Out of curiosity I thought I would secretly join up to Facebook and have a look at what it's all about. But apparently it doesn't seem possible to join Facebook in obscurity.

I'm not sure know why but I've always felt averse to the idea of facebook, skype, text messages, microsoft messenger, twitter and so on. Emails are bad enough, and my touch screen mobile phone is not safe in my clumsy hands, so I don't even like to use that. When I do text, I always spell out words like 'you', so I think I defeat the object.

Here is the link for the page - Kim Farnell, Frank Piechowski and Mi?os?awa Krogulska are to blame for this, and I'm not quite sure what happens next but will add a link to the Facebook page from this forum index soon.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyscript/163185047028695

> Out of curiosity I thought I would secretly join up to Facebook and have a look at what it's all about. But apparently it doesn't seem possible to join Facebook in obscurity.

It is possible. I'll create you a dummy account if you like.

We now have 105 people signed up to the page. So that it doesn't get really boring I'll boost it with something to read over the next few days - and some fetching photos :-)
www.kimfarnell.co.uk

Deb wrote: I'm not sure know why but I've always felt averse to the idea of facebook, skype, text messages, microsoft messenger, twitter and so on. Emails are bad enough, and my touch screen mobile phone is not safe in my clumsy hands, so I don't even like to use that. When I do text, I always spell out words like 'you', so I think I defeat the object.
Don't feel bad. I use punctuation in my text messages.

We now have 105 people signed up to the page.
Cool . Hopefully, you will all keep posting on the Skyscript forums too just to keep up appearances!
I'm not sure know why but I've always felt averse to the idea of facebook, skype, text messages, microsoft messenger, twitter and so on. Emails are bad enough, and my touch screen mobile phone is not safe in my clumsy hands, so I don't even like to use that. When I do text, I always spell out words like 'you', so I think I defeat the object.
Is this the same woman that did web design for a living and does all those clever layouts here?

Still I feel exactly the same. Although I have tackled Facebook. Its a bit awkward being an Aquarian technophobe as I am always made to feel I am letting the side down astrologically. :(

Guess it must be my Taurus rising. :???:

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Not about being Olds, Facebook has no respect for privacy and I for one will never join. Nothing to do with technology, everything to do with ethics and the lack there of.

my opinion of course.

Granny.

PS: Don't do it Deb! Don't drink the Coolaid! (tongue, somewhat, in cheek)

Facebook has become such an integral part of contemporary society that I think Kim's idea is an excellent one, and, Deb, it was spirited of you to give it a try in view of your previous caution regarding the site! All manner of organisations and websites can be freely and effectively given publicity at Facebook, and I believe that those that do not have this kind of connection are demonstrably at a disadvantage and at greater risk of becoming isolated outposts than was formerly the case.

Although for entirely personal reasons I have been taking an extended outright break from participation in Facebook since April, this does not reflect my feelings about the site as a whole or its usefulness for networking and publicity. On my eventual return, adding the Skyscript page to those I am proud to be associated with will be close to the top of my 'to do' list.

In short, good move!

Cool . Hopefully, you will all keep posting on the Skyscript forums too just to keep up appearances!
Facebook is a whole other animal - it certainly shouldn't detract from what's going on here.

And Facebook is what you make it - there are ways to control your level of privacy.

Skyscript's page now has 127 people associated with it - who clicked to say they like it. (19 people came and had a quick nose without liking it.)

I doubt there are any prizes on offer, but if those of us there recommend the page I don't think it will take too long for the numbers to get into four figures.

Shall we see how fast we can achieve that?
www.kimfarnell.co.uk

Hi Granny

I think that is exactly what I was saying myself, out loud, when Kim, Frank and Mila disagreed and decided to settle the argument by setting up the Skyscript Facebook page whilst I went to fetch a drink.

But now I do see that its very different and can compliment the site resources.

Kim - am working down my list of things to do and will add the link v. soon!
Deb