Missing friend

Hello to all, I am a natal astrologer who is learning horary. I have a friend that is missing since this Monday night. No one has heard from him. I have done a horary chart but alas, perhaps being to close to the issue I cannot quite decide the answer. The question I asked is: Where is Chris?
August 3, 2004, 11:06:01 am, Tucson, AZ USA. Venus in the 9th, ruler of the ASC describes me as the querent. The quesited is a male, 30's. He left our house late on monday night. about 12:30 am, after playing computer games with my husband. He was to travel to his mother's about an hour away. We have called all hospitals and jails in the area and finally his mother reported him missing to the police. My questions (I probably have more...) is which house do I use? 7th for missing persons, or 11th, for a friend? Can I use Mars to represent him? Should I turn the chart and look at the 11th as cusp of 1st? Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Pat

You use the 11th house to signify your friend. I'll have to take a look at it, but right off the bat, your missing friend is shown by the Sun in Leo in the radical 10th house. The Sun is well dignified by being in it's own sign.

I'll have to look at this longer because I do see a number of bad signs here together with some good ones, and since this is a really important issue I don't want to get it wrong.

He's in his turned 12th house, opposite Neptune. Neptune spreads confusion and in general fogs things up. Perhaps he's lost, or perhaps he's mentally confused. The 12th house also represents mental hospitals. Have you checked them out to look for him as well?

You'll use the Moon to show the course of events, what lead up to this and where it's going. The Moon has made a number of tough contacts in this chart. It started out being conjunct Uranus, so he's had some sharp shock to his system, and Uranus also represents a separation, which could also show the very fact that he's missing. Next the the Moon was opposite Mercury, which could show a fight, then it was opposite Jupiter, and at the same time square with Pluto. Then the Moon will be trine Saturn. The Moon finally ends up being square with Venus.

I'll look at this more later.
Mark F

I wanted to point out a few more things that I see here, but first realize that I am not a professional astrologer, I?m a tour guide. This is not my home turf. With such a bad situation, I wasn?t at all sure if I was capable of saying anything intelligent or of helping you.

The turned 1st house (the radical 11th house) has both Mars and Mercury present in it. These could describe the missing guy?s home situation as being one of anger and disruptive communication, as Mercury is opposite Uranus. If that?s the case, then it?s no surprise that he didn?t want to go home. Mercury is in Virgo, a humane sign (capable of speech) and known to be a critical sign, which makes it more likely that he was at the receiving end of some verbal criticism from a powerful person at home. Even if the criticism of him doesn?t take place at his home, it?s on his mind. The 1st house shows both the person?s home and what?s inside his head.

The Sun (the missing guy) is angular as it?s it opposition to Neptune. Being angular this screams for attention. So at the heart of this situation is a person whose mind is clouded by confusion, and is going through a lot of turmoil with wild swings of emotion. Saturn is the only other angular major planet in this chart, so it?s key to understanding the chart. Saturn indicates things like depression, loneliness, or the need to be alone. This very weak but powerfully placed Saturn is sextile with an equally weak Jupiter, so fear is going hand in hand with a lack of confidence. Like I said before, the missing guy is in his own turned 12th house. To put all of this together, the guy is in a place where he?s feeling depressed, alone, afraid, and hopeless with no confidence. But I think he could perhaps be overreacting, that the situation might not be as bad as he thinks. His mind is filled with confusion and he?s not thinking clearly at the moment. His home life is a place with a lot of anger and pointed, confrontational talk. So he?s decided to not go home, but to remove himself to a secret place where he can be by himself. I wouldn?t rule out that he?s checked himself into a mental hospital, but it could also be that he?s just gone off to look for some solitude.

After some thought, I?d say that the big theme here is one of mental illness and not a violent crime. The placement of the Moon shows the person?s mental state. The Moon is in the 6th house opposed to Jupiter in the 12th house. The 6th house is a sign of illness. Saturn, which plays such a large part in describing his situation, rules his turned 6th house. Notice also that the Sun makes no other contacts with any other planets. So the guy is alone. I had wondered whether Saturn might be seen as symbolizing the grave, as it rules the radical 4th house, but the other signs in the chart point to mental illness and distress, and not to violence, i.e., there have been no contacts with the Sun, the Sun is the natural significator of life, and it?s strongly dignified by being in his own sign. All of this adds up to him going of by himself to a place of his own, either in the physical or symbolic sense. The Moon?s last contact shows the end result here. It makes a difficult square with Venus, which is both the querent and the ruler of the turned 10th house ? his mother. So he makes a return to both of them, but only after some difficulty. Just as an aside, I toyed with the idea that Venus also rules the radical 8th house ? death, but I set that aside because of the other indicators of life here and the presence of the part of fortune in the 8th house. I?ll take a guess here too. Venus is in the sign of Mercury, which is the person who might have had a dispute in the missing guy?s home. Could there be maybe a stepfather in his home, someone who the mother values and who has been critical of the missing guy? This is just a guess and I am not at all sure about it.

My final thought here is that with so much emphasis on the 12th house, there is a lot here that we can?t see, and that the people involved either can?t see or can?t reveal. He?s going to come back but this is not an easy situation.
Last edited by MarkF on Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark F

Right on!

Mark, Thank you so much for your time and concern. You pretty much hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I knew he was going through some kind of mental turmoil, and confusion. And yes his mother (Scorpio stellium in 12th) is meddlesome and confrontational according to him. He resents her but is unable to address his true feelings to her. She constantly worries about him and will pay bills, etc., behind his back. He is a Capricorn who is completely unmotivated. I attriubute that to depression.
But the good news is his mother just called and said he has returned home safely. Unfortunately we have been unable to speak to our friend to know what happened. I am sure it is as you said, he found (has) a secret place to go. Just couldn't go home.
Again, thank you and I think you underestimate you abilities and talent with regard to Horary.
Kind Regards, Pat