compiled by D. Houlding
Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

William Ramesey on Mundane Astrology-new annotated version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane Astrology & World Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: William Ramesey on Mundane Astrology-new annotated version Reply with quote

Stephen Birchfield has just released a retyped and annotated version of William Ramesey's Astrologiae Restaurata (Astrology Restored). To be more specific book 4 of the work entitled 'Astrologia Munda'.

This can be downloaded as a free pdf here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/birchfield.html

Book 4 of Astrologiae Restaurata is a key resource for traditional mundane astrology. Indeed Stephen describes it as 'the closest thing we have to an accessible textbook on traditional mundane astrology'. It will be a valuable resource for any student of the art. Many thanks to Stephen for producing a free retyped and annotated version of the work. Thumbs up

Stephen has written a very useful introduction to the work which puts Ramesey's book into its historical context within traditional mundane astrology. Very Happy

Mark

Epictetus

Last edited by Mark on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
margherita

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: William Ramesey on Mundane Astrology-new annotated versi Reply with quote

MarkC wrote:
Stephen Birchfield has just released a retyped and annotated version of William Ramesey's Astrologiae Restaurata (Astrology Restored). To be more specific book 4 of the work entitled 'Astrologia Munda'.

Thanks Steven (and Mark for letting know).
I have the original text but for me- which I'm a foreigner- it's easier to read it like that,

margherita
Mark

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the original text but for me- which I'm a foreigner- it's easier to read it like that,

Hi Margherita,

Even for those of us for whom English is a first language the facsimile versions of the book can be heavy going with the old English script. I have a Kessinger edition but its not that good a reproduction. Sad

Kim Farnell did do an annotated and reset electronic version of the entire volume of Astrologie Restaurata some years back which can still be purchased via her website.

http://www.kimfarnell.co.uk/work1.htm

However, Kim has worked on a substantially updated version of this for several years which should hopefully see the light of day when Kim gets it published. Wink

Kim gave a very interesting talk on the life of William Ramesey at the History of Astrology Conference at the Astrological Lodge last year. I believe a recording of the talk can be purchased for anyone interested.

http://www.astrolodge.co.uk/index.php?p=contacts

As many members will know the entire work is also a crucial English language source on electional astrology. Vivian Robson's book on electional astrology was basically a shortened summary of Ramesey's material from Astrologie Restaurata.

Epictetus

Last edited by Mark on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
PFN

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already reading it, and it's amazing. Not only because it's easier, but the comments and introduction adds something to ponder on. Also, there are concepts usefull to natal astrology as well, presented clearly than we see in some other sources.
Mark

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am already reading it, and it's amazing. Not only because it's easier, but the comments and introduction adds something to ponder on. Also, there are concepts usefull to natal astrology as well, presented clearly than we see in some other sources.

I agree. However, I misrepresented this work by just mentioning the excellent introduction and annotated notes to the text. Stephen has also gone to the trouble of providing us with extremely useful appendices at the end of the text. These include an extended excerpt from Abu Mashārs: On Historical Astrology [On the Great Conjunctions] and material on the use of the lots/parts in mundane astrology. Wonderful Lala Happy

Epictetus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane Astrology & World Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: