Classical Use of Triplicities

Hello...I was reading on this site "The Classical Use of Triplicities" and would be appreciative of recommendations on books on how to understand it and also apply such to charts more indepth..any books that also includes Neptune, Pluto, Uranus...would be great...but I guess those would be contemporary/modern. In any case basic direction would be welcomed.

Thanks
Klori

Try to find Lee Lehman's book Essential Dignties.

I don't think you'll find anything that assigns triplicity rulers to the three outer planets. Some authors have assigned domicile rulerships and exaltation rulers to them. While the vast majority if not all moderns would give Uranus to Aquarius, Neptune to Pisces, and Pluto to Scorpio, there are some differences in exaltation assignations. I've seen Neptune and Uranus exalted in Leo for example. I've also seen Uranus exalted in Gemini .Traditional astrologers tend to avoid using the three outers with the dignities.

Tom

If I recall properly, Sepharial didn?t agree with uranus put as the ruler of aquarius... he thought that Uranus should be attributed to the triplicity of the air, and Neptune to the triplicity of water.
Pluto wasn?t discovered yet, so obviously he doesn?t talk about it.

Yuzuru

If I recall properly, Sepharial didn?t agree with uranus put as the ruler of aquarius... he thought that Uranus should be attributed to the triplicity of the air, and Neptune to the triplicity of water.
Pluto wasn?t discovered yet, so obviously he doesn?t talk about it.
Aleister Crowley took an interesting position on dignities for the outers. He assigned the then two known outer planets to the cardinal (I think Uranus I'm away from my books) mutable (Neptune ?) and fixed to the asteroids. I might have this mixed up and if it differes from something else I've posted her what I posted elsewhere is correct.

I don't know about Sepharial; Kim would.

Tom

Re: Classical Use of Triplicities

Klori wrote:Hello...I was reading on this site "The Classical Use of Triplicities" and would be appreciative of recommendations on books on how to understand it and also apply such to charts more indepth
Klori
James Holden translated the Abu'Ali Al-Khayyat's
"The Judgement of Nativities" is a good soure to see how
arabic astrologer using Triplicities.
Puka from Taiwan

Certificate of Medieval Astrology
Student of Astrology(Western,Vedic,Chinese)

Thanks Puka for the suggestion of that book. I did get the "Essential Dignities"...not impressed with it. Frankly, this sites articles, forum posts and overall is more educational and informative.

Klori.

Hello Klori and the rest...

Holden's book is a good book on natal/arabic astrology. Just remember that the Arabs used a different form of trip rulers than Lilly and they ALWAYS use 3 trip rulers [Fire: Sun Jupiter Saturn], [Air: Saturn Mercury Jupiter] [Earth: Venus Moon Mars] [Water: Venus Mars Moon] in these orders for diurnal/day chart. The first and the second trip rulers for each element are swapped for nocturnal/night charts. The third trip rulers remain the same. Abu Ali Al-Khayat took most of his materials from his teacher who took much from Dorotheus of Sidon, hence these trip rulers are called Dorotheus Triplicity rulers. I have used them extensively in my natal and chart readings and most of the time they seem to work.'

There are two ways where the triplicity rulers can be used.
1) To fine tune each house meanings giving three different planets to three different areas of each house, e.g. third house = siblings, but 1st trip ruler = elder siblings or superiors, 2nd trip ruler = siblings around the same age or peers, 3rd trip ruler = younger siblings or subordinates.

2) To determine which third part of life is good/bad (like what you read in the article "Classical Use of Triplicities"...

If you need more info on how to use them, please let me know...

Hello everybody...

Could anyone please tell me where I can find books written by Vettius Valens (translation of course). I know that Project Hindsight carry these books (becasue they tranlated them) but they're out of print. I am really interested in getting these books (second or third hand is fine)...These are the only traditional/ancient books I wat that I don't have yet.

Thanx...

I believe PH are bringing them back into publication as a new series.

Otherwise, the book worth getting (in fact worth getting anyway) is Greek Horoscopes by Neugebauer and Van-Hoesen, published by the American Philosophical Society. You can find it listed on this page (where you can order it online). It has many charts by Valens and is excellent value at $20 plus postage.

http://www.aps-pub.com/subjects.htm

Project Hindsight is supposed to publish a series of translations under the name of The Astrologer's Edition. One can subscribe for the series or, I believe, purchse single editions (at a higher price). The work is centered around Valens' Anthology, Firmicus' Matheus, Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos, and Hephistio of Thebes Apotelesmatics. Translator Robert Schmidt says these are four different approaches to Hellenistic astrology. If one wishes to become a minor authority in Hellenistic astrology this seems to be the way to go.

Although the prices may seem high, compared to other scholarly works they are cheap, so grab them if you're interested. Valens is supposed to be published first and I think it is due out almost any day. Go to the site for more information:

http://www.projecthindsight.com/product ... l#contents

or write any of these e-mail addresses:

info@projecthindsight.com
info@phaser.org
goldenhindpress@verizon.net

As Deb mentioned, Greek Horoscopes is a great bargain as well.

Tom

Back to the triplicities rulers theme, Claude Dariot also uses them in the same way as described in the article (and as Astrojin describes above). His text isn?t very detailed but it is interesting as an example of this technique continuing into the late 16th century.

It should be available by Ascella though I?m not sure how easy it is to get any book from Ascella nowadays and notice the website has been down for some months now.