The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

magi astrology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: magi astrology Reply with quote

I find magi astrology very interesting. What do other people think of it? Is it something that complements traditional astrology or is it better?
epurdue

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link with more information?
Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're heavy on Chiron, and have developed their own system. Think long and hard before you send them any money. I understand they rarely respond and aren't too good about returning lessons, etc. This was a few years ago and they may have changed for the better since then. They had a book out at one time, and if what they do interests you, you might find it on ABE books or other used book outlets. From what I've read they have almost nothing in common with traditional western astrology. Be careful.

Tom
Debbie

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Magi astrology link Reply with quote

Here is the link to their website
http://www.magiastrology.com/index.html
Debbie

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: responding to Magi Society Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I do have their book. They have a heavy accent on declinations and chiron.
janeg

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tom said, there is very little in their work that corresponds with traditional astrology, other than the fact they use planets. I have their Ephemeris and a number of their books as well as their software. It is heavily based on declinations, mid-points and planet pairings; haven't looked at any of it for a few years but after playing with it for awhile felt it was over-hyped; certainly, I did not feel that it improved on what could be discovered from traditional methods.

They hype themselves as very old society with "centuries of experience at interpreting birth charts" and, when they do present any traditional chart analysis insights, they act as if they invented them, for example, in the Ephemeris there is a chapter called Magi Astrology Solves Old Mysteries and they begin by saying look for tight aspects and the more planets that are in aspect to a particular planet, the more power and influence that particular planet has over the entire birth chart; hardly new insights. They also say things like An 'enhancement aspect' between two planets occurs whenever there is a trine or conjunction, parallel or contra-parallel of the two planets and define 12 Super enhancement aspects that occur statistically more often in the birth charts of super successful people. All twelve involve one or more of Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune.

They have also developed what they Magi Sequences and Magi Quads which are basically planet pairings and Midpoint 'crossings'. Find it funny that they claim they're an ancient society while also coming up with entirely new jargon and methods to analyze a chart; trying to have their cake and eat it too.
Debbie

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Declinations Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. How much importance does traditional astrology give to declinations? Does anyone know of any books or articles that deal with declinations besides the Magi?
janeg

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge early astrologer's did not count parallels and contra-parallels (declinational contacts) as aspects. They do tell us to take a planet's latitude into account but I believe that is with regard to finding the correct place of the planets in a chart.

Zain considered parallel and contra-parallel aspects in all branches of astrology: natal, horary, electional and mundane. He described the effect as one which would slowly cause the significations to intensify. He considered the parallel as similar to a conjunction and the contra-parallel similar to an opposition.
Debbie

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Zain Reply with quote

Thankx. I will look up Zain.
janeg

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest spot to check out his take on aspects is in his book on Horary Astrology at http://www.lightofegypt.com/index.aspx?action=view_articles&folderToUse=courses/Book_08_Horary_Astrology
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: