. Explains why it wasn't working for me!

Thanks for your thoughts, Sue :)

Oh well didn't quite get it right.

I thought Deb's predictions of problems with the masses an interesting one though. I have been hearing all about it up here.

A last minute goal Ficina - nearly.

I did think a draw was a distinct possibility but there had to be a winner.

Is anyone going to bother with the semi's? Might be easier to predict as more at stake for the teams?
Neil
Online Dating::Star Sign Compatibility

"Honesty's the Best Policy" - Miguel de Cervantes

Portugal v Holland

Portugal v Holland 7.45pm Lisbon

Jupiter v Mercury, yet again! Jupiter is still in detriment of course but has just recently moved into its own terms. Moon is ruled by Jupiter and in Mercury's detriment. This could mean that the Jupiter team dictates terms and has the run of the play, but will not necessarily win, given that Moon is in 12th. There is also a chain of receptions between Moon/Jupiter/Mercury. Deadlock?

I am giving Jupiter to Portugal, who are the home team and (very marginally) the favourites. However, we can look to see who kicks off and perhaps adjust accordingly :???:

Moon in Jupiter's sign often means lots of goals but not so sure with it being in 12th. This is another difficult one but I'm going for a win for Portugal with a one-goal margin. Possibly 2-1 but I'm not putting money on it :D

Re: Portugal v Holland

Ficina wrote:Portugal v Holland 7.45pm Lisbon

I am giving Jupiter to Portugal, who are the home team and (very marginally) the favourites. However, we can look to see who kicks off and perhaps adjust accordingly :???:

Moon in Jupiter's sign often means lots of goals but not so sure with it being in 12th. This is another difficult one but I'm going for a win for Portugal with a one-goal margin. Possibly 2-1 but I'm not putting money on it :D
Glad to see you haven't given up Ficina. I haven't had any bets on these matches yet (probably just as well). I think portugal will win and that it will be with the run of play. Could be close again though. A draw full time? and then lots of goals? Or perhaps a few goals ruled out?
Neil
Online Dating::Star Sign Compatibility

"Honesty's the Best Policy" - Miguel de Cervantes