Chris Brennan wrote:Wait, so this only applies to the last section in chapter 22 though, right? That is the only one that is in the small typeface in the Greek. That still leaves a pretty extensive lot list in the previous sections leading up to that point.
Yeah, Chris, that's right. (I see you're among the few who read the critical edition itself. :)) There are plenty of lots from the text prior this insertion, and they cannot be denied to be genuine, from Hellenistic perspective.
Actually, it seems to be a very good probe to concentrate on lots when investigating textual transmission between authors. At least, one good probe, which unveils a great deal of stuffs. :)

Osthanes wrote:
You know, there is a vast list of lots in Olympiodorus but it appears only in one manuscript, Laurentianus 28, 34.
Is there a source online? I searched the Warburg electronic library and found Greenbaum's translation of Olympiodorus, but no Laurentianus version. Thanks.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

Hi Curtis,

no need for Warburg copies, just check the critical edition made by de Boer, Leipzig 1962. And here's a link to CCAG 1 (uploaded by Chris Brennan) to see the contents of Laurentianus, pp. 60-72. The text is referenced on p. 68 (f. 130) and is partially edited on pp. 167-170.

Levente

Martin Gansten wrote:Thanks; that's very helpful. No horses! :) Did the Arabs invent that one, I wonder, or the Indians? Both cultures held horses in high regard...
As an update to this old query, I just found one text witness with a variant reading: instead of the Lot of Horses, it has the Lot of the Mother-in-Law. :D Does anyone know of a Greek or Arabic source mentioning such a lot?
https://astrology.martingansten.com/